Money aside, are motorized decks worth it if you're not a scratching DJ?

I was currently trying to figure out if I should be getting a SC6000 or a SC6000M (for the same price) given I’m not an open format nor a scratching DJ. Is it more fun as a whole or it would be a hassle to use like a standard CDJ? Have people who were on the fence ever regretted going motorized? I’m also scared of the additional moving part in the long run (probably less reliable than the standard SC), but that might be a non-issue. Cheers!

Not a scratch DJ, and coming from Vinyl, the motorized platters on the SC6000Ms were a pretty big “quality of life” upgrade from the SC5000’s i owned. I find them incredibly fun, though the “fun” factor really depends on you, your style and your preferences. Regrets? Certainly no “ragerts”, given that I prefer the vinyl feel. And for reliability, I’ve owned my decks since 2020 and use them for 6+ hrs every week with no concerns for the moving platter either. Reliable spinning platters aren’t exactly new technology these days. The encoder would be the only thing that I would have any concerns about.

For nudging (pitch bending), i rarely touch the platters and opt to use the trim buttons instead. The downside is that the rubber coating starts to wear off a bit. These are normal wear given how much I use my decks and definitely not a concern if you are one to “ride” the platter.

e

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t get one I don’t think… I do however look at the Rev7 with envy, such an amazing bit of kit.

2 Likes

I don’t scratch and I almost exclusively use the Ms at home. The non-Ms are the ones I took out for gigs prior to the pandemic, and left the Ms always at home. I don’t use the pitch bend buttons and instead have them set as pitch range.

2 Likes

I have the SC5000Ms and coming from vinyl they feel great. The preference is subjective so it’s hard to convey.

I like them but I only chose them as they had a great offer on them. If you don’t need the platter then stay with the regular. If you played vinyl and liked that feel then you’d feel at home with the “M” models.

2 Likes

Out of interest, and looking at my own workflow. What’s stopping people setting up DVS on an actual turntable with something like a midi controller?.. it would give you pretty much exactly the same functionality of the SC-6000m, the feel of vinyl/spinning platters with the added flexibility of actually being able to play records. MK7 1210s are much cheaper than the SC’s too.

I love my 6kms and am looking forward to the next iteration, unless its a + model lol.

If you prefer moving platters - get em. If not. Get the static jogs.

1 Like

Have you got a chance to use the rev 7 yet? I love the mixer but the platters are very disappointing- super stiff. My friend is ditching his for a rev 5.

Not to the level of the target audience (turntablists) but i have had a mess around with one in the shop.

Since you’ve tried both, how does the non-M version compares the the M version when the motor is off? Is it as heavy and free spinning, or is it more lightweight like a CDJ? Also, does the capacitive jog wheel of the non-M translates well to mechanical jog wheels such as the one found on a CDJ, or it’s a completely different feeling (for nudging specifically, not scratching)?

The non-M has a heavier jog than the old Pioneer CDJs, but is more intuitive to use and doesn’t require you to be as deliberate. Overall, though, the extensive processing and probably just Engine OS right now generally is a little more laggy and sluggish compared to the old Pioneer CDJs that feel faster to respond, like having a lower latency setting on DVS or a MIDI/HID controller when switching between ultra fast firewire vs just meh USB 2.0.

There does seem to be greater manufacturing variance in the Prime jogs’ feel compared to the old Pioneers, as well. Pioneer DJ even had very extensive calibration and adjustment procedures for their jogs in the service manuals. Denon DJ’s are basically just schematics, parts lists, and instructions how to take apart & put back together. Whether you get jogs that feel identical seems related to lot number. Old Pioneer jogs were relatively fragile but easy to repair & adjust, while the Prime jogs seem more durable but are harder to repair.

The fully metal M platter is higher mass than the non-M platter for obvious reasons, and when motor is off still has no jog bend adjustment and is extremely overly-sensitive. On the plus side, though, the only time the M forces the motor off is at 100% range (usually the only time I bother with motor-off jog on it), you never have to worry about whether your AC has proper grounding, and there’s no tension mechanism to gunk up the spindle’s electrical contacts with plastic dust. All those last issues with the non-M are usually manageable, though.

The Ms do eventually require warm up to get the grease to fully lube everything so you can get consistent speed past about +20%, but if you open them up you can apparently clean and replace the lube so that’s not an issue. I haven’t bothered yet. I just let the Ms either warm up first or don’t push them that fast immediately after start up.

2 Likes

As the original owner of 1200 MKIIs and a now owner of 6000Ms I’d have to say the size and convenience of stand alone players are the biggest factor for me. Personally, I rejected the idea of stand alone players and and controllers for the longest time due to the fact that I grew up on turntables. Only adopting Rane SL3 into my kit around 2009 and solely using that up to the day support was discontinued.

My decision today may be different given the release of some new tech from the one who’s name we shall not speak but I in no way have buyers remorse when it comes to my 6000Ms. It’s the closest thing to vinyl feel wise in a stand alone package and the ability to stream straight to them is a God send.

2 Likes

Just here to put in my two cents. If you are a newer DJ who currently uses controller with little to no experience/attachment to turntables and want to step into modular setup I would recommend the standard 6000. Since you’re even looking at the 6000M I assume you have a decent budget but you could save yourself a fair amount out the gate by opting for a single 6000 paired with an LC and put the difference into a quality mixer.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family. Starting on turntables in 99, I rode the tech wave from simple CD players to even the Numark DMC1 (first production MP3 controller), CDJs, Technics DZ1200, Serato & Traktor via Turntables then controllers. Nothing really felt like “home” to me until the SC6000Ms.

I still play vinyl. :rofl:

This is the Numark DMC-1. This device predates widespread USB usage.

3 Likes

Yeah ive also been through the CDJs etc, i had an original CDJ-800 mk1 and a pair of 1000 mk3’s back in the day. I sold them all in my late 20s and had no DJ setup for a while. I used DVS as a cheap way of getting myself back mixing as i retained my 1210s, now i just see it as the perfect way of playing my digital files at home whilst having the ability to play vinyl too.

I can see what you mean about saving space however, although in my case it would be increasing it as i would never want to lose the ability to play some records.

1 Like

Started with the non motorized 5000, soon as the M version were released traded in the og 5000.

I prefer the Motorized 5000 and 6000.

I use the pitch bend button to nudge though

2 Likes

Hello :purple_heart:

i am a vinyl DJ, i love my Technics 1210 Mk5 decks and my Xone 96 mixer a lot, but i also wanted to explore the possibilities of digital DJ gear. So i went to a local music equipment shop to actually touch a few things with my hands. And they had both the SC6000 and SC6000M players on display. And i noticed that my hands were always on the motorized platter of the SC6000M player while the nice guy from the DJ gear department explained the pros & cons. Of all the players and controllers there i felt most connected to the SC6000M on an intuitive level. Maybe that is just the way i am, always at a moving platter. :slight_smile:

I am not a scratching DJ and i did not buy the SC6000M for turntablism - i would probably use actual turntables for that, a pair of Technics 1210 turntables and a battle mixer, because it is just oldschool-cool. :sunglasses:

So far i don’t regret my decision to buy the SC6000M players. The motorized platters feel a little different in comparison to my turntables, but they are much fun. The unmotorized SC6000 players look a bit more futuristic to me, which is cool too. Both models have awesome build quality, they feel really good. :green_heart:

2 Likes

I own 2 SC5000M’s. Love hate relationship. When the motor is engaged the tracks slow down about 3% but the BPM in the display does not register the slowness and when trying to mix it becomes a serious PAIN. I use only 1 player and utilize the Layer to keep my set up smallish. I use the X1850 mixer as well to take advantage of the Digital I/O’s.When going from Layer to Layer the track that is playing will speed up then slow down when you go back to the track playing. here is an example I shared on YT Denon SC5000M Motor drag - audible - YouTube What is a bit more frustrating is that I reached out to approved repair centers and they didn’t reco i send the unit in and instead shared a website where I can by a replacement motor and said I should try repairing this myself. When using it now, I don’t have the motor running but what really ■■■■■ is that with the motor off you can’t Scratch it turns into a Jog wheel. I am currently looking for a SC6000 not the motor version . What is scary is that It looks like everything is on Back order at every site I have been on.the whole motor thing may be a hit or miss thing I don’t know. I know when they work correctly they are super dope to use. I am also a Vinyl Dj - thats what I am know for here in Chicago and most all my gigs are Vinyl sets so when I go to this unit I feel at home so would say give the 6000M a go you will have a blast using it.

It looks like you have the issue where the motor needs greasing again. This appears as inconsistent speed with the motor on.

There’s some guides on here where some users have done it themselves. It’s not a huge job but can be done.

Here is the solution by @Freddy_Gang

3 Likes

Needs lubing. I did both of mine earlier this year and its perfect.

@Freddy_Gang is the man with the walk through.

Dont send it in. The repair centre is going to swap the motor and the issue will re-occur later down the line.

All you need is 90 minutes, 2 beers, grease of choice and a torx and hex precision set.

You may as well lube both of it, only difference is you will need 2 more beers.

1 beer at the start 1 when you finish.

PS - make sure you get the right tools. There is slight difference in the original walk through, perhaps manufacturing changes, my units were purchased at launch, so one screw was different - the one holding the motor was hex, but mine was a torx.

other than that…easy job.

:point_up_2:t5: :point_up:t5: :point_up_2:t5: :point_up_2:t5: make sure you get the long necked ones. some of the nuts are not at surface level.