Library transfer

Hello, I searched for this topic but all I’ve found are old one so I try to ask again.

Situation: old laptop with my music on, engine dj installed (just updated to 4.0), all music analyzed with cue points etc etc. My laptop space is running out and I want to transfer all my library on a brand new SSD (sandisk extreme pro 2TB) where I will add more music. I’ll use engine dj desktop app on a brand new laptop (it’s the laptop where I also produce so i don’t want music files there).

Is there a way to do a clean transfer of my library on the new ssd? thank you

Hi Giamma,

while I do not have a good workflow to offer for this situation, I suggest that you backup your files first, whatever you do … the SanDisk extreme pro have a bad reputation of sudden failures due to a manufacturing or design flaw, at least some models. I have switched to using two SSD drives from Samsung, one as a primary drive for music, the other as a mirror … plus I was bored of the SanDisk drives constantly auto-unmounting in weird ways. :roll_eyes:

On a knowledge base page Denon DJ describe how to move the library to another computer:

And here is a forum post about how to move the Engine library to a bigger / different drive:

Maybe you can first move your music collection to the external drive on your old system and then migrate the library to the new system. Please, make a backup before any of this. As DjAj writes:

Moving music with EDJ is always a risk.

If this works for you (or if it does not) or if you find another, better solution, please leave a note on the forum, so that other people may find it later. I hope that this helps you!

1 Like

Thank you for your info!

About the SSD I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the Sandisk, I use it as my Native instruments library since years and it’s perfect.

I already have all my music on a NAS for the backup and my “main” folders in the old laptop, following your advice I’ve bought a T7 shield to move all my music (and engine dj folder" to the new laptop… Let’s see how it goes. The first thing now is move the whole library on the ssd on the old laptop to see if the library remains intact…

1 Like

Samsung all the way, to this date I’ve never had a problem.

1 Like