Master volume not controlling digital output after firmware update

Since upgrading the X1850 mixer to version 1.5 I have lost control over the master volume on the digital outputs. According to the manual it says

“Digital Settings: o Digital Link: Select On to sum the outgoing signal before the Master knob and Booth knob, which you can use to control their output level. Select Off to sum the outgoing signal after the Master knob and Booth knob, which will have no effect on the output level.”

I used to have this set to ‘on’ and indeed I could control the digital output of the mixer using the master volume control but now since upgrading the firmware whilst I have control over the Booth out (which is actually an analogue out) I have no control over the digital out whether digital link is set to on or off. Anyone else seen this error. Any suggestions beyond reinstalling the firmware updates please?

1 Like

That was the digital input sum always. Digital output was never affected by the Master knob.

The linked input digital signal can be send directly to master or go thru the Master knob.

What You are reading in the manual states for the Digital LINK IN, not output.

On page 10 it clearly states where is the volume for Digital Output:

"Digital Out (digital RCA): Use a digital RCA cable to connect this output to the digital input of another X1850 PRIME unit or an external interface, mixer, or other device. Use the Utility menu to set the level of the outgoing signal (see Operation > Utility Menu > Advanced Audio). "

Thanks @NoiseRiser . Your reply however is incorrect as the above was copied from the manual from the Advanced Audio Section on page 15 of the X1850 manual and it clearly refers to the Digital out. Furthermore, I used to be able to control the digital out volume so I know it was indeed possible. Again posting the full excerpt below for clarification.

• Digital Settings: o Digital Out: This is an offset to the volume level of the audio signal sent from the digital out: -20dB to +20dB. o Digital Link: Select On to sum the outgoing signal before the Master knob and Booth knob, which you can use to control their output level. Select Off to sum the outgoing signal after the Master knob and Booth knob, which will have no effect on the output level. o Link Level: This is an offset to the volume level of the audio signal sent to the Digital Link In: -20dB to +20dB.

True, that is what the manual states on the page 15:

• Digital Settings:

- Digital Out: This is an offset to the volume level of the audio signal sent from the digital out: -20dB to +20dB.

- Digital Link: Select On to sum the outgoing signal before the Master knob and Booth knob, which you can use to control their output level. Select Off to sum the outgoing signal after the Master knob and Booth knob, which will have no effect on the output level.

- Link Level: This is an offset to the volume level of the audio signal sent to the Digital Link In: -20dB to +20dB.

However the Digital Link refers to the input of the digital signal. This is the same as in X1800, and the master knob could only control the master out and digital link input from another mixer. I tested that my self and it works as intended. Digital master out is not affected by the MASTER knob on any digital mixer I ever used, and I used a lot of them. So it is strange that You could Use a master knob to control the level of Your DIGITAL OUT on the same mixer…

1 Like

I believe the SPDIF output is the REC signal currently.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/advanced-audio-digital-settings-digital-out-record-out-master-out/17185

Put the Master and Booth attenuation settings in the utility at -10.

Put your Master knob at max when you’re playing on the mixer. This will give you accurate representation of your SPDIF output levels and reduce likelihood of clipping or limiting on your outputs.

1 Like

I’ll have to test this on mine. I’ve started using an external dac as I’m unhappy with the harsh high end of the x1850. Pretty annoying to go into the utility menu to control the digital level. I’ve liked your feature request Reticuli.