Cue behaviour?

EDIT: I changed this to a feature request, as it seems my question was expected behavior. Can a mod place this in the correct category? Tnx!

What is the feature or ability you would like to have? When you hold the platter of a playing deck and press CUE, a new cue point is set, instead of jumping to the previous CUE-point. If Denon doesn’t which to change this behavior, at least provide a setting to allow the user to choose behavior.

What product is this feature for? SC6000, but probably whole Prime range.

How will this feature help you and others? Not having to retrain my muscle memory after years using products which resemble Pioneer style cue-ing, and even vinyl decks (because Pioneer tried to resemble vinyl…).

Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product? By my own experience, Traktor, and the whole Pioneer CDJ range since the CDJ1000. But probably every other DJ software, since everybody follows Pioneer anyway…

Does a workaround currently exist? Pressing shift+CUE, but when you’re expecting other behavior, the playhead will have jumped to the previous cue point before you realize you have to set cue points in another way. Thus meaning you have to start cue-ing all over again…

How often would you use this feature? Every single time I play a record which I want to cue past the very start, because of, for example, an unmixable intro.

Is there any additional information you’d like to add? See the original CDJ 1000 documentation: Pioneer DJ—Page 24 at page 25, chapter “Cue point settings”/“Amending the cue point”:

• Setting the CUE point in vinyl mode:
  1. During playback, where the playhead reaches the desired cue point, either press and hold the surface of the jog-dial, or press the PLAY/PAUSE button to pause playback.
  2. While continuing to press the surface of the jog dial, rotate it to return playback to the audio point just before the point you wish playback to begin.
  3. When the audio is at the desired cue point, press the CUE button while continuing to press on the surface of the jog dial.

— Original post, in which I thought I was doing something wrong —

Hey guys,

I noticed that when playing a track, holding the platter and pressing cue, the playhead jumps to the previously set cue, instead of setting a new cue at the position you’re holding the platter at, like most controllers do. On my SC6000 I thus have to hold platter, press pause, and then press cue.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there a setting I’m missing that changes this?

4 Likes

Shift + CUE

12 characters and a bit more

1 Like

Didn’t get that one?

Shift cue works. But counterintuitive when coming from Traktor or CDJ. And once you press there is no way back, expcept manual scrolling, quite irritating behaviour :wink:

You posts have to have bare min 12 characters.

1 Like

Actually this is like on CDJ’s - cue can be set in pause mode, but not when it is stopped only by vinyl mode (like in this case by holding the jog wheel).

I’m pretty sure it isn’t. See: Cue Point Settings - Pioneer CDJ-1000MK3 Operating Instructions Manual [Page 20] | ManualsLib at page 25:

Setting the cue point in the VINYL mode

1. During playback, when playback reaches the desired cue point, either press and hold the surface of the jog dial, or press the PLAY/PAUSE button (6) to pause playback.

2. While continuing to press the surface of the jog dial, rotate it to return playback to the audio point just before the point you wish playback to begin.

3. When the audio is at the desired cue point, press the CUE button while continuing to press on the surface of the jog dial.

This is only when Auto cue is ON. I had several CDJ’s 2000 nxs and nxs2. Pressing cue during playback always returned the playhead to the cue point. Only in Pause mode I could replace the cue.

I can’t remember I ever played on a CDJ, or even a twin Denon without autocue on :wink: Anyway, my muscle memory had this workflow built-in…

I found a little adjustment was needed coming to the Prime 4 as I switch between software (Serato DJ) and hardware (P4).

The Serato DJ workflow was so engrained in my brain that going to Engine threw me out when setting a temp cue.

I also found that the temp cue was a permanent cue and if I hit the cue button towards the end of the track, it remembered this the next time this track was loaded (making it a permanent cue?). When switching between SDJ and Engine, it confused me. I understand that each company does it their own way so just sucked it up.

2 Likes

Just for the sake of completeness, adding this video in here too, where I prove that Pioneer CDJ behaves different: Dropbox - IMG_0324.MOV - Simplify your life

Also discovered a few other topics regarding the same matter:

Bumping this because whenever I start to promote Denon Prime gear to fellow DJs I know, they consistently are “turned off” when I tell them about this difference between CDJ and Prime. I and those colleagues feel this is basic workflow.

5 Likes

I’ve found the Denon behavior to be annoying as well. Many times I’ve found a new starting cue point using vinyl mode, hit cue, and BAM, the deck jumps back to the previous cue point.

It’s REALLY hard to get used to that coming from years of CDJ usage.

4 Likes