HELP! SC6000M bricked itself stuck in loop on updating motor

I searched the community forum for posts describing similar experience and it seems not uncommon. I tried restarting it in force update mode and pushing update from desktop updater app and it didn’t help at all. Other posts suggest this is a common defect. Of course I happen to be a week past my warranty period. What do I do now? This cost a butt load of money and I will be short a player for my next gig. I feel like something like this should be covered outside of warranty where there is an extremely common defect with the product itself. Please help!

Can you expand a bit on this, what/why exactly did not help - you could not restart it in update mode or you could not finish the update from PC (and why)?

I followed instructions to force push update to player (connect usb to computer, download / run updater program, start player while holding eject + source + layer, etc). It says it completes, but doesn’t fix the problem and player continues to get stuck in loop of updating motor and rebooting itself.

There is several posts with others who have had their player suddenly brick themselves in a similar way. Just search “updating motor to 04.04” and you can find examples. All of those posts are closed though so I’m not able to reply to them.

From what I can see all of those posts have the same solution: contact support and get the units sent to service.

My suggestion would be to call inMusic directly, don’t bother with the ticket. As you said, in cases like this where there is a common issue with the product they should cover the service even if it is outside the warranty.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I will try contacting them directly. Hopefully no issues getting through to them. Wish me luck! I will post back with more info on what next steps were in case it helps others who might be impacted.

I had this problem on one of my sc6000M units and there is absolutely nothing to do, nothing works, including firmware updates or reverting to previous versions. When this problem occurs, it means that the unit is completely blocked. I had no choice but to send it back to my dealer for warranty support. Apparently it must have been a major problem because I received a new unit about 1 month later.

I suspect a manufacturing defect on some series or some batches (probably the first batches manufactured). I had a little exchange by mail with the sales manager for Europe of Denon who had assured me that less than a dozen products sold had been returned in warranty for this problem. Obviously I think that this estimate is largely underestimated.

The Denon technical support is fully aware of this problem and does not want to communicate on it.

So we don’t know what could be the causes or the conditions that could lead to this problem. Nor even which are the concerned models being able to be potentially touched according to their serial number by this problem nor even that was resolved or not on the last batches.

I really love the SC6000M it’s a fantastic player and very pleasant to use but clearly I have the dread of seeing this damn problem reappear every time I turn on my units. The anguish of knowing if it will start correctly or not.

What I can say is that in my case the problem appeared when I turned off the player after connecting it to the computer and spending several hours adding files to the internal HDD from Engine DJ. So does the problem only occur after using it in “computer mode” or can it occur in other circumstances I don’t know. It would be interesting to know under which conditions the problem occurred with other affected users.