Does Engine 1.5.1 not support NTFS drives anymore?

Hello,

I really like the new update and had directly a session with a friend. I had to restart the player ones when I was connection a 8 TB exFAT drive over network but anything else went smoothly! :slight_smile:

I just couldn’t connect my NFTS had drives and got the message "not supported format. Before I could use the drives.

Can anyone explain please?

Thanks & Regards

NTFS was never supported

1 Like

I didn’t think “over network” ever worked as a source like NAS etc

Though in the old versions of them, the Prime manuals said it was supported for read-only on the players, the SC2900/3900 apparently support it, and Gemini supports it. Did Engine Prime itself ever support anything with NTFS? Not sure if I ever tried. The players really ought to have read-only support since ‘no source drive read-only’ is now possible with streaming, and on Engine Prime that could be for the purpose of building a searchable read-only database.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/ntfs-read-only-support-on-large-drives/

Engine Prime manual v1 says NTFS is supported read-only.

I think poddy means on Engine OS (on the hardware). [edit] The SC5000 manual still says NTFS read only is supported

Denon using similar names is bad enough, but when people are not specific it gets confusing.

MBR NTFS was read only compatible on early versions, but never fully supported

With full streaming support, probably the players need writable media for cache purposes.

When using tracks from a streaming service, the players use a writable drive to save playlist, history, and cue points long-term. But with no drive connected, the players go into a read-only mode with the message ‘Source Drive Not Connected’ or something like that, so that is proof that the players can function perfectly fine in a read-only state without needing to write anything to a drive… assuming one is cool with not having the aforementioned stuff saved long-term. In fact, Soundcloud is actually more reliable in this read-only mode, which is similar to the way the Gemini MDJs are more reliable with NTFS drives and analysis turned off. IMO, the reduced risk of a player mucking up a drive’s file table or database is a small price to pay for not saving new on-the-fly hot cues or playlists while DJing. I like to be able to use a drive later and have high confidence it’s going to perform as it did the last time I used it.

I just checked the SC6000 manual…

The English section says only FAT32 and exFAT, but the sections for other languages also say HFS+ and NTFS (read only).

Does that mean if you’re on tour with your SC6000s, NTFS will work in Spain but not in the UK? :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s probably just some copy-paste job from some versions of SC5000 manuals on the other languages. Apparently NTFS read-only works (or worked) on some small drives, but I know it definitely doesn’t on the players currently with big ones. If you want this support, then please go to my feature request and heart it. Definite lack of love on that feature request for something Gemini and, apparently, old Denon do. And as I said, it’s proven possible now.

Ah now see poddy is in Germany, and if the German section of the manual is different from the UK part…

The SC5000 manual still says HFS+ and NTFS in English too. I blame Denon. :man_shrugging:

I think we shoud report this to @Reese or @JWiLL?? Someone from Denon Dj should take a look in to this error in manual, or confirm that is not an error.

I have brought it to InMusic’s attention previously (Vince, I believe) and have a feature request on the lack of consistent NTFS read-only support on the players…

https://community.enginedj.com/t/ntfs-read-only-support-on-large-drives/

You might want to create an Engine Prime feature request for this, too.

I know that there will be some people who could work with read-only drives and therefore Read only files, at a gig.

However as I tend to add or change hot cues, loops, slide adjust the beatgrids on files, create playlists on the primes themselves while I’m at the gig, read only drives would be useless - as none of the above DJ prep work or played/history info would be saved

It would be saved if you do this work on a PC using an NTFS drive ahead of time, but the players themselves would not be able to save anything to an NTFS drive unless InMusic paid the licensing to Microsoft to write to the format.

As a repair guy , your repair guy logic makes sense and indeed I do make lots of preparation to files at home either a few days or weeks before a particular gig and of course I don’t delete that work after I’ve done that gig; I keep all those cue points and playlists etc as you never know when they’ll be useful in the future. .

But, as I said, I do lots of additions to files AT the gig. I can load up a track that’s been analysed, so it’s got bpm and grid, but no loops or hot cues and ill think “how can I get this track to mix into the request that the hirer/bride/birthday girl/venue owner has requested?”. Being multi-genre at almost all gigs, almost every mix between any two tracks is a “think on your feet” moment. That might mean quickly applying a loop on the current track to mix out of, and a loop on the incoming track to mix in from - not something which I’ll have been able to plan at home.

In some cases it’s as simple as, during a track that has packed the dance floor, you just add a long long loop or a impromptu hot cue so you can leap back to the beginning of the first chorus every time the beginning of the last chorus comes back round, so that you’re giving them more of what they’re lovin’

Maybe only the DJs and especially multi-genre DJs will relate to this, but whilst a 5 hour gig could be defined as “there’s only time to play 60 tracks, why not just prepare and take those 60 tracks?” the mobile/wedding/multi-genre/open format jocks will know that you’ll probably never know /which/ 60 tracks you’re playing that night, until you’ve played them.

And, we wouldn’t delete those impromptu and adhoc loops and cues from files that night, so read-only drives would be pointless for the reasons outlined

Ok, then just don’t personally use NTFS drives if/when InMusic eventually supports read-only on large NTFS drives. Having the capability is not pointless just because you’re not going to use it. I don’t pre-save my loops, but I wouldn’t call it a pointless or useless function.

Besides my own use of NTFS read-only so I don’t have to worry about the players screwing up my database or drive, I’ve had people show up at gigs I was putting on with thumb drives that were the wrong format and them take another hour on their laptop to try and resolve it. This would further reduce those incidents.

Glad I’ve clarified it for you now.

I just have a drive with multiple libraries from friends and everytime they come over and forgot their music, I connect the hard drive and we can start.

At least it has been like this.

Of course it doesn’t make sense for professionals who want to prepare their songs but for jam sessions and overall connectivity Engine OS should try to read NTFS drives again :slight_smile:

I have an other drive with exFAT, so I didn’t have a problem but it might be useful for windows users :wink: