Deck 2/4 freeze

Post en français plus bas

Hello everyone,

I know others have already encountered this problem but I don’t see any solutions on the forum.

I have deck 2/4 which is malfunctioning.

The music stops and starts again without explanation, whether playing music on the SSD or playing streaming music on TIDAL. This problem does not occur every evening but increases from evening to evening.

I have had this problem since last summer when I blamed it on the temperature but now the problem also occurs in my home and the temperature is not excessive.

I uploaded a video here Dropbox - Prime4.mp4 - Simplify your life

I’m worried because it’s very complicated to manage in the evening since I only have deck 1/3 that works. Any ideas are welcome to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Bonjour à tous,

Je sais que d’autres ont déjà rencontré ce problème mais je ne vois pas de solutions sur le forum.

J’ai le deck 2/4 qui dysfonctionne.

La musique s’arrête et reprend sans explication et que ce soit à la lecture d’une musique sur le SSD comme la lecture d’une musique en streaming sur TIDAL. Ce problème n’intervient pas à toutes les soirées mais s’accentue de soirée en soirée.

J’ai ce problème depuis l’été dernier où j’avais mis ça sur le compte de la température mais maintenant, le problème se produit aussi chez moi et la température n’est pas excessive.

J’ai mis en ligne une vidéo ici : Dropbox - Prime4.mp4 - Simplify your life

Je suis inquiet car c’est très compliqué à gérer en soirée vu que je n’ai plus que le deck 1/3 qui fonctionne. Toutes les idées sont les bienvenues pour résoudre ce problème.

Merci à vous.

You could try pressing the “VINYL” button so that if you put your hand on the jog wheel you don’t stop playback. This way we can check if it is a problem due to the capacitive touch of the jog wheel. If you still get your problem with vinyl mode turned off, then the fault is not in the jog wheel.

Good idea, I’ll try and let you know

1 Like

Hi, It took me a little time to reproduce the malfunction.

Yesterday, when I turned on the Prime 4, deck two immediately started flashing blue and white (see the video Dropbox - Prime4_video2.mp4 - Simplify your life).

I loaded a title and as you can see in the second video (Dropbox - Prime4_video3.mp4 - Simplify your life), it was not playing but the vinyl scratch worked.

I listened to @DjAj’s advice but I didn’t want to reboot the Prime 4. I launched a playlist which switched from deck 2 to deck 4, playback played normally, I returned to deck 2, turned off vinyl mode, loaded a new title, and there, playback started. done correctly on deck 2.

1 Like

What’s strange is that if you turn off “vinyl” you shouldn’t be able to scratch on the jog. It seems that even if you turn off vinyl it continues to be in that mode. Or to turn off the vinyl mode the sensor on the jog must NOT detect the presence of your hand above it. But since the jog was white, it means that it detected the presence of the hand, even if in reality the hand was not there.

Typically this defect happens in small pulses but not in this continuous manner.

You should try to always keep vinyl mode off, but you need to do this when your jog is not white.

You can still scratch the platter when the track is paused, even when vinyl mode is off. It’s only when it’s playing it doesn’t work.

When deck 2/4 malfunctions, indeed in vinyl mode, the jog wheel still works

I think I could scratch with the jog because the bug was present. If I start the Prime 4 without vinyl mode activated, when I move the jog, I just have an acceleration or deceleration of the bpm but no scratching sound.

I will always leave vinyl mode disabled, I will let you know if I encounter a malfunction again. I can be quiet for a week while I try.

1 Like

Hi. Managed to reproduce the symptoms by simply continuously having my hand on the platter, so I think the fault with yours is likely that it continuously senses capacitance. If you are up for opening up the unit and you have basic experience with electronics, I could help you further troubleshoot the problem until we can put the needle on the cause, but if you’d rather avoid it, as far as I tested it, it seems if you disable vinyl mode and hit play, wait until it starts playing. After that, don’t enable vinyl again and it will work normally. For some reason it doesn’t want to start playing if it is stopped and had the vinyl on since last stop. Hope this is any help…

2 Likes

Hi, Yes I agree with you, if I deactivate the vinyl mode, I no longer have problems and there is “a false contact” in the platter. I prefer not to disassemble the Prime 4 for the moment but I welcome any advice, photos or videos that I will keep carefully for the day when I have time to repair the platter.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.