Most important music of our times

As the title suggests, what is the most important music of our times… could be a band, genre, track, movement etc etc…

The motivation for posting this is ITV News (UK) reporting a couple of stories tonight. One is the funeral of Shane McGowan (what a send off) and the other being a report on a Documentary about Simple Minds… it got me thinking about it.

Simple minds - New gold dream seems to be an underrated classic that fits the bill.

It’s 80s, 90s, rave culture, modern, meaningful.

My other contributions to this thread would mainly centre around De La Soul, ATCQ, some fairly obvious Indie stuff and some leftfeld DnB artists.

Fire away people, what are your influences?

1 Like

90’s Dance music + Italo Disco.

1 Like

90s swing, hiphop, jungle, garage and funky house for me!!!

All important genres that shaped my ear for music and the 90s were the best for when these genres were just killing it.

Also deep house from the 80s too. Stuff like Richie Rich Salsa House etc.

2 Likes

I’m going to agree with you on the Simple Minds choice only because of this.

2 Likes

100% :)… and Thatcher morphing into Stalin in the video feels like its never been more relevant.

1 Like

I think it’s hard to overstate how important The Prodigy were in bringing electronic music and rave culture into the mainstream - as a 90s teenager who was only into guitar based music, hearing something with similar crunch and heaviness coming from the “dance” scene absolutely blew my mind. I think they’ll absolutely stand the test of time.

2 Likes

Yes. massive prodigy fan here… had their Experience Album when i was 11yrs old :slight_smile:

1 Like