DJ Survey results

So I thought I would share with our community some of the results from the DJ Global DJ Census, I was not the winner of any of the products even though I prayed for the new Prime 4, enjoy Will

It just shows that there’s a lot of ambiguity out there. Numark is high on the lists because of its price point, I suspect.

The first graph of “I don’t own any other brand” can have a lot of possibles read into it too… a startup sheep who’s wandered onto a DJ store webpage and just bought anything beginning with “P” and hasn’t owned anything else to go with it…. Some will consider their Sony headphones to qualify as “other brands” , some won’t.

Like the previous DJ tips surveys, a big pinch (lorry) of salt is required. And that’s even assuming that Pie-on-ear didn’t flood the results with half the alpha-theta workforce logging in to vote “in a particular way” which has been known to be the case in DJ Mag “Reader polls” for hardware in the past

1 Like

I was hopeful for a better break down on the streaming questions, as a streamer I use four different platforms at the same time, only two were referred too during the survey, I might now place the remaining parts of the survey for others to read.

1 Like

https://www.digitaldjtips.com/?ddownload=2784919

I’m really surprised FB is a choice for people to stream on. Monetization is non existent and their DMCA strikes are worse than YT. At least Twitch IDGAF about DJ copyright strikes (or even DJ streams at all) since they bought the worst audio algorithm on the market just to appease the DMCA.

1 Like

I left Facebook seven years ago, it’s the single most important decision of my adult life, the things I wouldn’t have done due to wasting time and my life wondering what others are up too was a time steeler.

5 Likes

5 for me, don’t miss it a single bit. I use Instagram as I’ve found the experience much more positive and I can just see photographers and DJs posting stuff I like.

1 Like

Hi Will, I left FB over 10 years ago as I got sick to death of photos of peoples dinner, drinks, kids and knowing they were at the gym

2 Likes

At least Tiktok is not as popular as I feared thought. I posted some video snippets there too, but more because everyone recommends it. Just got a few clicks and the overall GUI is garbage. As the app versions collect data like stupid, I have just used my desktop web browser. Otherwise, I ignore this weird “trend” of memes, challenges, etc. and don’t miss anything.

The market dominance of AT is still strong, but Denon, Numark, Rane (& Akai) combined aren’t doing bad. I wonder how high their share was like around 2015. I checked some of their older surveys (2014, 2018, 2019) but they didn’t list brands then, just software. You can see how quickly Rekordbox climbed up and Traktor pretty much crashed.

2 Likes

:joy: love it :heart_eyes: I will be eight years come May, it was a time steeler, the people who add you are nothing more than noisy MF you did not like in the first place :joy: stay strong and show the world you don’t need social media intrusive platforms to live and enjoy life, I also understand the people who need it for business and growth. If like me you just like to DJ as a hobby on a few streaming services then those who live music will ding you.

1 Like

I created my Insta after removing Facebook, and I made sure there was no dodgy school people and anyone else, its purely a photography and DJ/Music feed, with a bit of woodworking channels… that way I can avoid all the nonsense and just like content.

2 Likes

I log into my FB about once every year. Last time was the summer.

I can’t stand it. Insta all the way for me.

2 Likes

Know what you mean about the dodgy school people, if you didn’t like them at school why would you like them now.

1 Like

So, to return to the subject of this post, what’s interesting about this survey is that it tells us that Denon Dj (not InMusic, because I’m not counting Numark and Rane) only has around 12 to 13% of the DJ market at most.

1 Like

It doesn’t. It’s a survey among Digital DJ Tips readers.

You know, a site catering mostly to… “people who need tips on what to buy and how to use their gear”…that, what a shock… mostly use controller and laptop…

1 Like

It’s pretty much inMusic’s documented response in regards to the Alpha Theta challenge. Two of the biggest players in DJ software combining together with a massive margin when the next place down is at around 15% is why the challenge is important for inMusic and the wider DJ community.

2 Likes

It’s going to be a long, hard road ahead.

Denon Dj would have to be the first to integrate a radically game-changing function directly into the hardware, such as high-quality stem separation, for a significant proportion of DJs to switch from pioneer to Denon and for the market share to increase rapidly.

1 Like

Even if this survey reflects the typical profile of a community, that of Digital DJ tips, I think it still gives good indications of what are more or less the underlying trends and the state of the industry at the moment. I doubt that Denon Dj currently holds more than 15% of the market share for all categories of equipment combined.

In certain specific equipment categories, such as the all-in-one standalone market, I think the market share must be higher, perhaps even almost at equilibrium with Pioneer.

But the controller market is virtually non-existent now in the Denon range, and in the media player segment Pioneer still reigns supreme, even though their CDJs aren’t technologically more advanced.

The survey also reveals that reliability/durability is the number 1 choice criterion for most DJs, ahead of functionality. That’s why Pioneer is still the leader.

We’re not going to lie but the overall reliability on certain Denon DJ products does not really contribute to the reputation of the brand… Between the difficulty of finding spare parts, the grease problems on the Sc5000M, the problems of error 04.04 motor update on the 6000M which renders the unit completely out of service, the buttons which sink into the prime 4, Oled screens which fails overnight and the fader which bleeds on the x1850… not a week goes by without me seeing posts on the networks… To the point that I have gotten to the point of advising my best friend not to buy an x1850… and yet I am a fan of Denon products DJ

1 Like

They might not have to increase market share to be a viable business model though, it could be their current status and standing are enough for them to carry on as is, as an alternative option to the market leader.

1 Like

I would take the list with a grain of salt - I doubt the amount of “controller with a laptop” percentage is anywhere near the one listed in the poll.

1 Like