Engine DJ 2.2.2 still horrible

NAS still doesn’t work for me for the Engine collection specifically. Like I said, I can analyze, edit and play from the Apple Music and Rekordbox nodes in Engine DJ but when I try to add those tracks or playlists to the Engine collection…nothing.

Because when songs become irrelevant a few months after being released, I move them into the secondary/archive folder, second to that main folder. Why would I keep a bunch of tracks in my main folder just to never be used.

Why to put them there in the first place?

I don’t put in my collection tracks that would be used only once. I don’t like disposable music :confused:

1 Like

Loading from NAS has never worked for me (Mac OS) and making symlinks has not helped. My work flow is to download purchased tracks and store on the NAS then copy those to a local volume for Denon usage. It does force a (another) “backup” of the files which is the only positive I can take from that.

I do miss my Traktor workflow, was easy to download a track mid-set and load it into a playlist or empty deck. NAS issues aside I would have to place the new file on external storage then connect to the Prime 4 and I don’t want to even consider the potential DB-sync issues I’ll have with that.

I’ve learnt to live with the simplistic sync’ing but I do enjoy the Prime 4 as a whole and I don’t miss having to make sure drivers are available for the external soundcards, midi controllers etc and that I can still backup the various iPhones for the family.

Dude you’re taking that sentence out of context from my first sentence! My first sentence says, "BECAUSE WHEN SONGS BECOME IRRELEVANT A FEW MONTHS AFTER BEING RELEASED, I MOVE THEM INTO THE SECONDARY/ARCHIVE FOLDER"

If you are familiar with the open-format DJ world, you know that songs become obsolete a few months after they’re released. This is why my music management structure is - for one example - RAP FOLDER A and RAP FOLDER B – with FOLDER B being my archive folder, in the rare instance I go back and need a song.

To the original point of this post, Engine DJ is still garbage and whenever Denon decides to drop their ego I have a dozen bug/glitch videos proving their software still has issues. Engine DJ can’t hold a candle to any other modern DJ software.

Engine dj is not a dj software to start with… Still - You said that You have music in the collection that You never use. So why to put it there? I read the whole context. Open format djing can be done without disposable music too.

2 Likes

I agree with NoiseRiser here. Good music never becomes irrelevant. Just recently a song from 1985 became a hit all over again due to use in a streaming series.

You mention being an open format DJ - but do you really not play anything older than a few months? To me, open format means playing tracks from 1940s to present day.

If I’m doing a gig and someone asks for a track from 1960, I’m not going to say “sorry that’s obsolete”. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m on this train of thought too.

Off hand the most disposable tracks I own are probably Patrick Topping - Be sharp say nowt or something like Robin Thicke…. Both of them I’d never remove as I don’t hate them and might still play.

Any of those proper trending tracks like gangnam style or whatever I just wouldn’t own.

Devils advocate though, I don’t do weddings or birthdays so those DJs will have an entirely different mindset to me and may see value in removing tracks from their collection.