Cloning External Hard Drive to a new External Hard Drive (Mac)?

Hello Fam!

I store all my music on an external hdd (FAT32) which is soon reaching its full capacity. I have a new external hdd I want to use and just want to move all my music to the new external hdd (going to use the old one as a recovery hdd and will format it).

My question is: How do I transfer all songs to my new external hdd, while maintaining all the songs + cue points in the playlists which I have made in Engine DJ? I tried copying a folder with music with a Playlist I have made in Engine DJ to the new external hard drive and Engine DJ did not recognise the songs (the playlists were empty). I was also considering cloning using ‘Disk Utility’ on Mac, but for that I have to format the external hdd to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is not the correct File Format for Engine DJ (should be ExFAT or FAT32). If someone knows how to do this in a simple way, a step-by-step guidance would be highly appreciated. Peace!

Carbon copy cloner should work

Source old drive

Destination new drive

Or you could try the free one….

1 Like

Carbon copy cloner is an essential bit of kit for all Mac Users. I use it every week to clone/back up my drives.

You also get a free 30 day trial if you install it, so you’ve got nothing to lose.

https://bombich.com/

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I used Carbon Copy since it was a 30 day free trial to use the software. I cloned everything from source to destination and also renamed the new hdd to exactly the same name as old one. Now Engine DJ can find all my songs in the playlists! Thanks for the support!

1 Like

You can also use it for the performance drives.

I don’t think it matters if the drive has the same name or even format.

Eg I have used it to make clones to drives that have different formatting eg exfat to fat32 etc

CCC used to be my go to tool to clone Mac’s before the T2 chip arrived.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.