Databases - what is stored where?

Been using Engine Prime for a week now - have to say it’s been a bit of a nightmare, corrupt databases a couple of times (with Beta), slow packing, even for a couple of files. Question is - what is stored where? I have an Engine Prime database on my Mac in the Music folder, an Engine Prime database on my External Drive that contains my whole library (originally from Rekordbox) and an Engine Prime database on my ‘Primed’ USB to be used in a prime 4. I keep making copies of all of them as I’ve had a nightmare with the software so far, but it seems that playlists possibly are kept on the Mac, Crate info on the actual external drive with all the music maybe? Just want to know what is where and how it’s best to backup. A slightly different issue - I’ve had a few times now an issue where when you click to highlight a track it doesn’t, unless you click specifically on the album art or further down on the key. It seems like the calibration is all messed up and won’t then let me drag anything to any folders etc. Often a reset will cure this. Anyone else had this?

Thanks

1 Like

You can easily find out what is on each database by opening the .db files using any SQLite browser software. I’m sure there are lightweight freeware programs around.

I can take a look but it won’t be until the weekend (free time permitting) so if you need the answer beforehand its best to DIY it.

Will try that, cheers for the reply!

This resource is rather informative https://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/engine_library_format

4 Likes

very good info @smckechnie :slight_smile:

anyhow what’s the deal with the s* files? they’re almost the same size as the “regular” files and have the same structure. the problem with these is that they double the library’s size which is quite extensive already. for example in my test db i have 1350 tracks without artwork and each of the p.db files is close to 250mb. so with just 1350 tracks i’m at 500mb for the db already.

The EP database size is ridiculous. Probably why it sits there churning away for so long sometimes.

My VirtualDJ database is 45MB. Storing info for the exact same set of files, the EP database is 14GB!

the size of the regular files (i.e. not s*) is okay since they store the waveform. which is great because no matter where in the track you tap or click, the display is instant unlike serato or traktor.

what bugs me is the duplication caused by the s* files. is that necessary?

Did you import from Serato by any chance? Don’t quote me on this as I haven’t really looked into it but I think s* files are Serato import database, r* files are rekordbox and t* files are Traktor.

I agree with you on this.

sorry guys, you’re both wrong. i just tried it and the s* files are always created.

That may be so, but I haven’t imported data from Serato, Traktor or Rekordbox, and my S, T & R files are very small - suggesting that someone who imported from Serato would have a big s* file and so on.

good point, that seems to be the case. more importantly, deleting the s* files doesn’t seem to cause trouble so the duplication issue is solved :slight_smile:

Do not mistake the track DB with the info db. The track DB, which is on the music disc is indeed a lot larger as it contains more information. The EP db which is in the computer is much smaller.