Engine DJ - Show currently loaded tracks in playlist

Hi guys,

I just bought a Prime Go for mobile use, but am using Pioneer gear at home.

Is there a way in Engine DJ for Desktop to display your currently loaded track(s) in your collection and or playlist window?

When you load a track in deck A for example, there is no indicator in your collection and or playlist that the current track is loaded into a deck.

This gets especially annoying when another track is highlighted and shows a gray play button near the preview.

Rekordbox highlights which track is loaded in a deck no matter your selection in your library or playlist.

I imagine you’re referring to using your prime go while connected to Engine desktop by wifi or lan and fetching your tracks directly from the computer using this method.

On rekordbox, the connection is via USB in addition to LAN, so any changes you make on your decks are reflected in real time on your computer screen. For example, you can browse playlists and see which tracks you’ve loaded, because USB uses a protocol for exchanging information between the computer and the device you’re using.

On Engine, for the moment, the connection is only made by wifi or Lan using a basic server/client type protocol. So at this stage Engine Desktop is just acting as a content-sharing server and there’s effectively no on-screen feedback on the actions taken on the devices.

Furthermore, due to their hardware design, the prime range cannot be connected in standalone or USB controller mode at the same time, which is why a reboot is required to switch to controller mode.

So as long as engine dekstop doesn’t have a ‘performance’ mode and is just a simple library management software, I don’t think it will be possible to get feedback on the computer screen, even just on navigation.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I do not have a device connected at that moment and I am not talking about performance mode like in Rekordbox.

I am using Engine DJ like Rekordbox to prepare mixes or playlists for the next set and export them to USB drives or SSDs on my main PC.

Imagine it like this: You sort your playlists for example to show the content of an album, you load a track form that album to a deck, maybe play it for a few seconds and set a few cue points but leave it loaded to a deck.

Now you keep scrolling around or changing folders in your collection, change the sorting to BPM or key and switch back to the album later on.

Now you are unable to see which track of that album is currently loaded without reading the name and searching it / scrolling for it in your collection.

In Rekordbox you still get a little icon on the side of a track in your collection to show you that it’s loaded into a deck, even in preparation mode.

Ah, so when you talk about loading/loaded to a deck, you’re talking about the player(s) in the desktop software?

The confusion has occurred because your original message said that you just bought a Prime Go, then you start talking about loading to decks.

Yes I was saying that I bought a Prime Go, but I wrote in the subject and in the text that I was talking about the Engine DJ desktop software and not Engine OS on the Prime Go.

I think because the Prime series are standalone players, and the desktop software is not “DJ software” for performance, when someone talks about tracks on decks, our first thought is hardware decks.

Both Gaian and I did notice you’d mentioned Engine DJ though, so that’s why Gaian mentioned the Remote Library function.

1 Like

Does anyone know when “Performance Mode” will be available for Engine DJ?

What do you mean by ‘performance mode’ ?, are you talking about Engine Desktop being similar to Serato etc?

If so then i haven’t seen any evidence whatsoever that is even in the pipeline, in fact the opposite is true, as per the legal documents presented in the Alphatheta merger.

It doesn’t need to be available - because the Prime series are standalone players.

I’m fresh user of SC Live 4, previously I worked with DDJ400. It would be nice to work with 15’ laptop screen, but honestly I don’t like Serato. I consider going into VDJ, but it costs a little so that my question was. But thank you guys for quick reply. I need to play some hours at home and decide :slight_smile:

You could try Algroiddim Djay Pro perhaps? im not sure if its compatible but ive been playing around with it at home and quite like it.

The SC Live 4 is not natively supported by Algoriddim, and even the supported products don’t have a working screen.

You could map it yourself, which is reasonably simple, but time consuming.

VirtualDJ will give you screen support, and you can trial it for free or rent it monthly.

I do find it strange when people buy a standalone system then want to use it as a controller :man_shrugging:

I need a transition period :yum:

1 Like

I use both still, Serato/Djay Pro at home with DVS and a Prime 2 for gigs. My honest advice after nearly 3yrs of standalone use at gigs, try and make that transition as soon as possible, you can turn up to a gig and connect 2 things and start mixing within 5 minutes. In fact with my new battery powered monitor i can get wired up even faster.

Thank you for the advice. Actually I am mobile DJ and I have a pretty much requests during gigs and some of them not allways are available on streaming platforms. Becouse of that a laptop is really needed during that kind of parties. For club gigs for sure I will try to play just with SC.

1 Like