Feature Request NAS Engine

I’ve change my music storage system, today i try to sync some playlist and make new ones with music from my nas. I found out Engine cant work with music on a network-storage. Thats very bad. That would be great if you chance this in next update. The trend goes to minimize the storage on a pc, and save data on a cloud or something else.

5 Likes

You can do this already. Both Engine Prime and the Prime 4 can access cloud storage (albeit only Dropbox).

I think you dont understand my problem. I cant put my mp3s from nas in a Engine Playlist. But in the tree in engine i can navigate to my nas an take the files direct on my prime 4, yes thats work. It dont work with engine-playlists in my pc or mac

1 Like

Create a folder shortcut to the NAS in your user folder to allow apps like Engine Prime to see your Network drive as a local folder.

1 Like

You said there’s a trend to minimize storage on the PC, saving data in the cloud. I responded to that comment.

Actually I’d say that many more people use cloud storage now, than use NAS. NAS has always been quite niche, used by techy people who know about computers and networks.

OTOH cloud storage is bundled now as part of computer operating systems, so effectively everyone has it. I think it’s a better choice to integrate than NAS.

Windows ? It’s not working on my Mac

Yeah on Windows. Im sure there is a way to do it in Mac OS. I’ll spin up a VM when I get back home next week and see if I can figure it out for you.

Dont work for me. I have link the music folder on my nas on my local drive. Engine dont open it.

Sorry to hear. I’ve been using a NAS with Engine Prime since 2019 without issue. Used it with Serato and Rekordbox prior to that.

As you implied, people use third-party cloud storage only because they don’t know any better. However, NAS is superior in many ways. For me cloud storage is a nice complement to local storage, not a replacement.

1 Like

I’m considering getting a Prime 4. Is the Prime 4 seen as a local/removable drive on my computer when directly connected? Answer is probably yes, but can the Prime 4 access network shares? Obviously this is no dealbreaker, because to my knowledge no other standalone can do it ATM, but it would be a game changer especially now that so many people are streaming mixes from home. Not having to worry about copying files back and forth means you can just switch on your player and you are good to go, no need to prepare anything.

I wouldn’t mind having my entire collection on the Prime 4 internal drive (I have backups elsewhere so I don’t care if it’s on my laptop or the player) but the problem for me is the internal drive can’t be formatted as NTFS. This is a problem if you use Voidtools Everything which can only work on NTFS partitions. BTW if you are on PC and you aren’t using Everything yet, do yourself a massive favour and download it (it’s free).

If accessing network shares isn’t possible, then a controller, rather than a standalone player, will better serve my needs at the moment, and in this case It’d have to be Traktor or Pioneer since Denon don’t do controllers.

Please take a look into the Featrue request page about NAS support for EP. There are more than on request, but we need to bundle the request with many like, so that the Development-Team take attention of it as higher priority: https://community.enginedj.com/t/ep-to-access-nas-cloud-network-locations/13791 please set a like on it. All other users will thank you for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a new feature request about an old problem: https://community.enginedj.com/t/the-ability-to-access-read-music-files-on-a-raid-array-or-nas/36890?u=djnuno

The old feature request is moved somehow to legacy requests, but till yet I have not seen an right solution, where the NAS located/stored muisc can be managed/Organized directly with the engine software. As well would be nice if the Database where possible to store at an NAS location….with all the settings stored. So it would flexible if I manage my music with my MacBook or iMac or PC etc.

I got my network drive connected and accessible using the method from this link

https://community.enginedj.com/t/tutorial-how-to-connect-network-drive-nas-with-denon-engine-library

1 Like

I would love this feature too, it would help me having to stop transferring music all the time and let it pull it from my network storage.

Hi, here i a threat with a temporary solution, it works, not very intuitiv but i works and you can take your music from nas to prime over the network.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/tutorial-how-to-connect-network-drive-nas-with-denon-engine-library

@DjChrisFade … Errrrm you may want to check your spelling mate. I think you mean thread not threat… LOL

LOL I don’t know - some of the request posts here are bordering on threats :joy:

2 Likes

@Dj-alzy @PKtheDJ I think you two are so intelligent enough to understand my text. isn’t it like that?

sorry for helping, i can leave it and delete everything.

LOL back to u, very funny

1 Like

This isnt what i want… I dont want to access my music from ENGINE DESKTOP… I want my Prime 2 standalone controller to be able to see the network share independently…