Looking for some alpha testers for the beginnings of an app that helps resolve missing files

Warning, the code is very alpha at this stage. It is command line driven (no gui as yet). It will probably be ready in about one or two weeks. It’s written in java so should be cross platform although I primarily use a Mac but have access to windows for superficial testing. The code will be open source at one stage once it’s matured to be a reasonable beta.

The current goals are pretty simple: 0) Not corrupt any data / take backups (automated) etc

1. Be able to suggest a new path of missing files
  2. Confirm changes with user
  3. Perform the above changes

Some stretch goals (later on) include (in no particular order)

• A GUI
  • Make playlists exportable / publishable
  • Capability to examine several databases at once (i.e. from non primary volumes) and “move” music while keeping cue / loop info etc
  • Potentially even publish cue and loop Info to a central repository (and then grant the ability for others to download).
  • Do the above but with sound switch data in some form or another

If you are interested in helping with the above journey, let me know - richardagreen@gmail.com

5 Likes

Ok - I now have a version that works. I’ve only written the library that interfaces with the database for now, so I’ve just put a very simple command thing in front of it. You’ll need to install java (15 or above). Then let me know if you can help test it ! Functionally is VERY basic right now (literally just updates the path in the database to relocate missing files), but if popular I will improve over time. I’ll open source it at some stage as well, once I’ve removed all of the ugly bits !

This is how you configure it. You put the location of the main database in the 2nd row and then a list of folders that you’ve moved the music to on lines with the SEARCH field. These can be “top level” folders (as most people put folders into folders right ?). However, don’t just put "c:" as a folder or the thing will probably blow up.

Also, It’s important to use that form of forward-slash (for now) or java gets very very confused.

Hi, is your app still available?