First Gig - my sports club and I've volunteered to do the music for a halloween party

So as title, I’m a member of a local sports club. We’re having a halloween party. Normally somebody brings some shitbox of a bluetooth speaker and uses Apple Music or whatever. Anyway, I’ve volunteered to do some music using my shiny prime go and Bose S1 that I got a few months back. Any advice for a first timer ? The crowd are going to be around 40 - 60 but very friendly as they are all “friends” ish. Am thinking they want the usual halloween tracks which will be interesting to mix but nothing that a swift cross fade won’t go amiss and if there is a chance to bpm mix then I’ll go for it.

Ok as a beginner take a look at the mastermix dj beats and dj edits range. Biggest thing is keep in running. You may screw up… just go with it dont panic. First one out is hard but prepare properly wear comfy shoes and relax. Enjoy it above all… the adrenaline buzz at the end of the night makes it all worth while

2 Likes

Give yourself an idea of how you’re going to start; 4 or 5 tracks that’ll give you the chance to read the crowd. If they like the selection, keep going down that path. If not, try something different. Gigs like that are ace though, as reading a crowd is the biggest skill a DJ needs, so doing it in a friendly(ish) environment really helps you develop it.

As @Dj-alzy has said, enjoy it though, there is no feeling quite like it.

1 Like

Couple of 80s bangers. To start with ( thriller…etc etc) I reckon your mostly going to be on 90s stuff though but you can never tell until your standing behind that booth.

Remember that you’ll never make mistakes, only unplanned deviations from your routine!! :grin:

1 Like

If they’re your friends play some halloween tracks then just bosh loads of tunes out you know they love, they will appreciate that. And have fun:)

1 Like