Engine Software / develop.

Hello, I am djing for 15 years now and got a lot of exp. With a lot if hard and software …

Just want to share my thoughts about the Software to maybe help developers to do it better.

First of all i have to say… the Denon sc6000 prime are really nice … BUT… i think the biggest Problem is the Software … And thats the reason why denon cant get to the same Status as Pioneer … like beeing a club standart system …

1. stability: I got the player brand new out of the box… first made a firmware update to 3.3.0 … After that a big freeze after the reboot… and so everytime i turn it on … 1-3 times in a row the screen freezes and i have to disconnect power, the thing is … everything is working all knobs etc u can change layer … no problem but the touch screen freezes … u cant klick on the pop up measage so ure stuck in the screen. PLS fix it, at least change it that u can accept or deny that with a button also …. :man_shrugging:t2: It has to be stable for that prize.

2. engine menue on the player … Its okay … i tried a lot of different settings to make it work like a regular pioneer device… so all buttons are working the same, because of workflow its a lot better …. I think it would be nice if u can show the wav curve next to the tracklist … that u can see it before loading on a deck…. Second thing is the menue … if u open a stick for example and go to your playlist/folder why the step between is always open… ? Maybe make it small on the left side and use the space for metadata/track information …

3. customization … i would prefer if u could choose colors of the waveform also for both decks seperatly …

The windows/mac software … sorry to say that but its terrible …. For me in that state useless … i prefer recordbox to make my sticks /playlists …

If u compete recordbox with engine … u can clearly say that denon has not that much exp. When it comes to software/firmware…

Thats it, dont get me wrong… i like the product but the Software has to be on the same level … :v:t2:maybe someone can implement a few things in the next udate :v:t2:

5 Likes

It sounds like you bought the wrong brand.

3 Likes

Nope, just a little citic…

1 Like

Mine are fine, stable, work everytime.

It’s not ever going to be the same because it is not.

Minor issue

Use that then

Plenty of updates for Denon, does Pioneer do as much?

2 Likes

Its just constructive critic… to optimize.

and yes u can use it 1:1 like a pioneer Player if u took the right settings …. Every knob does nealy exact the same as on a pioneer unit … i got both next to each other ….

why not orientate from things that have long proven to be good🤷🏻‍♂️ that just would help the brand getting more attention from others.

And those points would make the workflow a lot easier :v:t2:

This its no hate or s.th. Like that …

I understand but I don’t think denon wants to be pioneer. Club based gear is all good, but I am not ever playing in a club and would have to pay twice the amount I did to get the pioneer stuff.

Basically you’d like engine to be rekordbox, and to have colours on the player?

2 Likes

No, dont get me wrong i dont want that denon is pioneer … but i have enough experience on both to say that a few things are not even on the map….

For example: searching a track and sort like : bitrate doesnt even exist on engine… the other insicator is wavecurve that u also cant see before loading the track to the deck … :man_shrugging:t2: on both of these u can „see“ the quality of the track …

At the end its quite the same thing as a pioneer player ….

Thats the thing … the price is nice and when they get more updates why not try to plement new features to do better ? Dont see a problem that are just simple things wich are nice to have …

The biggest struggle for me for switching from pioneer to denon was handling and workflow … is it the same ia it simmillar …

U getting used to it… and if u play also a lot of gigs in diffferent clubs its not so nice when there is a big difference … for example ….

:upside_down_face:

But the things you’re asking for aren’t improvements, they’re just to turn the product into a copycat of a rival product. At this point you might as well just buy the rival product.

Let Denon be Denon and Pioneer be Pioneer, we don’t want 2 sides of the same coin as our only product options to purchase.

As for yours asks in this last comment, I can’t think of a single logical reason why you would be wanting to sort music by bitrate, providing you’re sourcing it ethically from respected websites it should be of a good standard. We’re playing music not bitrates.

2 Likes

Well, i think u dont understand me :sweat_smile:

I know that it would be an improvement … because i know that it safes time and make tasks faster …

When i can see the wavecurve i can see where is a drop where is the melodic part even how high it is (how loud it is) … and if u see that u can sure faster select tracks that fit for sure ….

Yes i know u can do your Playlist before but how many times u change sth spontainiusly when u have a gig … :man_shrugging:t2:

I am ok how it is, wrote the same points on other social media accounts of denon … they said i should post it here … :v:t2:

If u dont understand how this makes things better/easier i dont know, maybe for you its good how it is … thats :white_check_mark:ok :upside_down_face::v:t2:

1 Like

I get the overview waveform being a library option as it would be handy, I think there may be an existing feature request for that. I guess the only caveat is screen space to display it (on 7” screens) so maybe the playlists tree needs shrinking. What pops up when you hold your finger on the track name? I know there is an info window but not sure what is on it.

Obviously there is also the trim to normalise volumes of tracks at differing levels, as someone who DJs lots with vinyl it’s a fundamental part of the workflow.

2 Likes

Yeah some metadata but this is time if u have to be fast or running out of time in action, so if u have it next to its all in one window… like it is in newer firmwares of pioneer or recordbox…. In the tracklist u need just that … miinimize the folder overview there u have space for it🤷🏻‍♂️ very simple …

:joy:sure it is … i started like this 15 years ago​:yawning_face:…… but digital is way different than analog …. Comprimized ■■■■ like everything under 320kbits is not for me …. If possible only wav files with highest quali … that makes the day and night difference … not @ home but on a „soundsystem“ :fire:

Like this … everything u need at one screen :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I can agree a bit. To be, the main thing is to update the library in the hard disk. It is not as it should be. It should be easier and more direct.

Also the grid and the effects should be better. Streams should be available in prime 4 not the 4+

Kind regards

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, you can stream tracks on both the Prime 4 and Prime 4+, aside from Amazon music that is.

That’s not comparable to the player GUI though is it, that’s the desktop software app.

And can’t you just ensure you’re not downloading anything below that bitrate in the first place? Which music sites are offering lower than 320k MP3 these days?

1 Like

I started in 1993.

Thanks for your thoughts but for me seeing the waveform or the bitrate on the player will not make any difference to my track selection and would possibly take away from other improvements being worked on or implemented. I’d prefer to be able to star rate a tune as I play it - that would give me a better reference for the future.

4 Likes

I understand that for people who still play old school style this might be useless … but tbh this would make sence for many others … pioneer implemented this with the rx3 /3000 series and it makes a difference … thats all i can say about that…. In my opinion my points written before are one of the moast importent things to do :man_shrugging:t2: but if not its also ok.

2 Likes

On the SC6000M I get the follwing info in the pop-up window:

Track (i.e. track title), Artist, Genre, Label, Album, Year, Directory, Filename, and the content of the Comment meta tag. On the left the artwork is displayed, BPM, harmonic key, playing time, and 5 stars for rating … it looks all very nice. :relieved:

I am not sure if the bitrate would really be helpful, it would not be in my case at the moment, but I appreciate options to show or hide info. It would be nice to see if it is a 16 or 24 or 32 Bit track, and the sampling rate - for consistency of a mix … and I would like to have an on demand spectrum analyser for individual tracks - sometimes a track sounds bad and the spectrum can indicate a reason, for example that the file is a vinyl rip. Actually, a hundred more things come to my mind, that could be displayed there, if I geek out over technical aspects :sweat_smile:

About the waveforms: Engine DJ displays a nice preview. I think that it does tell a lot about the structure of the track, which could be helpful … on the other hand, screen space is limited and I can live without waveforms in playlists on the players … but what might be less important for me could be crucial for another DJ. And I think that Denon DJ is doing a nice job of adding more features. I am looking forward to 2024. :blush:

1 Like

Why would you be DJing with different bitrates if you’re as experienced as you say?

For continuity across my sets I only use the same file type. I started my collection with MP3 320 and have maintained that as my collection is too large to start using wav or similar now.

I had a few issues when I first switched to Denon but the software has come on leaps and bounds and quite simply, the players blow the 3000s out of the water in every respect.

The software is only only version 3.3, think where it’ll be when it’s up to version 6 or whatever Rekordbox is now.

2 Likes

Hi Robert, in terms of the freezing screen, I had a long time the same problem. But in the end it turned out, that it was my fault. I created the USB sticks manually by copying the mp3 files manually to the stick. You need to create the USB sticks or SD cards by the export function of the Engine DJ software. Once I understood that this is a must, my PRIME GO did not freeze any more. I hope it helps you :slight_smile: rgds, Harry

4 Likes