How to prepare and import prerendered Stems

I wanna play may own songs with stem support. I know how to output stems from my DAW. But how can i import them into Engine DJ? If i just drag&drop the stems/tracks it would import them as individual songs. Do i have to prepare them somehow?

You can’t do that. Engine’s stem extraction is designed to separate from full stereo masters (as most DJs would be using) and the extracted stems file is encrypted. We have to pay to decode it. You can’t make your own from the individual DAW tracks.

Welcome to the forums!

That’s just how it works. They will never import and be interpreted as STEMS that Engine extracts.

Wow, I wouldn’t have expected that. That was such an obvious function for me. Well, thank you very much for your answers.

@Hark_Bohm
If you want to add your own STEMS into the mix.

I recommend you to start looking at MIXXX (opensource and free) that supports STEMS.

Here are a few links that you can use to look at the workflow where I created stems using Audacity and OpenVino. Next I use the free NI STEMS creator tool to pack the individual files back into 1 STEMS file. Which MIXXX can understand as a 4 track individual stems file.

So I suggest that you use your DAW and pack the individual files using the NI tool and next put it on a USB drive. And check on your controller that Engine OS can read this as a STEMS file ?

PS: I hope I don’t get banned or yelled at, for publishing this :wink:

Hello,

I want to bounce on this.

Extracted stems are encrypted, fine. We don’t want to decrypt them. We just would like to generate Engine DJ-compatible stems from our own material.

If we make music and already have the 4 stems, we would lose quality if we had to mix these parts then ask Engine DJ to separate them. We know that.

What we need is a program derived from the existing one, or just another mode into the existing one, where we can drag drop our own stems and they would be converted to Engine DJ playable ones. The only difference with the current process is that the separation is not handled here, only the conversion is. The rest is identical.

Best regards,

Valentin

The technology exists (see recent forum posts) but the encryption thing still applies.

When you import your own stems, they have to be encrypted to the “Denon format”.

Then when the stems are moved to the playback hardware, the stems license is required in order for the hardware to unencrypt them and play them back - unless you have one of the devices that includes the license.

Hmmm what functionalities are you talking about ? And which recent forum posts are you referring to?

I can’t find any of those, please could you provide with links and references?

This actually is a cool idea. Worth to make a feature request out of this one.