Engine Prime vs Engine DJ

What I mean by this, perhaps unwittingly describing incorrectly as ‘truly standalone’) is using the SC6000s without any computer, DVS program, outboard interfaces, or inboard interfaces found in compatible digital mixers. Just the SC6000s alone connected to a high quality analog mixer with all the essential features already in Engine DJ OS that are currently found and relied on in Serato DJ Pro.

How do you currently prepare and analyse music for your 6000s then? I loaded a RB stick into mine and found it rubbish, the drive I have analysed with Engine is much better and easier to use the actual music.

What are the ‘critical features’ it’s missing as a library management tool? I’ve found it quite useful and no different Rekordbox

I’m curious, how would you get music onto the device in this situation?

1 Like

Drag and drop. Show pc library on prime and allow you to drag files in

All just to avoid Engine?

I personally use the Serato sync feature to keep it in line with my Serato library then push tracks to the SSD on the prime.

People keep saying Engine is missing ‘critical features’ but don’t specify what, it’s all very vague.

1 Like

Only thing that appears to still be missing from Engine DJ Desktop as a management tool compared to SDJP (that I’m aware of so far anyway) is a feature like Serato’s ‘Flip’ which is an automated track editing feature.

Engine DJ OS on the other hand is still missing stacked waveforms displaying 2 or more playing tracks across multiple players (which is used for advanced programming), as well as the ability to see artwork larger as well as see Comment and Label information of all tracks being displayed at once without having to perform a keyword search or press/hold individual tracks. These are essential features for me that if/when Engine DJ OS finally gets on SC6000s will likely allow me to ditch SDJP and go exclusively SC6000s in standalone mode. And considering the beautiful, large displays of the SC6000s it seems utilizing all that glorious extra real estate with features like these would make sense and prompt getting rid of laptop.

PS: I explain a bit further the reasons why some of these missing features from Engine DJ OS mentioned are essential for me on this other thread if interested in learning more about that: https://community.enginedj.com/t/displaying-and-searching-the-comment-and-label-fields-of-tracks-in-library-on-sc6000

1 Like

Ah right so you’re wanting Engine to be a performance software?

My laptop can’t handle 3 decks running in Serato so I’m actually looking at running a standalone 3rd player, I don’t need the visual aides and used to mix 3/4 decks with vinyl and CDs so happy to just brush up on those skills again when I get another deck up and running.

The search stuff would definitely be useful for those who use it, I’m not organised enough to have artwork and comments on many of my tracks, and too many are without it to start trying to fix now.

If you’re referring to Engine DJ Desktop being used by SC6000s in Controller Mode via connected laptop; that would defiantly be nice for home use because of the larger visual real estate a laptop provides, as well as a real keyboard and other tools which can sometimes be easier to use than digging around on smaller displays using GUI soft controls. But what I’m really hoping for more tea any of that is for Engine DJ OS to mature and adopt several essential features that I believe would make a laptop running Engine DJ in controller mode much less necessary or desirable. The SC6000s displays I feel are large enough now that they could be much better utilized by adopting these essential features and render controller mode a nice to have rather than a must have.

Denon DJ’s PRIME Series: Denon DJ’s hardware (SC’s, Prime 4, Prime 2, Prime Go, LC’s)

ENGINE DJ Software: Desktop OS for music management and software embeded in standalone hardware (currently available on Denon DJ Prime hardware and Numark’s Mixstream Pro).

My assumption is that the separation was necessary because of more Engine DJ-Dependent equipment is to come possibly from other brands.

1 Like

Yep, I’m straight on that now, thank you. It was the “Engine Prime” application that was confusing me since learning there was an “Engine DJ” application because I wasn’t aware Engine DJ had replaced Engine Prime and Engine Prime is now a thing of the past (which now makes sense because the whole previous naming structure was confusing).

Merged some posts.

Please use the pencil tool to edit or add to your own posts instead of reply again. Makes my life easier and the forum better readable. :smirk_cat:

1 Like

FYI: There’s and entire website available to answer your question.

Out of interest, do your same wishes apply to Rekordbox and how it’s implemented into CDJ players?

My personal view, DJ software is DJ software and isn’t the same thing as the interface used in media players, I’m not entirely sure it will be the same as many many people just don’t want or need all the features found on a laptop screen migrating into players.

As someone who has a residency using CDJ-2000s, a Prime 2 for other gigs and Serato DJ on a 13” laptop at home, pretty much the only thing I prefer on Serato is the larger library text and quicker scrolling. Searching on the 2000s is horrific but the mk2 and 3000s have solved that to an extent.

1 Like

I haven’t used Pioneer CDJs for several years now since semi-retiring from DJing out professionally after 30 years (last being the CDJ-2000NXS2 in HID mode with Serato DJ Pro), and never used Rekordbox, so I’m not up to speed on what they are/aren’t currently doing. These days I’m pretty much DJing strictly at home and made the switch to Denon when the SC5000 came out because of the dual layers which allowed me to control 4 decks in Serato DJ Pro in controller mode using the Rane SL4 (which has now unfortunately been dropped and no longer supported).

My understanding however of the CDJ-3000 is that it does now feature stacked waveforms across multiple players which is great because that’s one of the essential features found on Serato DJ Pro that keeps me tied to it. Not up on any of their other advances though. I think that if the Denon decks/Engine DJ OS adopted this key feature I could probably ditch SDJP all together (maybe anyway).

Although serato are discontinuing with rane you can still use serato just use the version you are on and dont update it. I.know plenty of djs still using 1.9… their reasoning is they know how it works they sre happy with the way it works. It aint broke so dont fix it attitude.

That’s exactly what I’m doing as a short term solution. Long term however is another story, which is why I’m doing homework now to prepare incase Serato fails to provide a solution to the problem that’s been created of interfaces being no longer available or supported (preferable a paid unlock license that simply allows SDJP to be used with any interface, including the interface already built into SC6000s which would be ideal, but who knows). This using of outdated software will eventually become a problem though when new media players inevitably come to market which will mean SDJP software will need to be updated in order to work with them.

I think it has ‘dual’ waveforms, not sure it supports more but could be wrong.

If you’re referring to CDJ-3000 having stacked waveforms across multiple connected decks; yes, it does. Not as slickly as Denon could do it though IMO, mainly because of the huge displays SC6000 and how they could be utilized, but at least Pioneer recognizes the need/desire for stacked waveforms and has delivered.

The only issue would be if (when available) you got a 128 bit laptop the possibly the 64 bit software would want an upgrade. But as of now it appears serato are adding control surfaces and removing others. No new features. So no need to update. Hopefully by the time those days get here we will be on engine 10 and it will be the all singing all dancing software we wsnt it to be

You might need to point me in the right direction here because all I can find is the 3000 allowing you to see the ‘master’ waveform on top of the one on the deck you’re mixing into… so yeah if you have 4 decks you can see it ‘across multiple devices’ but certainly not at the same time.