Master Beat Counter Displaying Incorrectly SC5000M

Now that the beat Counter and master work independently of sync mode which is great except it seems to only work half the time.

Normally on the master deck the green and white bars stay paired and the secondary deck will show the bars separated until you’ve matched your beat to the master.

Now what’s happening to me is that the master says that it isn’t matched to itself showing the green and white bars out of alignment.

This makes mixing in a second track less fluid and defeats the purpose of the beat Counter/bars.

If I notice it I can pitch bend +/- the master so it matches itself in the beat counter and then mix in the track. Then it stays that way for a few songs and gets weird again.

If I stop playing the song and then start playing again it also corrects the problem, but that doesn’t work in a live set.

Are other people experiencing this issue?

1 Like

The beat counter blocks depend on the beat grid. If it’s not aligned correctly it will not follow the beat of the track, but only the grid it self. This will definitely throw you off beat when using only this method.

Check your tracks for proper beat grid. Then It should work correctly.

I understand that, but this issue is different- the beatgrids are just fine, the phasing of the beat counter isn’t properly displaying in the way master and slave should display. It happens randomly when mixing even in songs that worked fine 20 minutes before. Here’s what’s going on:

When only one song is playing the white and green boxes should be in perfect alignment. There is only a master. The Master should always display that way.

When adding a second track,before matching beats- the green and white boxes will be out of alignment this is how the slave deck is supposed to work.

Now, my issue is that when hitting play on the second deck the master suddenly goes out of sync with itself in the display as if the master deck became the slave deck except that the master still lists itself as master and not a slave. A song can’t be out of phase with itself even with a horrible grid.

Nothing happens to the audio when this glitch happens just the beat phase display suddenly gets confused and it looks like both decks are now slaves to eachother with no master. From this point on the beat/phase meter no longer functions until the master deck has stopped and started playing again.

If I double tap play on the master deck it corrects the whole issue. But this can’t be done mid mix without messing things up and this makes the feature far less useful if it doesn’t reliably work. This happens every other time I mix.

Just to clarify, this is without sync on.

1 Like

This issue had gotten better during one of the updates, but the most recent update is causing this error to happen again with a new issue added on.

When one deck is playing the master box (white) and the slave box (green) should be moving in sync.

When you play a second track it is supposed to be the slave and the green and white boxes will be moving out of sync. As you match the beat the boxes should now be moving in sync.

What now is happening is that when I drop a second track the media players are switching the master to the player with the new song instead of it staying on the first song, making the original now the slave. This is the opposite of how it has always worked on this and other devices.

Also, the master should always switch to the one that isn’t being modified, but when trying to nudge the new song into place it is holding onto being the master instead of auto switching.

If I manually switch the original playing deck to master using the button it switches which is lit up, but keeps the beat matching blocks moving as if the master was still the new song.

If the new song is turned off the original still shows itself as off beat with itself. This can be fixed by pitch bending until the bars match or by hitting pause then play again, but only until the error happens again.

It only happens sometimes and not on the same songs, also when this error is happening quantize doesn’t work either. But, when it starts I have to power cycle the device for it to stop or it will persist.

It’s quite annoying as I using the beat meters to do my mixing with fine tuning by ear. It’s really throwing off my method of approach that ived developed using these devices for years…

(I tried uploading videos, but they’re too big. I’ll put links up soon to display what’s up)

1 Like

Investigating further I found that only 1 of the decks has this issue and when i turn the motor off it is resolved.

There is some sort of slight resistance in the motor\platter causing it to switch the master to the other deck. I loosened the Vinyl and hopefully the issue wont show back up.