Choosing dependency between rules in smartlist

Hello, I tried to set up a smartlist for two specific subgenres, but the names of the genres are similar to other genres, so I would need to set up a dependance for the rules.
I can only make all the rules depending on each other, but this would not work and show nothing. Otherwise, when I unselect the match all rules there would be plenty of music I don’t want to be in the smartlist.

For Example:

I want a Smart Playlist to contain some “experimental” bass tracks.
The Genres the smartlist should be looking for are for example: Experimental Bass; Psychedelic Bass; Downtempo Bass and Leftfield.
Since my library has a lot of drum and bass and bassline house, I want to exclude those songs. But if there is some leftfield house (if there is such thing, this is just and example) I would like to have it pop up in the playlist.

So there must be some sort of drag and drop style within the rules window to make rules depending on each other by dragging them on the rule they should match with.

Maybe I have to set up a requests, but I wanted to discuss the idea first, maybe there is a workaround.

I may be reading this wrong but it seems like you’re over complicating your search criteria, if you just put the 4 genres you’re actually looking for in the parameters then surely it adds them?

If you add 4 different rules, one for each genre but put ‘equals to’, then untick the ‘match all rules’ option, it should fill your playlist with tracks containing those 4 genres.

2 Likes

Maybe you’re right, I just want to have all genres containing bass in it, without drumandbass and house, but I also want it to have leftfield in it, so I might go and search all bass genres and add them in a less complicated criteria.

I just tested it on my own desktop app and was able to include 2 specific genres in a playlist by adding 2 rules with the ‘equals to’ criteria then unticking the match all rules box, it looks like it added all my music from those 2 genres.

2 Likes

But would this work with more?

To be clear there are like 7 or even more genres with bass in my Library and I want to add all of them and also anything leftfield, easiest to me would be say anything bass and leftfield goes in but nothing that’s drum and bass or bassline house, because those are the two genres I would not want to have in that list

I gotta try around when I’m on my pc again, thanks for your input so far.

I wouldn’t be using a wildcard entry like ‘bass’, especially if you also want to exclude some genres containing the word ‘bass’.

If its based on SQL its going to be extremely difficult to both include and exclude wildcard entries.

If you just add 5 different criteria, each containing the full genre you want to include, using the ‘equals to’ logic, then untick the box, it should add all 5 genres for you.

1 Like

I edited my statement from before, and well the thing I encounter with experimental music is that it can be combined with so many other genres. I have like five or more genres that have bass in it, and as I dig more into this kind of music, could be possible that I will find new combinations and it would be nice if I have a place where I can find them all at once without a lot of work beforehand.

Okay I think I will just go and add the genres to the rules and update it when I stumble on anything new.

1 Like

I’m finding this thread quite amusing (no offence intended). If bass is a genre, then logically I assume treble is also a genre, and midrange (presumably music with no bass or treble?). :grin:

I read an article recently that Spotify have more than 6000 “genres”, many of which they just make up in order to pigeonhole the music.

1 Like

Its one of my pet hates in DJ/Music world, people being anally retentive around what specific micro genre a DJs set is, and trying to call others out who have a different name for it… ill never get why people have to drill down to the far end of a fart for every single thing, completely missing the point of what ‘music’ is there for.

I commented on a Floorplan video that it was my kind of Techno, fast funky and filtered (Which it was). I got people telling me how wrong i am and how its House Music and how only stuff RIchie Hawtin plays can be considered Techno and how little i know about music… funny thing i was probably listening to Fergie, Dave Clark, Trevor Rockliffe etc playing that brand of funky Techno before half these know it alls were born.

1 Like

1 Like

Yes true, I get the point. For me I like to see where something comes from and when artists claim their music is basspoo then I’ll tag the music as basspoo :smiley:

I don’t like to have them all called IDM or experimental, I want to see in wich direction the track goes and having psybass is different to future bass. They may all share some similarities in where they have evolved from but they follow completely different influences.

This is why I wanted to discuss if it’s meaningful to improve the smartlists at first hand.

1 Like

that’s still little too industrial for my tastes… im talking more about this kind of stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.