Engine DJ Bugs: Excessive Track List Refreshing/Losing Place and Search Term Is Overwriting Track Title

Hello. I am reporting multiple bugs that are combining to make Engine DJ unusable in version 2.2.2.

First bug, is the Track List is refreshing way too often, losing my place I was working/looking at within the browsing list. When the list refreshes, I have to wait a few seconds as the track list highlight improperly refocuses the selection to the top of my list. If I wait a few seconds more, the Track List will refresh again and return me to the highlighted track item in the appropriate sorting location. However, if I accidentally click or hit any buttons, the track highlight will jump somewhere else in the sorted Track List and I will lose my location I was working on. I will not know where in the list the track I was working on is located. ~The Track List sorting refresh will happen with most beat grid edits, BPM changes, or renaming any track tag. This happens after I complete the edit of a track tag (hitting enter to finalize the tag change). ~The Track List sorting refresh will also happen randomly without user input. This can also happen while editing a track tag, before the typing is completed. If the Track List sorting refresh happens as I’m typing, the tag saves a cutoff of what I was typing. Like, it can save “Techn” as I am trying to type “Techno” into the genre tag. ~ I am in Collection view when this most often happens. I am always sorting by Key, BPM, or Genre when I am browsing to make edits. This irritating behavior happens no matter what view I am sorting in. I do believe it happens when I am in collection view because the software cannot handle listing 11000 tracks in one tracklist at once. But I cannot verify for sure. I want to be able to examine all tracks I own in a key, BPM, etc without having to wait 6 seconds every time I press any edit button.

Second Bug, When I search something in the Search text box, Engine DJ is taking a random track and overwriting the Track Title tag with the name of the item I am searching. ~Specifically, the Track List resorting bug occurs while I am typing or editing something, but if I accidentally edit a track while the Track List auto-refresh is occurring, Engine DJ will lose the location I am working on and would need to manually scroll through the Track List to get my place back to resume my track review. It is extremely frustrating. A workaround is if I remember a track name in the place on the sorted list I was working on, I would type that track name in the Search bar, select/highlight the track name that returns in the Search field, then I will X close the search keyword with the highlight on the track still selected. This will trick the auto-refresh to re-highlight the track in the location I was originally working on in the long sorted list before the autorefresh bug made me lose my place in the browsing Track List. ~ However, it seems when I delete the search text in the Search box with a track selected, this will take a random track about one page down the browsing list, and automatically rename the Track Title tag field of the song to the name of the song I highlighted before I deleted the Search text box text to force the auto-refresh to get my highlighted place back.

The combination of these two errors together makes Engine DJ unusable. I cannot review a list of items to edit without constantly losing my place in the large list. Then my trick to quickly regain my place in the browsing order will wreck my track titles.

I shot a video demonstrating both errors. Please observe how the Track List reshuffles itself because I lock or unlock a beatgrid, which edits a tag column and forces me to wait for the list to refresh. Please observe the song Out Of Space by The Prodigy. After searching Because We Can by Fatboy Slim, you will see The Prodigy song change its song title to Because We Can without my knowledge.

drive (dot) google (dot) com /file/d/1ssXNDdRLUZifCr53Tw7q5qp8-OAvcNdX/view?usp=sharing

I am using Engine DJ version 2.2.2 on windows 10 home, intel core i3-5020U, 8gb RAM, hundreds of gigabytes remaining in C drive. 11000 tracks in the collection. I purposely disconnect from internet and use no other programs while using Engine DJ.

Please prioritize these fixes for next update! Thank you for your consideration.

1 Like

I am checking in. I upgraded Engine DJ to 2.3. The highlighting problem continues to occur after some testing. I did not attempt to trigger the track rename bug from risk of wrecking track titles I would not be able to locate. I also confirmed this issue happens only in full Collection view. When I am in my playlists, the Track List behaves normally when I edit beatgrids and tags. So when Track List has too many tracks to list (11000?), the highlighting behavior goes nuts.

The upper left corner version of the Track Title under the Engine DJ logo does not do anything when clicking on it. Would your team be able to make it so clicking on that upper-left Track Title simply highlight-focuses the matching item in the Track List? This would let me find my place quickly in a sorted list when the highlighting misbehaves. Could you make it so clicking on the upper left Artist Name take my Track List highlight to the last two or three locations I selected on the Track List? When I sort by BPM then edit the track BPM, the track will resort itself immediately to the new BPM, still losing my place in the multiple tracks I wanted to work on. [Like if I’m looking through 180BPM tracks, and I “/2” a track, it jumps my Track List highlight to the track now filed in 90BPM, losing my place in the list. Then I need to scroll back to the 180BPM tracks to browse again.] Putting a minor feature to snap back to the highlighted area of the Track List I was working on or the memory of the cursor I was previously at would speed up my browsing and beatgrid fixing and moving things to a playlist before losing my place in the Track List and then I lose my thought.

Thank you for your help.