Is the digital link out of an X1850 a SPDIF output?

Are the digital link I/O jacks on the X1850 standard SPDIF format signals, or are they proprietary signals that only work with Denon gear? I have a SPDIF input available into my interface, and I might as well keep thee signal digital all the way until it goes out to the speakers.

yes, it is a standard digital input and output. I use these ports to connect to PC audio card and digital recorder

Gotcha, thanks! I will have to try it again, as it wasn’t working correctly when I tried it. Might have had a bad setting or broken cable.

Make sure the digital out is the same sample rate as whatever you’re connecting it to.

Connecting directly to an ADAT input works fine, but that might be a waste of 8 inputs of my interface.

I had a device that had 4x SPDIF inputs that would merge them all down to an ADAT output, but thee device (Z-Systems Z8.8a) didn’t seem to like to get the word clock synced up. I could get audio, but it was VERY jittery sounding, no matter what the sample rate was set to.

check if there are the same sound distortions on the x1850 analog master output, if there is, try another cable. the x1850 has a problem with the fact that if a bad cable is connected to the digital output, then the mixer itself stops working properly. and you need to switch input to spdif mode if possible

It’s definitely the Z-Systems device in between the mixer and my audio interface on other computer in my studio room. I was trying to avoid using one analog pair for the monitors and another analog pair for the master output (for recording).