Engine Prime Won't show Serato files (which are held on a NAS)

I’ve been trying to import music from Serato, it says it’s analysing 6500 tracks then when it finishes I see nothing. Same when I drag and drop from iTunes. Analyses but not tracks showing.

All my music is on a NAS and the drive is logged in windows 10 as my drive Z.

Any ideas ?

Am I missing something…I’m not moving my music off my NAS as it backs up automatically to the Cloud, Serato and rekordbox are ok with it being on my drive Z?

1 Like

Hi Andre. At this stage, the main music collection cannot be on a network drive (eg: NAS). This may change in the future, however, in the meantime, copying the music files from the NAS to a regular external hard drive would be your best option.

Yes, please add NAS/network storage at some point. I just moved all my files from my PC to a NAS, added a ton of new files, and only now realized that I can’t import anything. Thanks.

1 Like

Search feature request to see if this as already been requested

1 Like

NAS, NAS, NAS. NAS, include NAS FIX IT

Do you introduce yourself to a room in the same manner?

It is known as Computer Science 101! Let the OS and Kernel do the work, it is why we do not grant this access to applications, it is stability.

A system call is simple. handle it as such.

They are over complicating their app.

I am wasting time with black-box fixes, I should be dropping the play head and working on why I purchased the mixer in the first place, not fixing a broken application. That fact that this has been being requested for some time, over a year, if I am correct; this should have been resolved. Storage should be anywhere!

In my case, I need to share my l libraries with various hosts. My workflows demand working remotely, working from multiple laptops and desktops, even VMs.

What I do not understand is why Engine DJ has not treated any filesystem as they do with the USB.

The way I like to introduce myself and start to deal with people is to use some basic social skills, it seems you’re lacking a bit in that department.

This is a forum, imagine your written words converted to spoken text, then imagine the impression it would leave on people as a starting point to a conversation, then imagine why your rants might just not be taken seriously.

1 Like

You were/are not a Senior Program Manager in Strategic Planning with full preview across a Fortune-500 (or ~15) dealing with these trivial issues.

I do not have a bedside manor, I am a UNIX systems administrator. In ~'98 the Windows team and dev team came to me to solve their first SMB issues. This is not rocket science, it is systems calls. Most development teams solve a situation that has already been addressed. Developers, for whatever reason, ignore this fact. From an application point of view (given latency is not an issue, geo issues usually), storage should never matter.

The only work around I have is use a huge USB drive and load my library there to manipulate, not desireable as I have setup massive smartlists in Apple’s Music, I was planning on using the iTunes playlists to drive my gigs playlist. Edit cue, loops, etc in Engine, edit light profile in SoundSwitch and load to my USB and Deck. I plan to automated the entire workflow, so that I can concentrate on dropping the needle.

1 Like

Sweet jesus lord o mighty, I would rather have 10 noobs on the forum that struggle with the proper formating of their USB stick than 1 of these IT guys that come every couple of weeks bragging how they could do a better job.

Just mute and wave boys, mute and wave…

2 Likes

Never ceases to amaze me.

1 Like

You may not like it or his “bedside manner” but he’s not wrong. The Engine software has overcomplicated something that should be basic file access and management.

1 Like

And that warrants creating an account on a forum just to come here and be generally rude, ignorant and arrogant with a touch of incoherent ranting?

Funny how loads of us have been managing music libraries on computers for well over 15yrs with no issues (I even updated mine today for a gig I have on Friday), but some tech nerd is getting his knickers in a twist over not being able to use a RAID system.

Just buy a bigger hard drive for your computer then use the RAID to back it up, that’s what I do, by way of Time Machine, then it’s in two places.

And yet, people keep asking for more and more features to be added to Engine Software. Features which are not file access and management.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Most people these days have computers, but what percentage of them even know what a NAS is, let alone need one?

They’re niche things. Of the DJs who use the Engine desktop software, how many have a NAS? I’d put money on it being a very small number.

Drive space is massive these days. It’s usually easy to expand your computer’s onboard storage. That’s the best place to keep your tunes. Alternatively, external drive. Cheap, easily available/replaceable and fast. Next option - cloud storage.

The vast majority of Denon/Engine users don’t need/use a NAS.

(for the record I’ve owned/used NAS boxes in the past, bought out of curiousity as I’m a gadget guy)

1 Like

I use one for my photos, I’ve also put my ‘full DJ mixes’ folder on it as my collection of peoples DJ mixes got out of hand (500gb+)… I then use a time capsule to back up my macs but my collection is always on my main laptop, with it backed up in a couple of other places (including inside the prime itself)

I’m all for backup using RAID where possible but this guy has it completely the wrong way around, store your music exactly as you described then use the RAID to back it up, not reference music from the RAID.

Just sounds like another ultra niche thing to moan about imo.

1 Like

Feasible solution: iSCSI

Windows, you have iScsi initiator built in, use it. I am not a maid, I do not do Windows.

Mac/OSX: Find an iScsi driver or solution, for now, I am using https://www.daemon-tools.cc/, some of the other tools you might find useful… It is a reasonable cost solution. Others were > $99.

Configure your NAS to support iSCSI, create an image, format as exfat, mount, copy your media across. Reimport to iTunes and other apps you use. Import the collection from the iScsi into Engine DJ Collection/Crate.

This may eventually be my solution as iScsi can be configured to be accessible across the net.

The other solution was to write a down and dirty driver that presented Engine DJ a USB drive at the OS level from the NAS mount. It is functional and works, but I will not support that, I am not a developer. It also had some interest side effects relating to file handles, but it was dirty code.

I hope this will help some folks. iScsi may be out of most people’s pay grade for understanding. Downside is that I am giving up ~200 GB on my NAS as you can not grow these, think of them as an ISO.

that is driven by compititon! e.g. trackor, rekordbox, seranto…

have you ever been in a development cycle? this is a single product? try something fun like every business unit in Cisco, HP, Y!

file handles should be the first job of any application, interface with the kernel, linux, osx, hpux, solaris, windows… if file handles are taken care of properly in an application, the OS or mounts no longer matter. Fromt he application point of view, it requests access, provided AAA is correct, it is a simple file manipulation from the application.

Like I originally said, let the OS and kernel do what they do best.

I did not mention the other solution, running engine dj in a container or VM, then present the drive as local or USB. Painful solution.

I may build it further out to put on AWS or other such arch. Then I can operate Engine DJ (OS version from anywhere). I may take a look to see if communication can be established from the Mixer through the USB B cable. It would be awsome to “stream” content from any source like the Beetport/Soundcloud, etc. iScsi may become a more robust solution in this case.

I’ve given the workaround for iSCSI in the past, but it isn’t more than that; a workaround. The implementation of iSCSI on well known NAS brands isn’t really great (or stable even), but LUNs can be expanded on most. However, iSCSI traffic over a VPN isn’t a solution either…

Better to have simple SMB support as found in the feature request topic by SirReal. In my case, NAS’ are for my backups, I use a server for SMB shares.