Lord have mercy - Serato acquired by AlphaTheta Corporation

While that may be the case,

Call me a cynical but If they wanted to fix the supply and give us DJs the equipment we want / need. Then wouldn’t it have made more sense to rebuild production lines and capacity as a priority? Instead they are busy buying up the competition…

Having all new and existing products on back order, is a business choice. They are keeping supply low and demand high to artificially bump prices for good.

The fire was 3 years ago. The height of the pandemic and lockdowns is thankfully well and truly behind us.

Shouldn’t the industry be focusing on rebuilding supply lines? Especially Pioneer the market leaders who’ve dominated the club scene for the past decade or more. I’m not sure how purchasing the competition fixes the issue… Unless of course if your end game is to have a monopoly where you set the price and the rules…

This is called capitalism.

They have. They invested in a different DAC for their products, moved assembly to a different plant, and invested in a different variation of their SOC.

Also, last week, most stores received plenty of XDJ1000 MK2’s, cdj3000’s, and djm a9’s showing that they were waiting until supply started returning to normal before announcing the purchase of Serato.

1 Like

Great so we should see prices come down very soon then…

You won’t see prices go down for new Pioneer Products. They’ve never done it in the past, so you can’t expect them to do it in the future. #Capitalism

You don’t say… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu1COr1M5J4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

1 Like

bruh… If InMusic bought Traktor, they would need to completely overhaul Denon to add in Traktor features. Traktor is so far ahead of the game. Denon looks like it’s 2010 bloatware… I’m a Traktor only boi but use Denon for all my Rekordbox homies. I would love to see them both grow and collab. Best of both worlds!!! Not likely but a boy can dream!! :wink:

My BIGGEST gripe with Denon is still analyzation and wave forms. Traktor has NEVER let me down with a gotdamn beat grid. If Denon can get that and the full color spectrum waveforms (long distance, long waveform) then they COULD be unstoppable. They are killing it in every other dept except basic fundamental analysis. RIP. Traktor is all that and moarrrr.

Hi Everyone,

Just to be sure everyone is aware, here is the official statement regarding our current and continued partnership with Serato.

InMusic and Serato have a long and successful history of collaboration, and our partnership will carry on into the future in service of DJs around the world.

Following the recent news of the sale of Serato to AlphaTheta, we would like all loyal RANE, Denon DJ, and Numark customers to be aware that Serato will continue its status as a standalone brand under AlphaTheta. This means its long-standing partnerships with inMusic’s brands will continue and flourish.

inMusic’s DJ hardware that uses Serato DJ software remains fully supported by both Serato and inMusic. In addition, there will continue to be exciting new product collaborations with RANE, Numark and Denon DJ hardware.

Serato CEO Young Ly says “Our partnership with inMusic; the home of Rane, Numark and Denon DJ is incredibly strong. Since the creation of the SL1 box nearly 20 years ago, RANE and Serato have been at the heart of the DJ community. This powerful partnership is only going to continue, and we’re excited for what’s next.”

inMusic CEO, Jack O’Donnell added “We have some great new products coming that we have been working on with Serato over the last year. These will showcase to all DJs just how integrated our two companies are and will continue to be, long into the future.”

11 Likes

Notice how nothing is basically said how long they can guarantee support for any inMusic Serato controllers?

Sure, now it’s all fine and dandy…but until when? Usually the “standalone brand under XYZ” lasts about 2 years after aquisition until the end of contract obligations. Then the old management cash in and bailout (they sold their company to get money as the primary motive). After that the new brand get integrated into the main brand and you will probably see some new unified software solution - that will, “unfortunately” (/s)… drop support for old products. We’ve seen this a many times with tech companies.

Who ever buys the current inMusic Serato controller, or those new ones announced here, should not count on having Serato-based software support until his controller lasts. Price should also be calculated aroud that fact.

I think the key for us all now is buying class compliant devices so we are no longer beholden to specific software. Obviously Prime and Rekordbox based standalone devices are different but any kind of controller for laptop software should be carefully chosen now, with an eye on future proofing.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any hidden agenda in that statement. You could hyper-analyze every single word but the reality is that if you truly had no plans of retiring, you wouldn’t arbitrarily put a date on it.

Does it make sense at one point they would end official support? Sure, but that doesn’t mean you should expect it in any reasonable time period and it doesn’t mean that will not be an acceptable alternative given when it does happen.

1 Like

That is a VERY optimistic angle to look at a lack of official guaranteed Serato suport date.

No an angle anybody that plans to spend serious money should look at - if they are a user that relies on Serato.

1 Like

Traktor till today doesn’t even have flexible beatgrids, heck, not even HiDPI/Retina support. Plus, their walled garden policy is bad. Also ‘2010 bloatware’ what are you even talking about? Yeah, Engine still needs some work, but it looks sleek, it is very fast and they improved quite a lot over the last 2-3 years. What did Traktor archieve during that time? Subscription and pattern players, wohoo.

Anyway…

Just to be sure everyone is aware, here is the official statement regarding our current and continued partnership with Serato.

Thank you. Fingers crossed our hardware won’t get locked out too soon. I guess we’ll be safe for the next 3-4 years, and afterwards we can still keep the last supported software version installed for some additional years, at least in theory.

Yeah im not sure singing the praises of static software that’s at least 10 years behind display resolution tech and hasn’t had a valid hardware release for years is the best move, fully agree with you here.

1 Like

Oh yeah absolutely. I’ve got no dog in this race as i’ve always hated Serato. I just see no reason to think there will not be acceptable alternatives ready and willing to capitalize on Serato dropping the ball.

Good luck though!

1 Like

I know one thing is certain, the Serato forum has become insufferable since this announcement :see_no_evil:

1 Like

DDJ-SP1, one of the best pieces of DJ gear ever released.

2 Likes

Still take mine out to those CDJ venues.

I believe it works even in standalone mode with 2000NXS

Allows one to control 8 hot cues , roll and beatjump of both decks if networked.

1 Like