My experience with Engine Prime Sync Manager and Track Analysis

Well, I can’t be Your friend anymore?

I also don’t use sync. I never liked that feature even in Rekordbox, it was always a problematic function that was doing whatever it wanted to…

I always prepare my playlists, than just drag and drop them to my usb. Never sync…

lord have mercy :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I use sync without issue. I’ll be your friend

1 Like

Thanks fam. Sync gang!

I sync as well without any issues on a Mac.

“Friend” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also use sync but it is broken. Like PKtheDJ said its not really a sync manager. Sync should work both ways and its not, a least not 100%. For example. When you delete a song in a playlist or crate on PC and then sync it with the same playlist or crate on drive I won’t delete that song in a drive. The only way to do this is to delete playlist or crate on the drive and then sync (or perform “empty sync” so EP will delete playlist, crate and tracks on the drive). Also when you change order of songs in a playlist on the drive or delete a song and try to sync from the drive to PC (so your master collection matches than on the drive) it wont work (deleted song will be in PC playlist and order wont be updated also).

To avoid that I have to always perform “empty sync” and manually change or delete tracks in PC collection, so It matches drive collection.

let me check that, i believe it deletes on the export drive as well, if the track was packed using the sync manager

I checked it, and you are correct, it does not remove tracks that are no longer part of the crate.

It used to a few versions ago, they probably changed it. i will submit a bug report

1 Like

Its really annoying. I hope Denon will fix it.

1 Like

The inconsistency Prime Engine brings makes it a pile of shyte you can’t relay on, you need to explicitly dumb down your workflow to account for those little bugs and differences that are coming among various versions. It barely usable really. Person who has designed this probably never managed a library of music so its all “imagination” of some product manager it feels. It’s just so counterintuitive. And if you want to use any of the “features” they just don’t work exactly as they should or just changing their behaviour as I’ve mentioned. What a bloody shame & garbage this is. The Sync Manager is actually a poor mans Export function, calling it sync is just so misleading.

1 Like

Oh dear more unwanted elephants in the EP room.

@Crimson If only prime guys listened to their clients and put some more effort to make EP proper software, they could capture huge market share. I can deal with the fact that I need to use laptop still to deal with my standalone mixing console (doh!) but the fact that even BPM sorting yields different results between mixing console and the EP software is just useless and anyone who is serious about mixing music is going to have hard time. I could go on, but I will stop. Just makes me sad and a little angry the struggle to be dealing with this.

1 Like

For my part, I recover all my Serato music files which have been analyzed before with Mixed In Key and no problem (EP is not inevitable) I use Engine Prime for the import / export of my libraries . Most of the dj who pass on an X or Y controller have already more or less had at least one mixing software in their hands (VDJ, Traktor, SDJ or RB) and in view of the compatibility integrations of these software in EP c is a huge plus, I don’t see where the huge problem is! Indeed if these compatibilities did not exist, the software would be lagging behind on a certain point, but it does what it is supposed to do, Rekordbox took a little more than 5 years before it was stable and efficient and it has been shunned and neglected by CDJ users they mostly used Serato Dj and the worst part is that RB was at the base Mixe Vibe, so it’s not as if they were starting from scratch. I had RB in music preparation from the release (2010 to 2015) it was really worse than what Denon offers with E.P.

That remains my personal opinion!

@DjMell26 I hear your point, thanks for sharing. In my humble opinion this type of “exporting music” brought by rekordbox which set now industry standard just does not work well, its pure pain in the 4 letters. Or maybe no software just got it smooth enough yet. I dig the idea that in real life you would take a crate of vinyls prepared upfront, but in reality most Djs I talk to just want to have ability to quickly and easily manage their music library without software lock-in. The more abstraction is pushed on top of the actual files the worse it gets and then you need to wait 5 years to polish all edge cases. I remember times without “this export nonsense” and it was just a file manager with some internal database, serato/traktor you name it. Wasn’t pretty but worked much better to what we have now. :man_facepalming:

Vinyl from 1994 to almost always with lots of products from the Pio range! Then I started using my first Serato ScratchLive software towards the end of 2004 (VDJ had been around for a long time! But for me at that time, I considered it as a software for amateur dj) Scratchlive has never failed me and ditto for Serato dj and Serato Dj Pro for a few years and it has become too heavy a software, too much function and a little more GPU-intensive than the previous versions and less fluid. But I have remained a loyal Serato user with my Mk5s, I much prefer the vinyl mix (for feel and aesthetics) than the digital mix with X or Y controller, the only advantage I find is the weak space and weight which is minimal and saves time for installation and as they say you have to live with your time and unfortunately the software and the perfect controller does not exist, they all have their advantages and disadvantages, it is necessary just stay with the one where we feel best at ease and also according to our different needs. For me: Mixed in Key the best analysis tool and SDJ for stability and responsiveness and performance in DVS and E.P for import / export. After … I am perhaps not demanding enough ???

My favorite setup :

Seconde favorite setup :

My favorite setup for the nomadic and autonomous side :

@DjMell26 Thanks for sharing your story. Love the pictures. How come those devices are “silver white?”.

To make long story short, the only feature I am after is “rating stars”, Serato Dj does not have that and workaround is to put “emoji stars” in some unused field :man_facepalming:

I am currently using traktor 3 just to manage my library in a more sane way, even though prime4 comes with Serato Pro. What a shame.

Yeah, got it after :+1:

Oops !! Sorry, the “promo” was really not voluntary! I just changed the photo of the Prime Go!

1 Like

Video 1 - Creating a library in Serato Dj Pro

Video 2 - Refreshing the SDJ Pro library and importing into Engine Prime then exporting the library to a storage device

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @DjMell26, definitely helpful to others see the flow of how to manage the library.

PS: I’ve just solved yet another “not supported” feature which is Network Share support specifically made in a way not to work in EP - ¯\(ツ)/¯

1 Like

Are people still experiencing the problems with the Engine sync manager? Or has this been improved by now?