How Tone Play could work

@denon

This is just my way of thinking, but here goes:

When you press the Key icon on-screen, you get the +/- Key as it is today.

But below that you get 3 rows/ lines of “on-screen pads”. Say 1 in the middel and 6 or 8 above and below. Those pads are corresponding to the selected hotcue and triggers the selected Key from the screen.

The 1 in the middle = normal key The ones above is minus Key, and the ones below are plus Key.

This way, you could switch hotcue when ever and still perform Tone Play, playing on screen.

Or something like this… :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit:

Explained in steps:

1. Select wanted Hotcue on pads.
  2. Press the Key icon on-screen.
  3. You get the same screen as now (after the update) but further more there will be 3 lines of on-screen pads. 6 pads in first line, 1 pad in the second and 6 pads in the 3rd)
  4. If you press the single 1 in the middle, it will trigger (play) the Hotcue point in normal Key. But if you press the ones above, it trigger (play) the selected Hotcue in x amount -key, depending on which ‘pad’ you choose. And the ones below, trigger the Cue in +Key.

Just to clarify, are you basically suggesting to be able to save a hot cue with a particular pitch?

It’s a neat idea but just confused about the above.

It would also be awesome if we could just choose to swap it with one of the goofy slicer modes :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes. I’ll take pitch/tone play any way I can get it. Been on my request list here since I first started posting.

Sorry, as you probably can tell, english is not my native language.

But No, not saving a Hotcue with a particular pitch. It just alters the Key in that instance you press the selected pad.

Explained in steps:

1. Select wanted Hotcue on pads.
  2. Press the Key icon on-screen.
  3. You get the same screen as now (after the update) but further more there will be 3 lines of on-screen pads.
  4. If you press the single 1 in the middle, it will trigger (play) the Hotcue point in normal Key. But if you press the ones above, it trigger (play) the selected Hotcue in x amount -key, depending on which ‘pad’ you choose. And the ones below, trigger the Cue in +Key.

Better now? :slightly_smiling_face:

@Djscottyb

Made the feature request for more than a year ago, with the normal pads, but it can be confusing because of the text above the pads.

So when they launched the latest update, I just saw a possibility in doing it on screen instead.

Hi @Engell

Your English is perfect, I just had a hard time following the steps but I think I get it now. I like the idea but I would say another on screen button to activate this feature over on the pads so that if the user chooses to, they don’t have to sacrifice the cue points on the pads and can use the feature from the screen while triggering multiple cues on the pads. I hope that makes sense.

Djscottyb,

I am with you, it would be nice if something like this could go behind the slicer even if it meant now you would need to hit the slicer 3 times to get to it. A selectable menu could give the user a choice as to what to load first when “slicer” is pressed > Pitch play > Slicer or Slicer > Pitch play. This way if you use the pitch play more ofter, you only press the button once to trigger it faster.

You dont need a extra on-screen button for this…

Press the Key button on pictures 1.

And the pads show up (like on pictures 2) This way, you could at anytime switch hotcue using the normal pads and still perform Tone Play. Needing to hit for example Slicer 3 times to get this feature will just make it Haarder to switch hotcues during Tone play

1 Like

Duh! LOL I see what you mean; I stand corrected. :blush:

Hope it makes sense now - I edited the original post once again :joy:

I think it’d be alright to use the touch screen for setting up the feature but I wouldn’t use the feature if it invited me or any of my mates to start bashing the ■■■■ out of my screen.

So, setting up the octave/semi tones of the key differences on the touch screen would be cool, but leave the hammering and smashing to the hot cue pads rather than the touchscreen.

Tone play can, and would work like it does on Serato. An option to turn it on… (using a shift+modifier - slicer?) and the pads become your cue point tone play.

Denon DJ launched tone play on the MCX8000 and it works amazingly well so just need to lift it directly from that. They know exactly how it will be done as they have done it before in Serato DJ. There isn’t a need to rewrite its functionality, only add a little visual feedback on the screen if needed.

+1 to add it to Engine.

Yep, we co-developed the pitch/tone play pad mode with Serato. It’s def something we want to bring to our Prime Series product line in the future.

5 Likes

Only having tone play entirely on screen doesn’t seem ideal, but there is a lot of waste in the current key mode’s on screen real estate usage. Perhaps the “- key +” should just be replaced with a line of 9 keys, the current plus four on either side. Dim the hot cue, loop, roll, and slicer buttons and the pads become the four on either side of the current key. When you first tap the key on screen to go into this mode, all the pads could blink. You hit shift while holding a pad to make it stay on that key and the row on the top of the screen shifts. Obviously if you want to just tap one of those on screen keys, it will shift the line of keys to that, too. Instead of a big Done would be a smaller X to the upper right. You could also just hit hot cue, loop, roll, and slicer to set it back in one of those modes.

Yes please. I would love this feature.

Yup! Other than BPM stuff with EP this is at the top of my want list for our Prime players!

Brining this topic back to life!

How about @Denon just license or buy DJ Pro Pitch Cue feature and put that as “Tone Play” behind the Hot Cue pads after you click Shift. Done!! :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

See vid here, start at 4:53…for Pitch Cue topic.

Can you image what you can do with this feature combined with acapella stems?? :crazy_face: :star_struck:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/extended-key-shifting/38224/53?u=reticuli