InMusic skipping NAMM?

Anyone else surprised that there are zero InMusic brands at NAMM this year?

No they’re not.

I think if Denon is going to Release smth new they will do it in a seperate Event, as they have in the past. All the Youtubers(DigitalDJTips,Crossfader,Mojaxx and so on) will get invited to see the new Gear. The Public however might not be allowed.

1 Like

I think its a trend we will see being rolled out further across the board tbh. There is another thread about it where people have put cases forward surrounding costs and hassle to set up trade stands, when its easier to just ship some units to Youtubers for review.

4 Likes

I’m not surprised in the least.

It’s so costly for companies to attend such events and stock “lost” to post exhibition B grade levels, accommodation for staff, the crazy costs of renting floor space and stand design/build just don’t make such events viable.

Vloggers also ruin thru-the-door attendance figures as would-be attendees can sit at home or at a gig and see the shaky camera work and appalling mic work as different vloggers try and run around the whole exhibition at rope drop

It’s so much easier and cheaper to release a few good studio quality videos of any new hardware/firmware releases to whet people’s appetite enough for them to support their local dealer once stock arrives

5 Likes

Agreed.

If anyone saw MoJaxx on Twitch yesterday setting up at Beatsource Tech’s 12hr Twitch stream, you can quickly see the potential power and merit of using YT/Streaming reviewers (not influencers) to do a product launch at their offices instead of a trade show (I’m looking at you Denon DJ). In fact when MoJaxx releases a YT review he usually goes live with the said product and does a DJ set with Q/A, super smart IMHO.

Like I said before trade shows are dead, end users consume media differently and have different buying power. Rep firms and store buyers are dinosaurs and are waste of marketing resources that can be put back into R&D.

1 Like

Seems like not a lot was announced DJ-wise at NAMM. It seem more like a “get-together” event for industry people. Definitely could use some sort of refresh on the format if they want to stay relevant in the future.

Get togethers are part of what djing is about no?

Trade shows can be a place to get together but that shouldn’t be the MAIN point of them. It should be the nice perk of it. There are DJ Conferences and Retreats for get togethers.