How to remove duplicates from prime 4 without losing the entire library

Major issue I use iTunes I’m engine DJ no duplicates in iTunes or engine DJ, however when I last used sync manager when connected to my prime 4 almost every song duplicated in the prime 4 only. (Engine DJ is not supposed to let duplicates happen) what is the quickest and easiest way to fix this and how please help thanks. With everything duplicated it takes forever to find a single song need help fast thanks in advance.

Wipe the prime4 drive

I know there has got to be a better way then to totally wipe the drive on the P4. Plus I have no time for that. It’s a Memorial Day weekend and I have a 3 day gig 2 hours away 1 way. We all know syncing takes a long time there is no way I’m going to risk it in the middle of a 3 day gig and it not being done before I need to leave to get to the gig on time. It literally takes 3 minutes plus to find 1 track with all the duplicates it has created but the duplicates are only in the P4. No where else. Nothing is red in P4 it’s just every song in duplicated. I thought about removing the database2 file in the P4 drive and trying to resync it using sync manager. just not sure it would be done and fixed before I need to leave for this big weekend gig.

if the source collection is fine (laptop)

perhaps you could export to a spare external ssd if you have one.

how big is your collection?

The entire collection is roughly 84,000 songs. I am an open format DJ. I do have it backed up on an 2 external flash drives for the most part just don’t have some of the most current stuff on them. I can always get that stuff from tidal or beat source if needed though. This happened after I opened up engine DJ and it said it was corrupt and wouldn’t allow me to do anything at all. But the last time I opened it it was totally fine. No problem I just opened it up and it said corrupt before I had anything connected. This seems to be happening a lot and with 1 other DJ I know too. The software is not supposed to copy duplicates so why it it happening and what is the actual fix? Will removing the database 2 file in the P 4 and resync fix it? And how long will it take I mean the library is already there and is not corrupt it plays in Serato in iTunes and other programs with no issues at all so why does this happen only in engine DJ? No one knows I guess? Let me know your thoughts on this please

No. it will copy all the files again and then you will run out of space.

84k will take close to 2 hours to sync.

you may want to use Serato for this weekend and then sort out your library after.

I think I will use the flash drives and worry about the internal SSD on Monday and wipe it and let I do it’s thing for days until its done at 320kbps and 44.1khz mp3 that will take 24 hours at least. The thing is this should not be happening and the engine DJ software is not supposed to allow duplicates so why are the duplicates happening when the software I have been told countless times y Denon it will not allow duplicates. Obviously I have proof that is not the case. So how do we fix this?

I don’t have duplicates. I use my Serato library with Engine DJ. I don’t use iTunes though.

So when you have some downtime

1. start afresh by deleting any instance of engine library folder on your laptop/computer. its usually in the default Music folder and in the root of any drive that contains your music files.

2. format the prime 4 ssd

3. Start Engine DJ, if you did (1) correctly, you should be met with an empty library.

4. turn off auto analysis in engine dj - this will speed things up and you can go back and enable it if you when you have time for a full analysis of your 84k songs. When ever you enable AutoAnalysis in the future, it will automatically pick up all songs that are not analysed. You may need to restart Engine DJ for this to kick in.

5. BTW I have 77k music files which I store on an external SSD (Samsung t7) and the full analysis takes about 3 hours on an Apple M2 Pro 2023.

6. import your Serato/iTunes to engine desktop. Use only one method i.e. either Serato or iTunes

7. after that is complete, right click on iTunes/Serato and add to collection.

8. Export your library again via sync manager to the prime 4 SSD.

9. If you need to update your library, update via the method you used in (6)

2 Likes

Are you not missing a step here? After I import my iTunes library by clicking the little refresh button, don’t you then need to import all your playlists first one at a time before using sync manager? That is what I was told the normal process is. Or am I missing something here? I will have time to analyze the entire library on Monday since my next 2 gigs are not till the following Saturday. So I’d rather do it all so it’s done and completed before my next gig. Let me know about this so I can do it first thing Monday so it has all week to analyze if it needs that long to do it. It’s always taken a very long time with engine DJ or sync manager more so than any other software I have ever worked with and I pretty much have used them all over the years and it seems Denon, engine DJ software takes forever to do the full analyze resync and way to many corrupt errors popping on the software for no reason at all. They really need to work on putting some type of safe guards on the software or something so this doesn’t happen as frequently as it does. I mean it has never happened to be honest in any other software I have used granted this is different cuz it’s an all in one however when it comes down to it it’s a computer so if the others are able to make it so corruption out of the blue for no reason then Denon should be Able to A’s well right? Anyway let me know about this so I have all I need to once again start from zero to get it working properly again thanks.

Yes. Made an edit.

As development is proceeding at a rapid pace, there is bound to be some niggles unfortunately.

it should work if you follow those steps.

Can you share your computer specs?

Windows/mac?

Where your music is stored?

The duplicates are not in engine DJ they are only in the prime 4. So I would only remove the engine library folder in the prime 4 drive not the laptop correct? Then just resync from sync manager and all should be good am I correct here?

Yeah do a format of the Prime 4 drive then just rebuild the library from scratch id say… ive done it 3 times with mine now, it can never be a bad thing.

So format the drive on tje p4 and then just open engine DJ and use sync manager to sync it all back over right? And I would also guess would need to remove the engine library folder as well or will formatting the P4 drive wipe that out as well? Just wanting to be though and make sure I got it right I have wasted countless weeks on doing this because I think 4 times now it says corrupt database or library after using engine DJ to transfer music with no issues and then a few days later opening it up and bam corrupt database or library pops up and then closes the program with nothing to do anything with to try to fix it. Other than this and it’s painstakingly a very long process that should never be happening this frequently. I will post what happens when I do this to update you thanks for the help.

Formatting the drive will wipe it clean so there will be no data at all, format in ExFat with no partitions then it’ll be ready to roll, then a clean install of your library using sync manager.

Make sure you’re using that USB-B cable that came with the Prime, or at least one of the same format as it speeds up the export by massive amounts over a standard USB cable.

Make sure engine desktop is closed down when you connect it, that way it’s just a drive connected to your PC then and not being used by any other programs.

1 Like

Try a fast export first, ie no autoanalysis.

Check if there are no duplicates in the prime4 ssd.

If that works then no need to rebuild the engine desktop library.

But like @STU-C said, there is no harm in redoing everything. It will help to remove any other gremlins that are yet to cause you issues.

I rebuild my main library quite frequently as I use Serato for my core library management.

2 Likes

bro you should not have 77,000 songs lol

Says who? he might be a wedding/event DJ taking lots of requests across the board.

yeah requests can be used with streaming. You’ve done one wedding you’ve done them all especially here in America

88,000 songs think about how much work that puts on your gear every time you turn it on. It has to load and process all the tracks

Well once you’ve analysed them all in the desktop app and exported properly, and kept them organised in playlists it shouldn’t be putting too much strain at all. That’s also what the internal SATA drive is for, that way your prime player behaves much like a computer (that also wouldn’t struggling with managing that many tracks)