Custom BPM

I like to sort my tracks in BPM. I would like to add a column with a preferred BPM that can be saved with each track. This would make the track appear in the right spot on all my playlists.

With Sync active this is acquirable already, but I would like to be able to save it and use it without Sync. So if a track has a saved BPM, the track is loaded at that BPM. This would be even greater for tracks from streaming services.

This would be an Engine Exclusive killer feature! Wouldn’t you also like to see this feature?!

First of all you should create a new feature request in the appropriate section.

Then honestly I did not understand anything. :joy: :joy: :joy: Maybe give some examples or maybe explain better what you want.

I think I understand it, but I think it definitely falls into the ‘niche’ category.

As far as DJing goes, wouldn’t that just make your library even more restricted by essentially saying ‘I only want to play this track at XYZ BPM’ meaning you’d never play it at certain parts of the night and potentially miss out on using the track in different situations.

No, It’s really simple. Let say you wanna play “Freak Like Me” with Adina Howard. That track is 91 BPM. But I think the track feels better today at 95 BPM. So instead Re-Recording it to 95 BPM, I would like to save the pitch at +4.4% on load. Just like the Sync function.

The Original file Locally and on Streaming is still 91 BPM.

1 Like

Isn’t that just basic track knowledge and part of the fabric of DJing though? we seem to be at the point where ‘DJs’ don’t want to have to think about a single thing, or have any knowledge of their tracks at all, when things like this are being requested.

I mean, create a feature request for it by all means, let people vote on it to see how popular it is.

3 Likes

Moin @djsimonse,

I’m not qiute shure: Isn’t it possible to change the BPM in Engine DJ? Isn’t it fixed, if you changed the tempo?

Brgds BeatMaster

I understand what you are saying, but I think OP wants the grid snapped to 95bpm. You could set the tempo to whatever you choose, but if the track isn’t true to that bpm the grid will be off. I think OP is just going to have to put the tracks into an Ableton or presanus and change the track temp then analyze to have a true grid on his changed bpm tracks. Or mix in his new track by ear

They want a 2nd BPM field in the database with ‘preferred BPM’ so they can save info for where tracks might sound better sped up or slowed down…l so a 90 bpm track might sound better at 95, so they’d want to have that info available.

2 Likes

Exactly, Stu-C. Single click.

My procedure right now is to take a track into Serato Studio and choose to speed I want and then bounce it to the preferred BPM.

But this solution comes with a monthly cost, time consumption and it can’t be applied to streaming services.

Hi, BeatMaster. You don’t want to change the BPM or Beatgrid on the original file locally or streaming. That need to be correct.

1 Like

This is part of knowing your tracks and how to program a set, whether it’s pre-planned or on the fly. If you know you like it at 95, then play it at 95.

This is an incredibly niche feature request, and I don’t think it’s going to get many votes.

1 Like

I typically start my set with the pitch fader at positive value. Say 5bpm higher.

Especially with RNB, hiphop, afrobeats, dancehall etc .

I tend play dance music house, tech etc near the zero.

Everything else is on steroids…I let pitch n time take the wheels :racing_car:

1 Like

Is this a “ the track was recorded at 105 BPM but personally I think it sounds better played at 120BPM “ sort of request?

If so, then shouldn’t this be one last thing that stays with the DJ; to decide per night, what speed to play a track at, depending on what tracks are played in context at that gig?

3 Likes

That’s what I understood it to be, forcing Engine to play at a specific tempo.

I typically started my 4.5 hour sets with house & progressive house between 126 and 130 (depending on my mood and how the crowd felt), and I’d slowly bump the tempo up to the point of finishing with techno & trance at anywhere from 132 to 140.

The actual numbers and sounds varied from night to night, but that was generally the plan… start (relatively) slow and increase the tempo & energy as the night progressed. This was with vinyl, so I had to know how fast I was playing and what was even possible to drop in (ie if I’m playing at 140, a track that’s 125 is never going to work). At least with digital, you have a display of exactly how fast you’re playing, so you’ve got that info right in front of you.

I think they specifically want a ‘preferred bpm’ column adding to the database so they can add their own preferred tempo. At least that’s how I read it.

1 Like

He said:

That sounds like a second BPM column, but that loading it to a certain pitch is something else.

If there were to be a column that allowed you to set a range of tempos you’d play a track (ie a 128 track that you’d only play a low as 125 and as high as 136). That could be interesting as a way to filter out tracks that won’t fit with the tempo you’re playing in, but I’m sure there’s other far more important features for Denon to implement.

1 Like

Ah yeah well spotted, i agree it’s a very niche request and can’t see it gaining much traction.

1 Like

Yes. It would be great if you could choose custom Key as well, besides custom BPM.

Well. It’s very convenient if you can preposition a track in a playlist by BPM/Key, every time you create a smart playlist or add tracks to an existing playlist.

For example, you have the ability to label Hot Cues. And it shows on the hardware, so you don’t have to remember what every Cue points does or when to hit it. That’s progress. It doesn’t make you less engaged in the craft.

It still pays to know and learn your records, the hot cue comparison is a little disingenuous as that labelling was put there mainly for people who want to perform drum pad routines with the cue buttons, so each component can be labelled.

Having the software automatically put a track on a certain BPM is essentially moving us another step closer to full auto mix territory. Add in a couple more automations and you have no need for a DJ at all, then it’ll be a case of visiting the job centre.

1 Like