Do you ever ‘lose a bit of faith’ in your DJ setup?

Totally get that, and I am with you. I don’t (could never) play foul language at any function I do (and I don’t do under 30’s and that type of club scene - not for me!). If anything, the radio edit version. The only time I might utter a foul word or two is behind the steering wheel (and by myself!).

1 Like

I must admit as someone who plays a lot of hip hop it does get on my nerves that some tracks aren’t available in none explicit versions, I dont mind if its after 9pm in a bar/weekend venue but any day events I basically have to exclude a good portion of my library for tracks I like playing.

I mean she isn’t ‘that bad’ compared to a lot of artists (Rihanna for example I just cant understand the appeal whatsoever), I just wish a lot of other artists over the years had been given the chance to enjoy the same success she has.

You’re absolutely right about the popularity of her music though, definitely gets a reaction.

I stopped DJing at home a long time ago. When you get the taste of entertaining people, there is just no fun in it when there are no people :wink:

And on the skills side, it is actually just pressing play. Playing a guitar or piano at home makes a lot more sense and gives a lot more satisfaction…

I DJ in front of people several times a month, and have done for over 20 years, but i still prefer DJing at home as there are no limits, so completely disagree with you there.

Tell me, if i ‘just press play’ on those things with the round pieces of plastic on them below, what does the mix sound like?

I guess if you use Sync to mix, then it is boring, not sure, never used it.

1 Like

Totally agree on this one.

That why, two of my friends and I, created a “weekly” (its not every weekend, but who cares :smiley: ). So we meet up and show/try some new tunes, get creative with transitions (even if they do not end as anticipated but its good practice) and just have some fun at home. While i cant motivated myself to play fully alone, these home sets are way better than most nights spent in any club. Furthermore, we build some small party place in the attic with DMX lights for soundswitch. Even some basic lighting added, creates a whole lot of vibe to keep going and adds some additional motivation. Overall hom esets are on the fun site and creativity wise, one of my favorite “gigs”.

Some impressions of the lightning thing :blush:

Even then, DJing is relatively easy…

Yet so many can’t do it.

At this point you’re just trolling so im gonna hit that mute button and just ignore you, you aren’t offering anything of use to the thread.

1 Like

Totally agree with you STU, Lucy Pearls album was way better than anything Destinys Child brought out. Being an old git I was brought up on 70s and 80s soul and funk and old school Hip Hop and now love funky house. I have never been into Destinys Child or Beyonce. I’ve managed to get 16 year old daughter into Earth, Wind & Fire, Stevie, Luther and Kool and the gang. Not many 16 year olds are playing ‘Open Sesame’ and ‘Get down on it’ these days. As for being bothered to DJ indoors, I download loads from Beatport and I also get stuff from DJ Groove (Youtube) but end up just messing about on the laptop with headphones on as cant be bothered to get the mixstream pro out of its case.

1 Like

Ah that’s awesome Jay… 100% she will end up being a proper music head with that kind of guidance.

DJ XS has done an open sesame edit that’s about 9 mins long, it’s on his bandcamp page FVUK. It mixes into house quite well and is great, I play it out quite a bit.

I mess about on the lappy a bit sometimes too, but I do like to plug the Mixtrack pro into my Bluetooth speaker and have a jam on the dining table (sometimes when I’m meant to be working haha)

1 Like

I’m not trolling, call it what you want.

I used to be agitated too, when musicians said I just press play. Now I do play an instrument (guitar and piano) and have to admit, as a DJ, I am just pressing play, even on vinyl. You can teach a monkey to beatmatch. The added value of a DJ is choosing the right tracks at the right moment, something which a live musician with a rehearsed setlist can’t. So, if you ask me if it’s normal to loose your appetite for playing at home: yes that’s normal, DJing is a thing you do for an audience. If you want a skill which you can enjoy at home, buy a piano, not a DJ booth… or go producing…

Anyway, that’s how I feel, and it was exactly the reason why I picked up the guitar. If that’s trolling to you, fine…

Just had to chime in with a last comment before closure. I am always motivated to play at home, everyday, always have and always will. It’s just a way of life for me. The missus and kids have the front room, Tv and rest of the house; I have my music room. When the missus complains, I remind her how she met me, doing my thing round the decks back in the early 90’s, and the music keeps me fresh and reminds her who she swooned all over back then.

On one side of the room I have my Prime 4, on the other the XDJ ZX; which I play depends on the mood or, more often the type of gig I’m doing over the weekend- party or club. I have to admit, if it’s club, then the pioneer comes out, especially when I’m twinning with my brother who is a real deck freak and a pioneer head. Parties, which is my main stay, always sees the P4. I’m also a child of the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s. Started on a Garrard deck ;before moving to the original technics 1210’s, and tensai amp with Wharfedale speakers in the late 70’s in the 5th form at school doing 16th birthday parties, to building my own subs and tops, and my mate putting together the valve amps. Been there and done most of it (Reggae and Soul scene in it’s hey day, carnival under the A40 in West London ). Have all the popular tunes on vinyl (12 and 7 inch. To wrap up, I can never lose faith, its in the DNA, and still going strong.

2 Likes

TheECLECTIBLES Live! Vinyl Only by TheECLECTIBLES | Mixcloud

What like this? Id say people should really think before making derogatory comments about a skill.

DJ MikeyJ did you listen to Rodigan on a Saturday night on Capital radio? Great days. I had two Technics 1210’s too, wish I had never sold them. Wish I hadn’t sold all of my vinyl but you live and learn.

1 Like

STU thanks for the heads up on that DJ XS remix, downloaded it and its on my phone ready to play on my journey to work. Have a good day

1 Like

Dude, you are really missing the point…. I don’t really get why you get upset by my opinion?

As you found out, It’s not that I don’t known what DJing is, or when I say beatmatching isn’t that difficult…

You too Jay :+1:t3:

I’ve got about 30 of his edits in my collection ready to use at gigs, they are easy mixers and generally a great track so fit in well for the bar scene I work in.

Nice to speak to a fellow music lover with similar tastes :raised_hands:

1 Like

I get upset because you’re essentially dumping on the whole industry of DJs who have taken time and effort to learn a skill, by making derogatory comments like ‘you could train a monkey to beat match’

I then move on to believing you’re some kind of pinnacle in this craft given your opinions, only to find that you’re far from it. So essentially you’re claiming that a monkey could be trained to do something you yourself aren’t able to do.

Anyway, I’m not responding to you again after this, it’s clear you’re a troll who can’t practise what he preaches. Enjoy spamming the void.

1 Like

There is a line between trolling and self criticism. That monkey quote btw is not from me, but came from a few respected names from the Belgian 90s dance scene (back in the day you met all kinds of people in the record shops…). Me and the people I got the quote from are just posing questions with their own popularity. And that’s totally OK, to ask questions about what you are doing. It’s a filosofical thing.

Anyway I did not mean to dump on anyone, I merely stated that the value of a DJ is in crowd entertainment, not in technical skills. Therefore, I personally get no joy out of playing in my living room. So no, it’s not a big deal if you don’t feel like playing at home, there are tons of other people feeling just the same.

If you want to make a big deal out of being able to beatmatch, and being offended by the above monkey statement that’s up to you, but that is not what DJing is about.

And feel free to criticise me about my skillset… But I did not get personal in all the above. Who is trolling who now?

Oh im not criticising you at all, some of my favourite DJs dont mix, they just select music and play it, and they happen to be very very good.

What im criticising is your use of wording to describe a skill that isnt as easy as you are implying, it doesnt matter who used the phrase first… describing something as ‘you could train a monkey to do it’ is an insult to those who have taken time to learn and perfect the skill.

I couldn’t care less how good or bad your own DJing is, it has no impact on my view of you as a DJ, but when you start coining phrases like that, you should then be open to scrutiny.

Using a car analogy this is like saying:

‘you could train a monkey to drive a car, being a racing driver is much more fulfilling’ ‘do you drive?’ ‘dude this isnt about me’