New SC5000 v1.0.3 Firmware enables Rekordbox® import directly into player

Hi Guys, we’re happy to announce a very significant FW update for the Denon DJ SC5000 Prime media player. Below is the official press release going out later today to all media/press, but as you’ll see, the SC5000 has a feature that many of you have been waiting for with great anticipation…

FIRMWARE FOR GROUND-BREAKING SC5000 PRIME™ MEDIA PLAYER UPGRADED TO VERSION 1.0.3

Direct import of rekordbox® database highlighting the new firmware’s greater functionality.

Cumberland RI, USA (November 2, 2017)—Denon DJ (www.denondj.com), a leading manufacturer of premium DJ products and solutions, today announced that their revolutionary SC5000 Prime media player has received a significant upgrade with new v1.0.3 firmware. The new firmware will give DJs performance enhancing pitch resolution, and most importantly, will now import rekordbox® files and database content directly into the SC5000.

A quick re-cap of the stunning Denon DJ SC5000 Prime media player: Winner of two DJ Mag Tech Awards for ‘Innovative New Product’ and ‘Ultimate Club Deck,’ the SC5000 Prime sets a new standard for ease of use and comprehensive creative features. It is a professional unit with 7-inch multi-touch display that enables gestures and swiping for the ultimate DJ expression and immediacy of interaction. Adding dual-layer playback on a single unit, making it possible to mix a full DJ set on just one player, plus on-board trigger pads for expressive live performance, the SC5000 represents the future of professional DJ performance, right here, right now.

The new 1.0.3 firmware delivers two important upgrades, which significantly improve, still further, the SC5000’s operational effectiveness:

• Direct import of rekordbox® database — automatically and elegantly converts hot-cues, saved loops and playlists into Engine format, directly within the SC5000 player

• Adjusted pitch resolution for more accurate BPM setting during DJ performance

The new 1.0.3 firmware is a solid indication of Denon DJ’s commitment to continuous improvement for their revolutionary Prime Series equipment.

The link below, also includes new firmware for the X1800 Prime mixer, attending to minor fixes

X1800 Prime Version 1.1.1

Fixes:

Fixed an issue where the Master output was favoring left or right channel depending on position of the knob while in mono.

The FX list is now automatically refreshed after updating so a factory reset is no longer required.

We hope you guys enjoy your new FW update - do let us know your thoughts

Here’s the link for the download area: http://denondj.com/sc5000prime

rekordbox® is a registered trademark of Pioneer DJ Corporation. No endorsement or affiliation is claimed or implied.

5 Likes

And here’s some FAQ’s for you guys regarding the above SC5000 v1.0.3. Rekordbox® feature:

Denon DJ SC5000 Rekordbox® Import FAQ (V 1.0.3):

The Denon SC5000 Rekordbox® Import feature allows for DJs with song libraries created in Rekordbox® to seamlessly and effortlessly plug into a Denon Prime system and have access to all Rekordbox® playlists and songs, including hot cues and memory loops.

Q: How does this work?

A: It’s a simple as sticking in a Rekordbox® prepared drive into an SC5000 and then pressing ‘Yes’ to import.

Q: What information is imported?

A: Playlists, Songs, Hot Cues and Memory Point Loops. If a hot cue color has been selected, that color is imported, if not, the default Engine Prime hot cue colors are used.

Q: How long does this process take?

A: That depends on several factors such as database size, and drive speed and drive type. On a USB 3.0 drive, one can expect an import speed of roughly 300 tracks per minute. This may significantly vary depending on drive type or if the tracks are being re-imported.

Q: Some of my Cues/Loops have imported early! How do I fix this?

A: While Denon DJ has tried to account for as many file formats as possible, there is a chance that some files may result in Hot Cues and Loops importing with a slight offset. This can be corrected on the SC5000 by holding Shift and then pressing the Zoom/Grid Edit knob for 1 second to enter the Cue/Loop offset mode. While in this mode, the on screen buttons can be used to adjust for cue/loop offset.

Q: What happens to my Rekordbox® collection?

A: In short, nothing. The SC5000 accesses the Rekordbox® database in a read only fashion and does not make any changes to the Rekordbox® collection.

5 Likes

Hey @paul_denondj,quick question: is the beatgrid information imported as well? I’m currently creating a clone of my gigging Rekordbox drive to use with the updated SC5000 firmware, so I haven’t had a chance to try it yet–figured I’d ask in case you wanted to add it to the FAQ. Cheers.

This is great news while surprised it has been build into the firmware of the SC5000 and not being part of Engine.

I do have a couple of questions:

• can this also be done on the PC/Mac which maybe is faster is doing large number of files. Or at least all is analysed when you insert the drive.

• What does the SC5000 do when the engine database exceeds the 2.4Gb?

• Can you also add/merge this with mp3 from engine? Or will you have to use 2 drive 1 from pio and another from engine?

• I’m still on the Original FW do I first need to do the first update and then this one or can I go straight from 1.0 to 1.0.3?

2 Likes

Just dropping this here for the moment… myself or one of the Team will come back on specific Q’s soon

2 Likes

This. I always wait a couple of weeks after a firmware update before doing my gear and today was going to be the day. Looks like I’ll have to wait a few more… lol

1 Like

To roll several questions together. All the conversion is done by the SC5000 Prime itself, using its Multicore processor. With a speed of around 300 music files a minute, most DJs won’t need to worry about timings etc. You can always use a normal, Engine Prime stick, or completely un-analysed stick of tune in another SC5000 and play layer/layer.

The 2.4 GB database cap for sharing a database is still there for the moment, but as album art is part of that database size and Engine Prime Album art is much larger than the smaller art sizes that the import routine is expecting to see this won’t be a problem that many DJs should encounter. Plus, the workaround (use a hard drive for each SC5000) is still the workaround until the 2.4gb cap disappears in a future firmware.

Beat grid and wave form is not imported. Files need to be analyzed with the SC.

One could argue if beat grid is welcome to import.

The wave form I personally would not want.

1 Like

Would really like to update to this version, but like polderboy asked the release notes state you have to be on 1.02. And i can’t find 1.02 on the site anymore, which seems to make the new firmware useless to me. Aggregated versions would be the way to go of course, but in the meantime package the old firmware-updater into the same .zip please…

For clarification, an SC5000 owner can jump straight to v1.0.3, bypassing v1.0.2…

plus, users can jump straight to vs1.1.1 of the X1800 bypassing v1.1 too

1 Like

Just some info sharing:

Had a small problem with the Windows version of X1800 updater 1.1.1. Update did not run properly or exited after doing nothing. I ran Windows package 1.1.1 while version 1.1 was already installed from previous update.

Looking further, I decided to uninstall the 1.1 updater first and try to install 1.1.1 again (as admin), but it seems that the files where not properly cleaned up in “c:\Program Files (x86)\Denon DJ\X1800 Firmware Updater”. Was a hick-up on my computer, I think, because after a second try the “X1800 Firmware Updater” folder was gone and put there again with files from more recent date.

So, check if the right version is really installed if you experience similar behavior!

Thanks @Reese

I definitely have no need for the wave form, but the lack of beatgrid import is certainly a downer in that it’s probably the most time consuming thing to have to deal with. And while having hot cues/loops imported is nice and definitely a welcomed function, if the Beatgrid is offset then the user will have to go back and manually fix it–from the SC5000 hardware I’m assuming, if they want to add additional cues/loops with accuracy. I digress.

I still appreciate the update and Denon’s commitment to continuous improvement of the system–and the processing power of the SC5000 is certainly on display here, makes me wonder what other goodies are in store for the future that will take advantage of said power. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s a huge update! I’m glad you guys made it happen.

One question about the pitch resolution, though: I read somewhere else (DJWORX) that the resolution is 0.05%, now. Does that make sense when everybody got used to 0.02% from the CDJs?

i take it the engine prime desktop software will get this, too?

1 Like

I already pitched the idea to make it a quantize on/off setting in utility. I would like it to be off.

1 Like

Than please revise the release notes. They state otherwise. I found it to be confusing.

What about search? Are imported tracks directy searchable? Or need to be loaded one by one on the deck?

Imported tracks are directly searchable, yes…

1 Like

Resistance is futile.

Just ordered a pair of the SC5000 and Hoping for the the best experience.

BTW I’m buying it for what it is now and not for what it should be.

So if Serato support and more stuff gets added down the line… it will be a bonus. I haven’t been able to sleep since I demoed it… lol.

It will be part of my home rig… I’m pairing it with my trusted Rane 62.