Does Engine DJ Prefer MP3 over AIF/FLAC?

Forgive me if this is a silly question but does EDJ prefer MP3 over other file formats? I’ve exported a track from Ableton live in 3 different formats - FLAC, AIF, MP3. Without fail, the MP3 is the only file that is read properly by Engine DJ where it aligns on the grid properly. It’s not a HUGE issue to go back and edit the starting position of the other files but why is this happening? I usually DL mile files from Bandcamp/Beatport as AIF and I guess, now that I think about it, I usually end up adjusting them in EDJ. Should I save myself the hassle and just download MP3s instead?

Wav format seems to align perfectly too.

Which prime and what version of firmware are you on?

Using 2.4.0 on EDJ and the latest on my SC6000s and 1850

I mainly play AIFF files (some of them also bought from Beatport), and it works smoothly here.

I haven’t noticed any differences in grid-analysis when importing MP3’s vs. AIFF.

To me it wouldn’t seem logical that it has a harder time analyzing files that has more data-points (if anything, it should be more precise), but I’m not basing this on anything other than gut-feeling.

I’d be surprised if it comes down to the format, but I’ll obviously let the team answer here :blush:

AIFF and wav is exactly the same regarding audio data anyway.

I haven’t noticed any differences at all using mixed collection of (streaming) AAC & MP3, and stationary FLAC, ALAC and AIFF files. Apart from the latter sounding better, especially on good Soundsystems.

1 Like