"File Unavailable" Great... so how do I "locate"?

I imagine this must have been asked and answered but can’t find a relevant topic through search, apologies if doubling up…

When I rename a folder on my PC, or maybe even move a folder (containing the source MP3’s) obviously in Engine it tells you the files are unavailable and they appear in red. Fine, obviously!

I have been spending ages trying to find a “locate” option where I can point it towards the files which would now all be there still but under a different directory path… which I don’t seem to be able to show it!

Any ideas guys?? TIA

Page 11 of the manual? Item 7 - File System Browser.

Quote “7. Search: Click this field, and then use your computer keyboard to enter text to search for it in your tracks. Click the magnifying glass ( ) to modify your search fields. Click X to clear your search. See Operation > Searching for Tracks to learn more.”

This only seems to relate to finding tracks already imported within Prime (that’s not a problem I can see them) but they Prime can’t access them as the directory name has changed.

Using File System Browser only seems to let me import them again from their new location… They’re already imported, I just need to update their location within prime else I lose all the cue info and analysis and have to do it alll again! Which is a bit cumbersome considering it got most of the BPM and cue points wrong.

A little searching goes a long way https://community.enginedj.com/t/relocate-missing-tracks/12251/14

1 Like

Rename? Move?

It’s really a case of defining, in your own mind, what structure you want your music database to be - and then sticking to it.

If you really embrace crates, the actual path on your harddrive matters zero… as long as you don’t change it.

Cheers Jonny, as I said I’d spent ages searching, gave up a month ago, tried again last week and tried again today before posting so I was hardly being lazy! Especially as we find out there is no answer

Basically, there is no functionality to “locate”, at all? I have to go in and edit the database? Manually edit each file’s file path?

One of the most basic functions and Denon hasn’t thought of it? Marvelous! How hard can it be, even Cubase VST had it, that was written 21 years ago when we were all rocking Pentium 2’s

There’s currently no way to relocate tracks via Engine Prime software, the database is not encrypted though so you can manually relocate tracks by connecting to the database and running some SQL.

I hope Denon add this in a future update - the thing to remember here is EP is a very new piece of software so it will take time to fully mature, progress is being made - the 1.5.0 release fixed my main gripe with it which was the atrocious BPM algorithm so it’s just a matter of Denon’s priorities for the software.

1 Like

Thanks Jonny for helping when I’m growing so frustrated.

I gave up burning CD’s years ago, and haven’t used my CDJ 1000’s in probably 5 years.

I finally decide to get organized and go mp3 only route, thought sod Pioneer Denon seem back in the game, spend almost £5k on the hardware, I have 20 years worth of mp3’s badly organized on my PC (from various backups of laptops, old PC’s over the years). I’m trying to sort it all into sequence, which is testing) and catalog it properly but it’s going to take weeks. Not having this function is making it incredibly difficult… essentially I shouldn’t even bother using the Denons until my library is totally sorted… just incase I find a better way to reconstruct how its structured or change my mind where I would like it stored. (there can be no hard or fast rule to this it’s how you remember your music for quick access whilst mixing)

Whilst I enjoy playing on the Denons, the problems I’m experiencing with cataloging and loading tunes onto USB rather than direct PC connection totally outweigh that fun… gimmicks and looks over basic functionalities.

I would be lying if I say I’m not absolutely gutted I didn’t buy Pioneer now, I really am, I would have been fully up and running weeks ago and able to work on the library in the background, constantly improving.

Strictly speaking, you don’t need to organize the files on your hard drive, because once they’re in the database, all your organizing can be done from within the Engine Prime software.

You’ve got search, you’ve got columns to sort by, you’ve got crates and playlists. It’s all there to help in finding your music.

That’s assuming your files are all fully tagged with the correct info. If not, that’s where you need to start - regardless of their location on your PC.

The only problems are…

1. If your harddrive database goes corrupt in [only] EP - which has happened to me - then you will have wished your external harddrive matched the way you set it up in EP (for easy drag/drop fix).
  2. If you use your harddrive for any other DJ program, this method does not allow you to have replicated folder organization between EP and those programs.

I would use the method you recommend, but it’s too risky for me. I just wish EP offered a sync feature between the EP crates and the external harddrive folders.

1 Like

EP 1.5.0 does offer library backup so all you have to do is copy the Engine Library Backup folder on to an external hard drive.

In my case I have a library backup located in a NAS which includes tracks as well.

I think it’s good to have an offsite backup too, so my music is backed up to the cloud (as well as numerous laptops, drives etc). My VDJ folder is backed up to the same cloud, and I need to add my EP backup there too now I’m using that.

I’m amazed at the number of people who post on forums saying they “accidentally deleted” this or that, or something crashed and they lost their database. They say “How can I get it back?” but when you ask if they kept backups, well you can probably guess what the answer is.

To some extent I agree with that, the reality is though that most mainstream consumer cloud storage providers charge way to much for the services (dropbox, google drive, one drive etc), or at least they used to - I haven’t checked prices recently.

If I was looking for cloud storage I would definitely stay away from the more consumer focused providers and go with an enterprise focused option as it’s likely much cheaper.

Storage is dirt cheap on HDD’s these days - I have an offline “Archive” 3TB disk that cost me less than £50 and that only ever gets plugged in about once a month for perhaps an hour when I sync things from my NAS over to it, so the chances of that failing are low enough that I don’t feel the need for cloud storage.

I’m just about to lose my crap with these… grrr this issue has really fu** my whole experience and I’m so disappointed… before I give up and flog these to a mate of mine just want to gather opinions before I waste more time messing about,

Can I just use Rekordbox?? That has the locate function. Are their limitations with RB to Denons? If Denon decide to wake up on this, can I then just import the RB data files and hit the ground running?

Your help greatly appriciated

So let me get this straight…

You added everything to the database, then once you’d done that, you decided to start moving and renaming stuff - and you’re blaming the database?

It’s very simple. Add the moved/renamed files back to the database, so that it knows where they are. Then you can delete the references to their old location.

As you said 17 days ago after I pointed you to the manual, it’s a “bit cumbersome” but if you move or rename stuff after you’ve added it to the DB then that’s the result.

I thought you said you would “get this straight”. Mate I have music, from about 10 different genres, over at least 30 years. We are talking thousands upon thousands, of mps’3. Working out the perfect catalogue system for them (that I can easily navigate and easily locate) is going to be a mammoth task. It is work in progress! So what until it’s done, sod using the Denons?

I WOULD NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH PIONEER, Hello!! McFly? Anyone at home?

Add to that the fact that music from the 90’s (proper underground music) is still hard to get, and is now slowly starting to appear on Beatport, so the collection is still growing and metamorphosing. Things have to change to allow for curve balls.

As it grows, and changes, and then I need a different direction or to add a sub genre or then split catagories this crass software doesn’t allow me the ability to do that without losing the info’ I spent ages adding.

I am also replacing shi**y old vinyl rips, with pristine MP3’s, Youtube versions with pukka versions. You have no idea of the mammoth task I am undertaking and the fact this feature is missing unlike any other software used for similar. I am trying to create the perfect catalogue system, but as you open more folders, more backups from PC’s 15 years old, more problems present themself.

So no, I haven’t added EVERYTHING to the database, I don’t have 2 years off work in which to do so, also I will keep adding stuff as it becomes available. When a recod label from the 90’s suddenly manages to sort their licensing issues out and I decide I wish to add to my Bouncy Techno selection with Scottish Bouncy Techno to differentiate it, I’m screwed… You clearly can’t comprehend this, you dont what you’re talking about yet you still chose to blindly fight it’s corner? Why this misplaced loyalty when you do not understand the restrictions and the problems they cause?

As you said 17 days ago… you used to put all you “Abba files into a folder marked A” we’re clearly a different breed, Abba! pffff :man_shrugging:

I am blaming the database yes! It;'s the only one I know of with this function missing

1 Like

Ten genres? As many as that eh?

I couldn’t tell you how many different genres of music I have, but it’s a lot more than ten. I also add music to my collection every week, and have no issues with EP or any other similar software, because I’m organized and have read the relevant manuals.

I added my music to EP in less than 24 hours.

As I said earlier in the thread, it really doesn’t matter where the music is on the drive. It’s not necessary to add folders for every slight sub genre that comes along.

All you need to do when you’ve added more tracks to your drive is to update the database (see manual). It’s exactly the same with any software that uses a database. iTunes, Rekordbox, Serato, Traktor, VirtualDJ. The list goes on and on. You use the database to do the organising. As long as your files are tagged, you can find anything.

Yes, some software has a “relocate file” option, but it really only does the same thing as I suggested. It teaches the database the new location or filename.

Believe me I’m no Denon fanboy. I just know how to use a database.

1 Like

In all honesty l, if you’re going to be like that you may be minimising the number of people who would consider reading, or responding to this thread.

As others have said, think how your music collection would be best sorted, get it sorted that way, and lock that structure. Add to it for sure of course, but just don’t move any files from folder to folder or rename any

If we take sub generes out the equation then yes. I have no need for any others for mixing. House is quite a wide genre, then split that over 30 years… it’s exponential if we start looking at the offshoots. 10 Root genres is all I ever need… but then also apply different timeframes, 1 genre can turn into about 50!

I don’t want to fall out with you but you have come across incredibly arrogant in previous posts and just provided problems (me) rather than solutions (Primes limitations), I’m not here for more problems obvs’ and I think you struggled to understand the issue I am trying to resolve. I am not moving files and scratching my head, merely wanting to remain dynamic, bespoke, evolve!

I currently have music, recently added to prime on my C drive, that’s my SSD with low capacity for system and program folders primarily, but also about £500 worth of recent Beatport downloads which it defaulted to. On my massive D drive is where the messy, 500gig of tunes from over the years are. I need the c drive folders onto the d drive, but it took weeks to sort that lot out cleaning up the cue points, BPMs and cover folders, if I can’t move them it’s weeks and weeks of wasted work down the pan.

Then I have the clusterf*** of sorting this mess out on the D drive and I know it will change and I will need to reorder how it is structured over time, it just doesn’t allow.

I get it if you already have a half-decent catalogue system or protocol in place I can imagine it’s quite straight forward. Sounds like you did already and hit the ground running.

My main point is I was without a doubt getting Pioneer… the day I was about to order them I just thought I would research and found out about Prime. I then felt a bit like I was buying the equivalent of Apple by getting Pioneer… closed source, market share laziness, proprietary crap that hasn’t gone anywhere for years and is now overpriced. I saw the Denon prime series and felt, yeah, I’ll support that! Let’s go Android!

First when they arrived was a massive kick in the stomach they don’t support laptop/PC direct plugin which was a huge kick on the bollo*, and now this. They are probably the two most fundamental things I could have wished for. I just wish I had known, I wanted to support the underdog and go off-piste from the norm! My life would be a little better had I not. First world problems admittedly but frustrating beyond belief.

What is “they”, and what do you mean by direct plugin?

I assume you’ve bought a pair of SC5000 and an X1800 mixer. They’re all supported for use in/with Serato.

At the end of the day, using any software database is going to be hard for you until you have at least ensured the tags in all your files are complete, as that’s how these systems read and catalogue the info to allow accurate searching/organising.

If your tags are all sorted, and it’s just the file locations that are messy, then that’s much less of an issue.

There’s no substitute for manually going through and editing tags if you want it complete and accurate - and yes it takes a long time.