Decided to try again - Mixstream Pro purchase

Having originally purchased the Mixstream Pro as soon as it came out towards the end of last year, I knew what to expect.

There are things I really like about this unit. Jog wheels, no laptop, portable (with powerbank), speakers.

There are things that frustrate me. FX are pretty much useless for a serious user, too loud with zero control, but in all honesty 98% of my mixes are EQ and Filter, so not really missing much. Crossfader could do with a bypass, but widening the curve and taping it in the middle is a workaround.

So why? Well, I still stand by the fact there Is nothing that can offer what this does for the price. I donā€™t have a room for my music anymore, one day to the next I will mix in a different room. To get a laptop, controller, speakers and wire it all up for a 30 minute mix to then put it all away, quite often deters me from doing it at all. The mixstream pro really works from a convenience perspective, it is pretty instant, and as a 90s vinyl DJ, it does all that I need it to do.

Looking forward to give it a good run out over the Easter weekend.

2 Likes

I feel ya. I moved months ago into a new apartment and itā€™s a challenge to set everything up if you donā€™t have a designated space/room. Expensive ā€œprofessionalā€ gear is of no use if you donā€™t use it, simple as that.

Lack of advanced FX controls I would say is a advantage for this unit. There is a reason beginners first need to focus on core DJ skills and this fits perfectly in that role (or as a backup unit).

1 Like

I bought it for backup! because one night they spilled a cocktail in the prime 4! so I send the denon to assistance and having the need for an alternative console even if I have a ddj sx2 with serato I preferred to buy the numark! and I fell in love with her!

1 Like

It certainly wonā€™t be for everyone, but I suppose every standalone/controller has a compromise in some way, whether that be size, weight, functions, cost. Itā€™s taken me a little time to realise that having purchased my first controller (Hercules) in 2020 having not DJed for 25+ years.

I hope they do manage to find some time to improve/add little things over time.

I thought I would give my initially thoughts on re-visiting the mixstream pro, the first word that comes to mind is ā€˜funā€™.

I canā€™t recall the last time I mixed and got right into mixing again, enjoying the tracks, having fun and a couple of times almost imagining I was back in front of a crowd again.

It felt great :+1:. I donā€™t think anything felt any different on the unit and mixing wise, quite often I left the filter alone, just using EQ and utilising the Autoloop function.

I had completely forgotten that a double press on each pad got you too the other 4 pads for each selection. Itā€™s easy to look and think ā€˜Iā€™ve only got 4 hotcuesā€™, but you do have 8, the loops go from 32 beats to 1/4?, the rolls I did mess around with, but not my usual thing.

As much as I like the DDJ400 it will be moving on for a final time. The platters on the MP are much nicer in feel/weight, and thatā€™s before I get on to the benefits of standalone/speakers.

Loading a new group of songs into the collection created a playlist for these songs. I donā€™t remember that happening before, but it is welcome none the less.

If I were to seriously upgrade from the Mixstream Pro in the future, it would be for a club style layout. Do I need it, not at all, will I do it? Probably not, but itā€™s all I have known in 25yrs. My first pair of turntables were Technics SL1200 Mk2s, for a club dj it was the norm, the standard. If I really wanted to or needed to use a club setup again then I would.

However, in my current stage of life and with no desire or need to play out and purely wanting to enjoy the music and mixing, this is more than good enough. I wonā€™t hesitate to re-emphasise that this can be run from a power bank. My omnicharge in dc mode lasts for hours and this includes using the speakers. I would happily use this In a park for 4+ hours without any concern.

I think it is fair to say that sometimes you need to re-visit something twice to either confirm first thoughts or change them.

The Mixtream Pro is good, really good!!!

3 Likes

MixStream Pro owner here too. Love it. wish it could have more effect options tho.

1 Like

Interestingly - Iā€™d like to know what people are using for powerbanks?

Iā€™m currently using a 700VA UPS - itā€™s gives me about 5 hours of run time. heavy at 5KG but battery lasts forever. If thereā€™s something lighter iā€™d like to know :slight_smile: for the sake of my back and armsā€¦ lol

I am using a omnicharge 20. 20000mah. I havenā€™t done a marathon session but think it would last a good 4 hrs. I guess WiFi and screen brightness may impact this.

Weight: 1.35 lbs (611 g) Dimension: 5.0ā€²ā€²x 4.8ā€²ā€²x 1.1ā€²ā€²(12.7 x 12.2 x 2.7 cm).

Allows you to set voltage. I can power the mixstream via Dc, or switch to usb to power my mc707 (with a myVolts cable).