Engine Library on SC6000 is corrupt - every time

I have 2x SC6000, one with an internal SSD. I run Engine on Windows 11 and connect to the SC6000 with a USB cable.

Every time I try to sync between the PC and the SC6000, the library on the SC6000 gets corrupted. It really is every time. I have to reformat the internal drive and start over.

Below is my process. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

1. Boot up Windows
  2. Turn on SC6000
  3. Wait for SC6000 to start up and recognise the internal drive
  4. Switch the SC6000 to Computer Mode
  5. Wait for Windows to see the SC6000 drive
  6. Initially Windows says there is a problem with the drive, but then it says is OK
  7. Open Engine on Windows
  8. Engine says SC6000 is corrupted
1 Like

Little more info needed. Brand of ssd and what is the filesystem (FAT32 or ExFAT)? Size of library and disk?

Crucial SSD 512GB. File system is ExFAT (as Windows 11 only gives me choice between NTFS and ExFAT). Size of library on the PC is 27GB.

I choose only to sync a selection of playlists, I would estimate that I sync about 15GB to the SC6000 SSD.

Do you safely eject the device after synchronizing and before turning off computer mode?

It gets corrupted before then. I switch to Computer Mode, start Engine on PC and it immediately says the drive is corrupted before I have a chance to sync.

The drive was fine yesterday, I played a 2 hour set as normal. I had to reformat and resync the drive before my set as it was corrupted then too. Like I say, it happens every time.

What version of Engine are you using? Are you making sure your desktop app is on the current version with the latest DB? also have you re-analysed your whole library and then done a clean export?

The DB itself is on its 3rd version now.

Both the SC6000s and the Engine PC App are running 3.2.0.

I havenā€™t reanalysed my whole library, but yes a clean export each time after I have reformatted the SSD.

For some more context, the system is running perfectly fine now after doing a clean sync, but if I try to do another sync the corruption happens again. I am careful to eject the SSD after a sync.

have you tried a clean sync and resync to a usb/sd card?

just to try and isolate the source of the problem.

another thing to try is a new main DB aka Nuke and rebuild

I would re-format it clean, then run any disk surface tool like macrorit disk scanner to check the ssd. have you tried a clean sync, then not ejecting, adding another playlist and syncing again? This will help to point out if your problem is on db syncing or in ejecting drive.

One of my favorite skills that has helped me with troubleshooting anything from fighter aircraft to kitchen appliances :sweat_smile:

What firmware are your 6000s running? And what version of Engine DJ are you on? I would recommend reverting to a prior SC6000 firmware to add to your process of elimination. All firmware in the prime hardware have problems right now.

As an update, I havenā€™t exactly solved it but I have managed to sync a couple of times with no issue. My procedure is exactly this:

1. Turn on SC6000 and wait for it to boot and discover the internal drive.
  2. Switch the SC6000 to Computer Mode and wait until its done.
  3. Look in Windows to make sure it recognises the SC6000 drive.
  4. Open the Engine application on PC.
  5. Sync.
  6. Eject the SC6000 drive from the Engine application on PC.
  7. Switch the SC6000 back to normal mode.

The SC6000 database seems to get corrupted if the Windows Engine application is open when I switch the SC6000 to Computer Mode. Almost as if it access the SSD before the SC6000 is really ready.

Fingers crossed!

You donā€™t have to format the drive if the database gets corrupted!

Is Engine DJ still displaying that ā€œformat the driveā€ message?! :man_shrugging:

Itā€™s only the database (files on the drive) thatā€™s corrupt - not the drive itself.

Surely not, but if you use the media only for playing, formating and re-exporting is the quickest and most ā€˜secureā€™ way to do it

Yeah I know, but it is minimal effort and Iā€™m trying to be as thorough as possible.