Denon just don't get It - Quality of features

Fascinating how couple of fanboys are smart here around, this community has little to no value to product.

There is no way this junk of SW will get any better with this denial. I would be happy if would be possible to not post here to report technical issues.

Your lack of standard doesn’t magically fix issues, if you are blind to issues just keep It yourself

“this community has little to no value to product.”

Are you sure about that?

And do pray tell, what is your groundbreaking contribution to the product? all I see is mindless ranting that offers nothing of real value.

The fundamental issue here is that you’re blind to progress. You’ve jumped onto the Prime ship years, literally years, after it’s introduction and haven’t familiarised yourself with just how much development, fixes, patches and beta testing has previously been put into the Prime ecosystem at all levels during the time period which you’re blissfully unaware of.

Your comments, while generally difficult to follow due to its disjointed sentence structure, is further littered with parts which simply don’t make sense, such as:

New version numbers are issued when things are done… if 3.1 had nothing done to it, the next version would be called 3.1 also, rather than 3.2 - that’s how versions are done.

You’ve just hopped on at the last minute and stamped your foot, oblivious to the shear amount of work which has benefited and spread with stunning levels of conviction already displayed by inMusic.

I owned most of denon legacy products, and 90% of prime line-up, I would say I got a pretty good idea what Denon was and where is now.

There is a bit different way of thinking, let me explain… I bought players not sampler, not effector, not anything else what is lately added, I NEED platter to work, clean vinyl emulation, stable database and basics covered.

I own now equipment that I bought with belief It will mature with time, instead I have hardware that is hosting function I realy don’t care about.

I can’t wait for P4+ disapotiment to get out, stems on stand alone are joke and useless in professional setup, this little rock chip processor inside will poop out worst stems. Anyone who was really in stems mixing has mastered this with premade tracks years or decades ago, on the fly stem separation caters only to amateur audience. Instead of working on reliability of software and promises that this will be a stable platform, we are getting half done gimmicks. Who cares for stems if search time is 30+ seconds?

Done is to complete task not to leave same issues propagate through versions, or?

Thank you for you compliments on my English… I’ll practise some more, keep on having fun.

2 Likes

Don’t be so hard on yourself

You really really need to search topics here on the forum first, before posting incorrect information and also information which is out of date. You’re commenting on models that you don’t own, trying to falsely create the impression that you have a vested interest.

Rather than being bestowed with actual information and facts, you’re posting only using your wits, therefore only half equipped to discuss.

• SC-5000
  • X1800
  • X1850
  • SC-6000
  • SC live 2
  • Sc live 4
  • LC-6000
  • Prime go
  • Prime 2
  • Prime 4
  • Prime 4+

90% means you’ve owned at least 9 of those 11 products, which ones are they? And if they are so bad it enrages you to this extent, why do you keep spending money on them? Surely you’d have learnt your lesson way back.

5 Likes

Stu , as always, your logic is impeccable.

I’m not entirely sure that Mr/Miss OP is in the learning zone on this point however.

1 Like

Software doesn’t work like you think it does. Many things are interconnected and its easy to have unintended consequences by adding features.

Why add features? Because it increases the value of the devices, the community and ultimately the company.

If you don’t want these features, you’re welcome to downgrade to more stable versions. No one is forcing you to upgrade them.

4 Likes

This should be some kind of DJ/Computing life quote right here liquid. We’ve never had it so good with Firmware and our ability to control which versions our devices sit on, most companies have back catalogues for us to freely download… I’ve got computers running on old OS, android devices at work that I manage that are on old versions of Android, DJ gear on older firmware etc.

2 Likes

In a way I get you. Hardware failures whilst performing in public are a nightmare, so rock solid gear is an unquestionable demand. Still as a young and sometimes intoxicated dj the sometimes man made crash did not hurt my performance so bad, too. Actually it was even fun … Anyways, maybe it wouldn’t hurt, if you‘d specify your troubles, so they can be addressed by the devs.

3 Likes

Cheers @STU-C :beers:.

I started drafting a long response on how with Engine (it seems to me) that Denon is a software company, and blah blah blah, innovation is required, and erased it all because I ultimately realized it wasn’t worth continued effort.

Still neat to be a part of this community (and discussion), just realized that the OP likely isn’t interested or ready to see things that way.

2 Likes

Yeah man, I think your comments would be ultimately lost on the ‘garbage company, joke products’ crowd.

If people were just less vague, more engaging with their comments and more descriptive of their issues they’d get much more positive feedback. Funny how anyone being positive about anything is a de-facto fanboy, when most of us can complain about things with the best of them, we just choose not to do it by mud slinging.

5 Likes

Whilst there are some issues (search times are a personal gripe of mine) as others have said the value of the products are increased by the updates that are free I might add, those who own sc5000s/m’s are likely benefiting the most as they continue to get updates on gear that is a good few years old if you owned cdj 2000 nexus 2’s I doubt there will be any new support and certainly nothing close to what Engine is. It is one thing to be frustrated but one needs to separate fact and opinion stems on standalone is a big deal by virtue of several companies having invested in developing the software. Denon/Engine being in the standalone market have simply applied this to their gear (are in the process of). It is a surprise Pioneer did not seek to do this first with the Opus Quad.

I am not a tech guy there are others on here with a better understanding of how the software/firmware works however I don’t understand when you say there are features you don’t use, sounds like you just want two vinyls and a mixer or just use a basic controller with serato lite. None of the Denon Gear is cheap so by virtue of that the expectation is it comes packed with features Denon/Engine takes it a step further by providing updates as previously stated. Is it perfect no but the alternative is spending the better part of a grand and not being able to do more than what you could from the day you purchased it, again that falls into vinyl/controller territory which Denon is not focused on.

2 Likes

Listen @Comitex, I am not a fan of the tricky combination weak’ish Rockchip + standalone Stems myself, imho too many resources could get burned for that and too many years pass to reach a level which VDJ and Serato currently hold (and they aren’t perfect either). I would have focused on major requests like better browse/library screens or more refined smart playlists first, but I can understand InMusic from a marketing/competition standpoint, why they went with Stems instead. I will skip this feature for now and move on, so no problem.

However, ignoring the massive leaps Engine DJ did since 2017 and stating the company sees no value in our community is downright mind-baffling and just silly. Actually, 2.0 was the main reason for me to jump onto the train and opened a whole new hybrid audio/visual opportunity for me. So InMusic gained at least one additional customer thanks to a software-based feature update. Something close to impossible on the Pioneer side. I’m sure that things like the Sampler, Ableton Link and now the Day Mode can achieve similar effects.

There really isn’t much left which I miss. Stability is 95% fine for me, no major crashes, more like smaller hiccups and the occasional weird mini-glitch (like the LED bootup issue on the Live units). As long they work on that, I am all fine. What I would like to see is a more open communication, and more detailed changelogs.

5 Likes

I’m going out on a limb here.

Regardless of how many products @Comitex has owned, he makes a valid point regarding some basic features which are ‘now’ not working as they once were, and whilst we should embrace new features such as samples and effects this ‘should not’ be at the cost of other features not working as they should or once were, and yes, products need to evolve and add new features, something that we are currently being spoiled with.

There are a plethora of feature requests which i believe are far more important than some of the new features that have been implemented, and that’s not just my opinion.

HANDS UP ANYONE THAT WANT’S TO RATE TRACKS ON THE HARDWARE!

To this day, if this was my dying breath i still ‘CANNOT’ believe that this is not implemented, especially when other development teams are embracing quality of life updates!

People that have invested in the hardware, that actually take the time to post on the forum, that vent frustrations, that get pi$$ed off when things don’t work need to be allowed to voice an opinion, granted, there may be a lot to desire in the translation/frustration of the posts that some people post, but a lot of it is relevant when you dig through the top layer.

Sorry, guess i’m tired and frustrated, but I’ll leave you with this.

Other than what, a handful of posts to the forum, when was the last time that @philmorse ‘rock the dancefloor’ - ‘buy my book’ or @DJHolland posted to the forum to voice opinion or just chime in on developments - these guys only care about their YT channel [and book] and that is the only reason that they posted here, that guy :point_up:t3: actually bought into the hardware!

6 Likes

I think most people just want the content to remain constructive Revan…. Not having on device star ratings and referring to the whole ecosystem as ‘junk’ are not comparable in my opinion.

1 Like

I can’t speak for Holland but I assure you I keep an eye on what’s said on here, not my place to voice opinions here though. :innocent:

6 Likes

Not everybody can remain objective when they are frustrated.

I can follow the OP that we see too many new “extra” features while we see too few quality of life features. The last few updates didn’t knock me off my socks either. of course, things like stems look cool, but when you are playing for example an improvised allnighter set in front of 1000 people, are you really going to use them, or are you going to play regular tracks? I know very few DJs who have both the required technical skills and music finding skills combined, let alone run the lighting rig on top of that :wink:

If I had to choose between in-device star ratings or stems, I would definitely choose star ratings and never look back!

5 Likes

Haha I won’t disagree with any of it as I would too (and one of my votes is attached to that particular request)…. I do feel that popping up here every few months, usually after a release just to throw insults around isn’t right though, and could be seen as nothing more than trolling. None of these people ever engage with the community aspects of the forum, never chat about music or DJ culture etc, they literally just come here to complain, at which point I just find it nonsensical.

I would say 50% of issues people raise are probably warranted but the other 50% are usually user errors.

Every piece of technology on the planet can have issues but the fact that I invested once in the prime 4 three years ago when the price was around £1400 and I’m still getting new functionality today with no additional cost is amazing. True 4 channel standalone unit…come on man…that’s insane. Now if you’d rather keep investing with brands that make you buy a new unit anytime something new is implemented then go for it.

Comments like I want a player and not a sampler or an effects engine well you can’t win then can you because you also have the other side where people want more for their buck. Just go back and read past posts…want a sampler, want touch fx, fx need improving, improvement on gridding etc and all of these have been added or updated.

I’ve always found that any bug that actually affects your performance gets fixed. (I’m speaking purely on my experience)

If you want to moan about things like rating tracks and whatever I’m sorry but I’d rather have some new performance functionality. If I bought a car without a sunroof knowingly I can’t then 6 months later start moaning that I don’t have sunroof and start having a pop at the dealer. If things like rating tracks is that important then surely you’d pick a unit that had this to begin with and not assume that you’ll naturally get this one day.

But that’s me and I understand we all have our own preferences but the argument needs to be balanced. No company can tailor a unit specifically for one person’s needs and wants. There’s a few features I don’t use but they are there and I know other DJs will benefit from them.

And for what it’s worth I’ve always researched what I buy before investing and one of the places I do go frequently is @philmorse YT channel. Always honest, will tell you the cons as well as the pros.

Research and know what you’re buying.

There’s intense beta testing before every release and like any software update or patch, issues can occur where something gets broken in the process but it does get flagged and fixes are done.

That’s software!!! How many times do you play a video game and a new update comes along and the game glitches? It happens!

No negativity intended to anyone on this thread, just my personal view which I appreciate is subjective.

2 Likes