How the "Echo Hold" is supposed to be used? Is this a bug?

I own a lovely Prime GO, I suppose this also happens in other Engine DJ standalones,although I am not 100% sure:

• I play a song (in any deck), then I turn on the “echo hold” effect (with that deck focused) and turn the feedback at 100%. This should behave similar to a loop, and it does. I can now turn down the volume fader of that deck, and hear only the echo hold tail (or “loop”, if the feedback is at 100%). So far so good, but:
  • When I turn off the effect (and also the focused deck), the echo hold loop is still playing, and there’s no way to turn its volume down or turn it off, unless I reactivate (turn on) the effect and the focused deck, but then the effect resets.

What I want to achieve is: apply the echo hold effect to a certain portion of a track, being able to control the echo tail without capturing more portions of the track into the echo. I thought I could achieve this by turning on the echo hold effect and activating the focused deck during only that portion of the track, and then turn off the focused deck. But it’s not working in this way.

Apologies if my explanation was not clear, I suggest you try it to check that the behavior of the echo hold is somehow buggy when the feedback is at 100% and one turn’s off the effect.

No worries, your explanation is super clear to anyone who has used Echo Hold.

This is by design and works by feeding back into itself. The way you exit this one is a little different due to how it works. You have to turn down the wet/dry knob. This is also the same for a few other effects of this type (maybe Cyclone?).

I turn it down while simultaneously turning up the hi-pass filter sweep knob on that channel to smooth it out to exit on breakdowns.

3 Likes

No, I didn’t express myself properly. I expected that turning down the wet/dry knob would turn down the effect feedback (so volume), but this is not happening when the effect button is deactivated.

From what I remember the wet/dry knob turns down the input to the effect, but as it is at 100% feedback, it won’t stop it.

If you have it at 100% it will be in a loop forever. Even pressing the FX on/off button will stop the effect but it’s 100% looping so until that is broken it will continue.

I wonder if another effect is possible to get the same outcome or if changing the parameters for feedback may help?

I also find the behavior of this effect very not dj friendly. Old denons had ECHO LOOP, that was what we actually need to have, but somehow someone went too far with this one. On X1800/1850 is HOLD ECHO that works exactly like ECHO LOOP. Why we can’t have this done in the way, that it is predictable in it’s behavior? No idea…

I think the same, and this effect is the most important for me. A re-thinking of this echo hold effect for a future firmware update would be so nice.

Moin

imo “ROLL” will roll