Giant music libraries and loading times

Greetings to all. I have a very extensive music library because I do very varied events. My music library exceeds 100k songs. I have a Patriot 2tb SSD installed that works great with very high read / write speeds. When I insert a USB memory and change from the internal ssd to the memory, I have very slow library refresh times and that makes it difficult for me to use other memories with my SSD. Furthermore, song searches are also slow. Is there a way to get faster library refresh rates? Can the search times also be improved? Is there a way to optimize the library? My “Engine Library” folder is larger than 21gb. I have the latest Beta version installed.

1 Like

Sounds like it may be a bug in the BETA firmware, please post your problems here, make sure you post it in the correct way, refer to this post on how to report problems or defects correctly.

It is not a beta error because it happens to me whenever I add all the songs that I have in the library. It happens to me with the official version 1.5.2 and earlier versions. I add 50k to my library and I have no problems. I add more songs and library refresh and search times are very slow.

It’s worth trying a better known brand.

I’ve had a look at the patriot specifications for their SSDs and they’re quite slow and probably, like a lot of non-high end ssd’s, may be super fast at moving zillions of small files for a few seconds, but they may get out of breath quickly when endurance loading of big files is needed.

If there’s a friend you have with a Samsung ssd then try that for a comparison

All SSDs are faster than an hdd but there’s a lot of differences between SSDs

What’s up @OficialDjCacho,

Sorry to hear of your issues. I quoted @Rich4x4h because this thought crossed my mind too. Not sure if this is the issue as I haven’t used Patriot products. I have a 1TB Crucial SSD (+600GB of media) installed in my P4 and a SanDisk 256GB USB with 200GB of media. Both of these drives have been Engine Prime analyzed and I haven’t had any loading time issues with either. I have another non-Engine Prime analyzed 1TB SSD and the loading time on this drive is noticeably slower.

I just read the comments and I forgot to comment that a while ago I had a 1tb samsung evo ssd and it happened to me exactly the same.

I am going to explain that I export my library from serato and it consists of more than 5000 subcrates and 103000 songs because I have my library the same as my file structure on the hard disk.

First of all…WOW!!! 5000 subcrates and 103,000 songs!!! Impressive.

Have you analyzed your library with Engine Prime?

1 Like

Yes.

The entire collection.

One of my pending tasks is to have all the songs with the complete tags and keeping the same structure in each song to be able to carry out more precise searches and locate duplicate files (If I find any between versions).

I am doing it little by little but it is a lot of work to add all the data to each song with its covers.

I have tried it in multiple ways.

I have even entered all the songs without crates and I have the same problem of slowness when loading the library and doing searches.

Could be the size of your library (complete guess). My library is only about 50% the size of yours. I just tested my Prime 4 using all three drives I mentioned earlier. The only loading issue was with my external 1TB SSD that I’ve been using strictly with Serato. This drive has never been analyzed with the Engine Prime desktop software, so the Prime 4 is slowly reading the drive and attempting to analyze the folders and songs every time I select it as my music source.

I’d run benchmarking on the ssd and try a borrowed fast drive

I have a 1tb samsung 860 evo and the exact same thing happens to me. I have performed a library optimization from the engine program and it has multiplied the size of the library. capture

1 Like

THE SAME HERE. Using a Samsung SSD T5 & T7. Abut 450GB Music. Before the last updates everything worked fine. Since the last updates the search function ist very ver very slow! It´s the same Library!!! Even Searching with “Filter” on f.e. “Artist” needs al lot of time (up to 60s) for a simple Search, which was before the updates about 8s… There must be a bug and it is horrible…

I’m starting leave my decks pointing at Tidal at gigs because the search speeds are faster for finding a track on Tidal than it is search the local drive.

It shouldn’t be like that.

I recently purchased a Denon Prime Go and I have the same problem with this unit. Search times are similar with different SSDs. My Samsung and Patriot SSD have the same load and seek times. I have seen time improvement with beta firmware. I have to measure the times to make a comparison.

The brand of SSD doesn’t matter. The issue is with the database. I’ve used top of the line SSDs, both internal and external. Same thing. Once you exceed 50k tracks, searches slow down. I have a 2TB drive filled with 155k tracks. Searches take 15 seconds or more (unacceptable!). I now do most of my gigs off of Tidal and/or Beatsource as it is faster and more efficient than Engine Prime/OS. I kinda get the feeling that Denon DJ and other DJ software/hardware vendors are working with the Music Industry to get us all streaming for gigs. I’m already doing that. At one gig I forgot to grab the bag with my SSDs. I ended up doing the entire six hour gig using Tidal and Beatsource. (Sh!tt!ing bricks the entire time praying that WiFi kept up!!) All good since the artists I play will get their $$ for me using their music. Anyways, I digress. Denon, fix your s#!t!!

1 Like

I use a denon DN-300z Bluetooth cd and ssd player that I connect my phone to for requests at events and parties. I have a subscription to Tidal. The requests play through the receiver

I don’t fool around with the slow search function of the Prime 4