Different BPM/TEMPO analysis in serato to standalone controller

hiya all so i recently started practicing to mix just using the standalone controller as ive transferred all my music to a usb drive, but im having bpm issues where same the song has different bpms, for example the song has a bpm of 88 in serato yet 172 when just using the dj controller, which is really annoying as i was hoping to get away from using a laptop or pc being connected, is there a way to correct this or to workaround this?

cheers

Which do you feel is correct?

Also if it’s d&b then you can more or less forget any two systems both identifying the same bpm on the same song, that’s just on of those d&b things

Hi, you need to ensure you’re using the right tempo range when analysing the track, make sure the range is set so it will pick the track up at the right BPM. 88 x 2 = 176 so its not a million miles out.

You may also need to adjust the grid post analysis to lock it in to the beat (depending on the track).

i am using D&b tracks, but the tempos are correct depending on the hardware to software im using, as for example i use the djay app on adnroid, this allows me to view the bpm at 2 digits ie 86 or i can double this to ‘run’ at 172 bpm but the song will play at the same speed as it should, so i want to say the problem is with me and finding the correct settings, as serato doesnt give me anything over 100 bpm, but standalone controller will but if its down to being dnb then im at a lost lol

Have a look at this Serato article for how to prepare for analysis… you can set a BPM range which goes above 180bpm to analyse DnB tracks. The same applies in Engine Desktop/OS.

Preparing and Analyzing Your Files – Serato Support

so in theory (just using the decks not connected to pc) if my left deck would read 86bpm for 1 song and the deck on the right can be seen as 172bpm for the track im mixing, the actual playback speed should be the same then and the songs shouldnt ‘drift apart’? only as if im bringing a song down from 172bpm to 86 to match the tempos it does sound horrendous as its playing wayyy to slow, i was trying this out late last night so will try again later afterwork today and play with more settings

Yeah 100%, and you can even beat match 2 tracks together when one is genuinely half speed of the other, e.g. mixing from an RnB track to a DnB.

If you’re using any kind of automix function like sync then obviously it’ll confuse the system to have different tempo’s, but manual mixing you’ll find 2 lined up tracks will play with BPMs at exactly double the value of the slower track.

If you are using sync then you need to get your analysis right so all the tracks are within the same range however, will make it much easier.

I think there is a general misunderstanding in your preparation.

Just copying music to your thumb drive is not the correct way.

You can import your Serato library into Engine DJ analyze it there and then do an export to your thumb drive. It is important to set the BPM range before starting analysis. This can be the initial reason, why it is not the same as in Serato.

Anyhow there is always a difference in analysis algorithms between the different software solutions. And it is nearly always necessary to rework the beat grids afterwards, if you want to relay e.g. on sync function.

@sinplicity Best advice is to not pay too much attention to the BPM readout.

Use your ears to determine the tempo of the track. Whilst one track is playing, listen to the next track in your headphones. If there’s a huge tempo difference then it should be obvious.

My advice would be to use a narrow pitch range (i.e. 6%) and stick to small adjustments. Drastically changing the tempo, as you noticed, affects the sound.

Maybe someone should request a drum n bass pitch range adjustment of +/- 0.05 % lol

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.