iPad sound output to X1850

Hi all - i’m hoping someone can help me.

I want to get audio out from my iPad Pro (USB-C Connection) to my X1850 mixer. I have purchased a USB-C to USB-B cable and have plugged in my iPad to my mixer into USB1 port but no matter what settings I use on the mixer, sound won’t come through. I’ve tried adjusting the inputs to USB1 and then USB but music doesn’t show as playing when using either Apple Music or Djay software.

Any ideas / help would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

James

Why not use the headphone out to the analog input go the mixer?

Yeah you can get USB to RCA cables that will give you sound.

I don’t have an iPad Pro but I’m guessing it has no headphone out and therefore you’ve fallen prey to one the of classic Apple Blunders. They always make you buy a proprietary cable, even if there’s an easier way to do it. :wink:

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

1 Like

I got a lightning to RCA cable from Amazon for about 8 quid to be fair

Not sure it’s fair, as I’m guessing any DJ worth their salt has a mini stereo to rca cable. Remember firewire?

Thanks all :smile: yes I don’t have the converter cable to turn it into 3.5mm but I do have the USB-C to USB-B cable which I thought would work ok if I plug it into one of the USB inputs into the mixer. It works when i do that from my laptop so was just hoping it would do the same with the iPad as have been playing around with Djay app and just nice to be able to put that through the mixer :slight_smile:

Sorry should add that’s it’s one of the iPads with USB-C out

Not sure where the midi/audio is on an iPad but is there possibly something in setting that you’re missing?

Got it working thanks!! :slight_smile: not sure what I did differently as I thought I would give it another go and this time it just kicked in to channel 1 on the USB setting. Maybe helped turning it off and on again :joy:

Thank you as it’s nice when it ends up working and gives me confidence having a mixer of that quality which can take input from an iPad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“To be fair” is a figure of speech in English… as in I managed to pick a cable up for £8 that allows me to connect a phone with no headphone port to equipment with an RCA cable. It was a counter point to your comment about having to buy a proprietary cable from Apple.

If you sign up to Djay Pro you can even DJ with it :wink:

1 Like

It’s still 8 pounds that you wouldn’t have to spend if apple didn’t get rid of the headphone out that’s been “standard” for decades. I kinda understand it with an iPhone but not really with an iPad. I’m a total Apple household BUT, I can’t tell you how many different proprietary cables I’ve had to buy over the years because for them it’s a revenue stream.

Have just paid for the year’s subscription! Worth a go for the price and great to just pick up and play on the ipad and plug into the mixer for some good sound!

Are headphone ports standard these days though? Everyone uses wireless now don’t they? We DJs being an exception and maybe some Audiophiles.

Apple don’t do anything without research of the market

The DVS is pretty cool too, and you can use LC-6000s as a midi controller

Apple used to do that. Now they do whatever they want and everyone else “be damned and get in line” with whatever weird thing they decide to change/break.

Apple will need to follow this ruling: “New EU rules require all phones sold after autumn 2024 to use the USB-C connector for their charging ports”

Charging is one thing, audio I/o can be another. I’ve never charged my phone or iPad from the headphone jack, have you?

I’m all for using usb-c but APPLE needs to consider all the options of it, ie, audio routing/channel assignment via usb-c.