Dropbox must be managed as a cloud and not a streaming service

Dear all, are developers confusing streaming services with clouding ones? Dropbox is a clouding service: I expect files to be synchronized when the device is online but always available even when it is offline. Instead, files are streamed only when online. This is a big problem when playing where there is no data connection. Also, having to wait for the file to download every time you change songs is absurd! This feature makes the difference! Come on guys! I preferred Denon to Pioneer precisely for this service, but managed in this way I find it absolutely useless.

1 Like

it only access’ the files from within dropbox, if you want the files on hand all the time, keep a copy on your computer hard drive (synced with iCloud) then have a hard drive with your media on to plug into the prime.

1 Like

What has always been done with a traditional entry level console. So why spend so much more for a “connected” one? My idea was to have two-way communication between home PC and Prime. The cloud is for this.

1 Like

Which I’m sure works fine, but I would never rely on it for professional use, so I keep all my music backed up in Dropbox, which I use to populate engine desktop, and load onto the internal drive I installed inside the prime, I then use tidal if wifi is available for those requests I don’t carry.

1 Like

I too have installed the internal unit, but in this way every time I update the library I have to physically connect the P4 to the PC and for me it is a problem because the PC is a 27" MAC and the devices are in two very distant rooms.

I decided to buy a Denon Prime Go after years of using various controllers (where a PC has to be connected all the time) as I wanted to be free from needing to spend time on a laptop organizing my music.

The way in which is now works basically makes the benefits of a Prime controller as a standalone mostly worthless to me. If I wanted to have to prepare all my music, stick it on a USB then plug that in to the controller I may as well have gone with the industry incumbent.

To try to be constructive, this is how I suggest it should work.

1. Any music added to a specific folder in Dropbox should be synced over the the local storage in the Go once network and power conditions allow.

2. Any music arriving on the player via Dropbox should be analysed once it’s detected, ideally that would happen automatically but failing that a button to manually trigger the analysis would be OK.

3. Once the music is analysed on the Go the meta data, wave-forms etc should be saved back to the Dropbox so that if you change device everything is ready to use just as you left it.

1 Like

I’ve just sold my beloved cdj3000’s, I’ve been using pioneer / rekordbox for over 15yrs and thought the integration to engine was straightforward… Unfortunately I can’t get engine dj to play ball and locally store my music files, because they are stored within my Dropbox on my laptop ( available offline though). every time I try and migrate my RB collection (and via Lexicon too) the files either display red (file missing) or with a dropbox logo which effectively means it can be streamed or previewed. Is this really the only way to play my files via streaming?

Gutted is not the word

1 Like