Is Denon Losing The Game?

I think they are getting too complex now. If you compare one of the first standalone units (XDJ-R1) to the RX3 and Prime 2, the featureset is vastly superior but with that comes complexity in firmware/OS.

I love the bells and whistles of modern gear as much as the next person but if we are honest it drastically increases the risk of failure in the units, which for an all in one can prove embarrassing at a gig.

2 Likes

Just fix the damn basics of the software on the players and on the laptop. preferably before you improve are add features like the lighting control that I have to spend another thousand dollars to even implement.

I jumped in big time. I own three SC6000s.

Like everybody else, I actually love these players. They are very good. I just want them to be great!

FIX THE BASICS!!! I don’t know how many times it has to be stated. I understand there are Denon-fan boys out there that seem to like to jump on everybody and call them complainers. STOP. I spent a lot of money to become Denon user.

Again fix the BASICS. Finding lost files, smart playlist, my tags would be nice. BETTER Analyzation! ( as an experiment, I recently analyzed all my tracks with record box again. Threw them in the denon players. Everything was locking beautifully. MUCH less files with poor analyzation. Almost none. All my little thing was tight. Of course I have to wait a little too long for the tracks to load. But it was almost worth it to have no issues. This is very sad.)

Get this right and then move on to the fun ■■■■.

3 Likes

The SC6000 dropped right before the pandemic. So the ability to have really market penetration for the professional environment (venues, not DJ’s), never had a chance to be fully realized.

The X1850 is still the weakest point of the lineup. I’ve talked with a few rental companies and venue owners who stated it’s the lack of repair ability that keeps them from ever buying one. If they are going to have to buy two mixers to have one as backup, they’re just gonna keep the nxs2 they’ve already had for years and zero DJ’s complain about playing on em unless they request a 92/96.

Hopefully we see a few small changes in the next lineup of equipment to drop, that will easy some of the woes.

Prices have already come down for denon products from distro I use (prices dropped on the 7th). Not sure if that is a hint that something new is coming, or if prices are just being lowered to move product.

but why do you say that enlightenment is of no interest to anyone? I like many others use it! instead I don’t give a damn about karaoke and the hdmi output! so your comment is only for you !!

My SC6000s have been reliable, but again. Not using them for 4 hour sets at my residency. Two-hour sets at the most. Not one crash yet - at the house lol.

1 Like

I agree with both of you. Lighting is a great feature, but implementing consumer lighting products over the ability to search within a folder (or the other basics) is a joke.

There still is a Video DJ market. I don’t play in it though. Implementation of video would require new hardware or adapters.

1 Like

THIS!!!

Back to the basics and hopefully, I can make the full switch from Serato to Denon. I really enjoy using them, but can’t fully use them without some of these basic features.

All they need are some solid developers, DJs who work open-format, and a few solid UX/UI designers. I bet, like most small companies - they break the golden rule of merging developers and designers. We keep them separate for checks and balances.

1 Like

Do you have issues with stability too or just the hardware quality?

The player’s OS is also software. Also, you are not a slave when the software assists you through more features and functions. I actually feel that Engine makes you a slave to their lackluster feature-set.

I agree with you that getting music from Engine Desktop to the media (player, SD, Thumb Drive) is easy, but that is not what we are discussing. Instead, we are discussing the Engine OS and Engine Desktop’s lack of basic computing features.

I agree, but I think that PIO also takes advantage of that market. Too many bedroom DJs think they will jump right into festivals, and need their equipment to play with the big dogs.

Yeah, I lurk on their forum and see they have tons of issues. But they have at least tackled the UX/UI basics. Minus searching within a folder. That greatly helps narrow down searches.

Stems don’t change with different hardware. I used a PIO SZ1 controller for nearly a decade. Finally switched to the Rane One when it dropped. I didn’t gain any new software features when doing so either. New gear is nice but having a basic UX/UI feature set is nicer.

Still love my SC6000m’s but these functions we are discussing apply to all of Denon’s lineup.

Using Rekordbox instead of engine has fixed red track issues for me. I am with you and I can’t believe that making the native software work at least as well as rekordbox isn’t a higher priority

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.