importing and managing multiple libraries to internal hard drive

hi all,

New Denon user here. please forgive me if this is too mundane a question.

i’ve just bought a couple of Denon SC6000m’s and have installed a SSD internally into one of them. I’m trying to understand the most elegant way to load up my various libraries into the SSD and keep them updated, as well as to keep it all neat and tidy.

I have:

• 500gigs or so of music on my macbook pro. i load it into apple music first, then analyse in mixed in key, and then load into Traktor. Traktor has all my cuepoints and grid corrections etc. 1TB of songs on an external synology NAS drive, which is pretty slow and creaky, and won’t load fast enough across my wifi (which is why i’m wanting to move it to the internal SSD. This drive is my total music backup and so also has the 500gigs of songs on my laptop.

Question:

1. what’s the best way to get all the tunes over to the SSD, and then keep the SSD up to date periodically when i have a decent bunch of new music to add? Should i just drag and drop to the internal drive while in computer mode, or should i import into engine first?

2. What happens if i end up with duplicates on the internal drive? does the software order it all like apple music, or do i have to do it myself?

3. if i import to engine, does it automatically understand what’s changed when i do a new export from either traktor or my NAS drive and only copy what’s new? with such a large library, i fear i’m going to spend days watching it all copy over.

thanks - any thoughts on best practice or things to avoid most welcome.

cheers mxm

Hi Max,

can only speak from my own experience. Considering making the EngineDJ software your primary interface for managing your music collection.

Everything flows into EDJ, then use the EDJ sync manager for transferring the EDJ library onto your player’s SSD.

I really like EDJ as a music organizer. itunes never made sense to me, with the whole transferring of media into its own “itunes media” folder etc. Plus I’ve always bounced between windows/mac setups. So traktor2/rekordbox were my go-to for a long, long time.

When I got a pair of SC6K I made the switch to EDJ and it’s worked great not only for the SC6K but also as a general music sorting+ software.

Seeing as you’ve got the Denon kit now, it is worth the time to watch some of the Denon EDJ library management tutorial videos and give it a go using the software as your central library. And then using sync manager to load that library onto your players.

Regarding duplicates, there is no “show duplicates” in EDJ (that i know of!!). Typically I just sort by “name” and duplicates will appear near one another. Then its a bit time consuming to comb through and remove.

Using the sync tool, it will recognize what is already loaded on the SC SSD and not constantly rewrite your entire library content to the SSD each time.

This is all to the best of my knowledge as well and your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Thanks Cloudburst.

really appreciate the thoughtful response.

i’ll get stuck into the library management tutes - if the worst comes to the worst i can always wipe the internal drive and start again, since i’ll still have the backup on the NAS.

cheers mxm

1 Like

one thing i will emphasize is use engine dj desktop to transfer music to the players drive.

if you decide to bypass engine dj, you need to know what you are doing.

How you get music into Engine DJ desktop is up to you…either

a. you can continue using Traktor to manage your library and use the traktor library import feature in engine dj desktop to add your traktor library to engine dj desktop library.

or

b. you can retire traktor altogether and add music files directly to engine dj desktop from your computers folders.

option A has a limitation…which has a feature request

thanks Mufasa,

definitely food for thought there. will have a ponder, and hope dendon get on and add the feature you mentioned mxm