DN-X1100 Phono Socket Plugs

Hi,

The six phono socket plugs that I believe are plugged into the DN-X1100 phono sockets 1, 2 and 3 out of the box, I checked them for continuity and they are straight shorts. The owner’s manual shows them (top down) plugged into the mixer, but does not mention them at all. What do they do - short the phono input to ground to reduce noise, for example?

When not using the sockets for turntables must these plugs always be plugged in? If you lose them must they be replaced? Lastly, if four of them were plugged into the Master Out and Rec Out for long periods of time while the mixer was on and at high volumes could they damage the aforementioned outputs?

Thanks

Phono inputs can be shorted to reduce noise if not in use. But never short the outputs of your mixer. This can damage the mixer. Espacially when they are turned to full volume.

Thanks for your reply.

So I take it the plugs are not essential while the mixer is operating, other than to reduce noise if needed. It does not help that Denon did not explain the purpose of these plugs in the owner’s manual.

I thought that regarding using the phono plugs on the master and record outs but found someone has done exactly that on my mixer. Perhaps it’s unrelated to a fault I have found, however, as the there is output on the master out but only on channel 2, which works only sometimes by rotating the channel assignment rotary switch around. All the rest of the mixer inputs are dead in all assignment positions. Do you know if this happens to be a common fault with the DN-X1100? Are there common faults with the DN-X1100 like there appear to be with the 1800, or so it would appear from some posts on here?

Thanks

yep, it´s just a precaution. So when you notice noise or crackling sound, you can plug them. But it is not a must. See it like an open phono input is like an antenna. It can receive some noise from air, and that you could hear. But on my Prime 4 there are also no plugs on phone. But it is also setted to line. So if you would be save, you can set the unused phono inputs to line, so they aren´t such sensible for noise.

There you have only one channel working is more a problem. It is not a common fail, only when you missused the inputs. Think like this: When you have turned the input to phono mode, it is much more sensible. A phono input takes amount 2mV to work, a normal line input works with 300mV

So you can see if you put in line signal you overdrive the internal preamplifier by over 100 times. And this will kill the internal chip. I think you have to bring your mixer to an authorized repair center.

Just check all switches twice - also check the input leads, you use. And if you see all switches are set to the normal working position, and you can´t get the input working - you can be sure it´s broken.

And it is never a common fail, it is mostly caused by an user.

1 Like

Sensitive, not sensible :+1:

2 Likes

xD … thanks for correcting me :wink:

But german is my main language. So in german it makes sense … the two words, (sensitive) and (sensible) are meaning the same.

ahhhh … okay … in english language sensible means the same like meaningful. got it.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.