Largest SSHD that can be used with the Prime 4

Is the Prime 4 limited to just using a 1tb SSHD or will it support larger drives?

Thank you for your question Darren. We’ve stress tested a 1TB SSD drive and that is what we are recommending people use. It can take a larger drive but we’ve not yet tested to the full capacity.

3 Likes

Thanks, because I’ve already reserved a 2TB SSHD in anticipation for this unit. I already have an 8000 and 6000MKII so I can just imagine what this baby will do. Congrats on this unit

Darren

I’m using a 1tb SSD disk of a good quality brand of my SC5000s. My track collection is about 3k tracks. While it works (all the tracks are available on a search), searching, filtering or reordering takes about 10 seconds.

Are the library searching algorithms optimised in the prime 4?

We hooked up a 3TB HD to the SC5000’s. There was a slight lag via network load, but it was still faster than using Pioneer C/XDJ’s.

Currently I use a 1TB HD and a 500GB SSD. No lag on either both direct connect at player and via lan.

I do get lag with SD Cards larger than 16GB, however. Of course this could just be due to the SD card adapters I am using or something similar.

Are you sure that you’re using a good quality drive? I’m using a couple of 128GB USB 3 pen drives with a 7.5k collection size and don’t have more than a couple of seconds delay when searching/filtering/sorting.

Which brandsare you using? Is that 3TB HD a SSD one, hellnegative?

I’ll try with a different one, or even with a newly exported collection to see if that helps.

There’s a nice easy solution on this.

The Prime 4 works well with a 1TB drive.

When the Prime 4 system gets out to the rest of us, then WE can report back on how a 2TB or 4TB or 8TB drives works with Prime 4

1 Like

I think this type of testing should have be done by Denon. How can they call using a 1TB ssd a “stresstest”? A stresstest is supposed to push the device to it’s limits. After the company has found out what the real limit of the device is, they can set a “maximum supported capacity” well below that point to guaranty problem-free operation. The “recommended capacity” should be the ssd-size at which the device performs optimal.

1 Like

As stated, the 3TB was a HD. It was a WD Caviar Green.

The 1TB is a HD. WD Blue

The 512GB is a SSD. Intel 545S

SSD is using the below USB 3.0 to SATA adapter.

The two hard drives were using a USB 3.0 powered enclosure of the same brand.

The Q&A video explains this in exhaustive detail.

Denon said then that they put a 1TB drive in and it worked great. They then said that it takes larger drives too but they said , about 3 times, that they’re saying 1TB drives is what they’re quoting on.

The prime 4 will probably be selling for the next 5 years or more. What size of drives will be around in 1 year, 3 years, 5 years ? Samsung have already got their 16TB ssd available to buy right now, with a 36TB drive promised in under 2 years. The 16TB costs more than 3 x Prime 4 systems, but give it a year and those prices will have dropped, knocking smaller drives down in price too. No point in Denon DJ putting “works with 2TB drives” on the box for the next 5 years if 2TBs are considered “tiny” in 2 years. 1TB will cater for many jocks easily.

1 Like

Since they’ve apparently taken NTFS read-only support out of the specs now, I presume the limit is 2TB properly formatted in the remaining supported FAT formats that have that limit, though hypothetically exFat allows you to go beyond that. I just make most of my big ones 2TB Fat32 since that’s what Pioneer, old Denon, and Gemini also read. I have three NTFS copies that I use exclusively with the Geminis to force them into slightly-less-paranoia-inducing read-only mode. I was hoping I’d get to use them on the SC Primes, but that now looks like it will not happen.

There is software out there for formatting drives as FAT32 in larger formats. The allocation tables can get a bit messy, but they will still read. You can also manually format drives up to 16TB as FAT32 in Linux.

I’ll try to get a different SSD drive, because that’s all I can do. However the medium is the least important factor in this and search performance as library size increases greatly depends on how they index and search the library. The hd quality would be very important if they were accessing the physical files and reading the tags when searching. They are obviously not doing so, but creating some kind of database with Engine. How they do that, which fields they index and whether or not they use text search technologies such as FTS3 is the key factor for things like searching tracks or searching by comment. And I would be interested to know if Denon has enhanced this when working on the Prime 4.

Anyway it seems it’s just me the one with issues and everyone else is happy, so it may be my library or my drive in this case…

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.