New CDJ export option in VirtualDJ

The latest early access build of VirtualDJ has a few new features, including a “CDJ export” option that will create a Pioneer format database on a USB drive and allow you to export tracks and playlists - including stem separated files.

When you drag tracks to the drive, VDJ will ask if you want to extract stems, which creates separate files for each stem - playable on your CDJ (or Prime player!).

They also added quick filters and colour rules for the browser.

4 Likes

Very, very, very interesting. In what format are these files exported? MP3s?

M4A it looks like.

I’ve just given it a quick try with an MP3, and the original has been exported untouched, and the stems are M4A.

The stems are acapella, beat, instrumental and melody. No kick, hihat or bass options.

This feature, although over the top in sound artifacts was probably needed because of latency or processor shortfalls for some VDJ owners on old laptops.

It would be interesting using the prime layers on one prime deck to play accapella on one layer and music instrumental on another layer

They’ll always be there. It’s not the fault of Atomix or their software. There are limits to what’s possible with the technology. You can’t unmix a cake. Once those eggs are broken and blended in with the flour, water etc. there’s no way to separate them. Even the high end software has artifacts.

You’re practicing on the wrong sort of mixer there I think. I understand what you mean and I know it’s not atomixs fault, it’s probably not even their programming that does the background work for stems. And yes there will always be those artefacts as you mention

It is their programming. They stated shortly after it was released, that the code was all theirs.

Yes, you are absolutely right: artifacts are not noticed if properly mixed with other bases. The only way to feel the difference between a REAL acappella and one extracted with STEMs is to reproduce the acappella alone without bases. In normal DJ use, the stems is fine too.

If STEMs could be implemented in our consoles or mixers, it would be a revolutionary feature for standalone use. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: