New controller for second layer?

Tought i’d share this link , you can clearly see those slave players being used in a set

1 Like

Drop into it around 40 minutes and you’ll see the very rare sight of him actually playing on one (click for the moment he finds out they aren’t just there for show).

2 Likes

Of course they’re not there for show. :wink:

I think the words are “strategically placed” :+1:

1 Like

I just had a quick look, and all I noticed was three decks are running, but only one fader is up. Another one did go up for a while, but it did look a bit odd.

Has anyone actually seen these devices in use? I wonder if they’re just dummies, to get everyone excited for an upcoming release.

There have been the videos of DJ Pierre who he played acid music back then.

I doubt the video were computer graphic generated

Does “using” also count? :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Im not suggesting it was CGI - I just wonder if its just an empty box, judging by the way that the DJ avoids using them at all.

It’s easy to read too much into a video that’s incentivised to make people share their “look! What’s this new device?” posts and links.

It’s social media marketing

Sending away for a paper flyer catalog by enclosing a stamp addressed envelope isnt 2021 advertising any more

Such videos are made to make people talk about what the video is about and you, so it worked.

Sorry Muelle54 - what is your point? I am not sure I understand.

The videos above show it in use. There really isn’t much to it if I may speculate. I would imagine no sound card as it would utilize the sound card from the attached unit.

They are midi controllers designed to provide a surface for the second layer.

I know I have said not very exciting but I must also say it is a good idea from Denon to highlight the second layer. I for one, never use the layers in live performance as I find myself getting confused so this deck allowing a user to have a separate control surface brings life to the second layer capabilities of each SC5/6000 IMO. I’m not a 3-4 deck DJ so I wouldn’t use it but for those who can’t afford 2 decks or the paranoid ones who like backup gear, it’s a fantastic solution.

I don’t think DJ Pierre is a 3-4 deck user either and perhaps that’s why they got little use in the video OR he just wasn’t comfortable using them (we don’t know how much time he might have had to play with them before the set). Either way, not a very sophisticated tool so I don’t see any reason why the video should be questioned; they are slave terminals and will do what they are designed to just like a NI X1 does.

EDIT: I too am not suggesting you are saying the videos were doctored; I’m speaking generally. Also, I am sure I saw the cue points lit and etc. they were used a little in the video.

Bottom left deck at 11:25 shows him using itnot sure why video starts later than that

1 Like

I am exactly the same - this product is of no interest to me personally, for exactly the same reasons as Shain, but its great to see Denon keep pushing the boundaries - I am sure there are loads of people out there that would love this product.

1 Like

Hard enough to keep up with 2 decks personally as well.

The number of time i’m playing music from 1 deck and still manage to accidentally load a track on the live deck. Who does that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

All it takes is a hot girl in front of you lol

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

If you notice mr Pierre was using a Roland device also.

Nobody actually uses 4 decks all the time for an hour+ set. Usually most use 2 decks with some kind of add on.

James Hype does it.

What about Carl Cox?

These guys are not my genre but here’s why I and most don’t use 4 “decks”

4 decks = 4 simultaneous tracks

For me the equation looks like this

2 decks + 1 add on = 7 tracks

I would love to hear arguments now about 4 deck creativity pls :kissing_heart:

Everything has its place and purpose. From my experience I can tell, that when mixing house and techno - 4 decks usage is easy and fun. Gives a lot of creativity options. But when I mix Hardcore, Uptempo Hardcore - 2 decks is enough. High tempo and many changes in the tracks make it hard to make a good and logical mix from more than 2 decks.

1 Like