Knob Rotation Accuracy on Numark Mixstream Pro

Is there a way I could confirm that the channel level knobs are perfectly aligned at the 12 o’clock position besides looking at them visually? For the EQ knobs it is easier to know since they have a subtle lock/click you can sense when it’s at the center but the channel levels don’t. The visual indication has an extra margin of error for me since the controller is flat on the surface and I don’t always get a bird’s eye-view of the knob.
On that note, would also like to see if anyone has a suggestion for making the controller slanted? I’ve tried laptop stands but they tend to be too small and makes the controller wobbling when either side of the deck is touched. The table height is either too low for me to have my neck strained or too high to have a complete overview of the controller (like mentioned above).

On the stand, make one out of wood at the desired angle.

For the level knob, they aren’t meant to be at 12 o’clock they are meant to be set at a level that gives you consistent sound to the other channel, this will likely be completely different for every track you own, channel level meters and your ears are the best tools to achieve this.

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense. I am struggling with consistency in volume across the mix. Particularly I’ve noticed some of the older tracks (early 2000s or 90s) are either quieter than others or occasionally way louder. Do you have any advice on how to best use the volume meter on the controller? I try to keep them to a level that doesn’t trigger the white flash (when it’s too loud) but they still often contrast in loudness. Should I also consider editing the loudness of individual tracks?

The channel level knobs (Gain knobs) aren’t supposed to stay at a particular angle or rotation.

They’re supposed to be turned clockwise more for tracks which are recorded quieter, and anti-clockwise more for tracks which are recorded louder.

1 Like

What I do, and always have done is tinker with the trim mid mix if I think its too hot or cold coming in, it’s all just practise but you’ll do it with ease over time. You can normally tell either by cueing both channels in the headphones and hearing them together, simply using the overview waveform on screen to get an idea of the difference in levels between the two, or by hearing it as you bring the fader up, you can usually tell half way up the fader curve if its too quiet or loud. It’s hard to describe but you’ll get used to it.

For the level meters id say have them trying to look consistent on the downbeat, it’s not just how high they flash but the manner in which they flash too… but the absolute best way is to just do it by ear.

1 Like

I remember this guys post from back when I had a Mixstream, while I think the general consensus to him adding a battery was mixed due to safety concerns, his implementation of a stand/carry handle was pretty nifty in my opinion.