Can't use an External Lacie drive to store music to be used for importing to Engine DJ?

Lmbo no pioneer get issues they silence you and either drop the priduct or release a new one to hide it… rx range… sx range … and you say denon got issues :microphone::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy:

Well, my 3000s run flawlessly, and Rekordbox, though not perfect, is leagues beyond Engine DJ by comparison. So yeah, I stand by my statement. Oh yeah, and all these companies are guilty of abandoning products, including Denon. But credit is due to Denon for reversing course on their prior practice of censoring comments/opinions that are critical of them. They took the Serato approach…best in the biz when it comes ro open discourse.

1 Like

Lol I can confirm that Pioneer deletes negative comments and they even allow themselves to criticize other brands during demos in stores. Pioneer software level they have no merit, because it is MixVibe who developed it, so it’s not like they are starting from ZERO. RB was unstable from 2010 to 2015 and even after, they took time to have something correct, it remains well below Traktor and Serato especially in terms of DVS management. Pioneer makes new with old sold at a premium price.

I can say it … because I am a former authorized dealer of the brand for more than 10 years.

4 Likes

Yup couldnt agree more. They get thrown a problem and the devs do actually work on fixing them. No they may not do it overnight. But hell rome wasnt built in s day ( but i wasn’t on that project). Serato took ten years to get to where it is we have to remember the primes are groundbreaking tech built from scratch

Yup, I agree as well, hence the reason I wrote this…

But they REALLY NEED to bring back APFS/HFS(+)/NTFS support for External Collection drives!! It’s inexcusable!!

No… it is not an obligation! because these formats are reserved for operating systems and not a storage standard for multimedia players! Windows cannot read media in APFS or HFS+ format and likewise the Mac will not be able to read the contents of storage media in NTFS format unless you have Paragon or other software that supports NTFS format.

The basic formats are Fat32 and Exfat.

The Fat32 will soon disappear while Pioneer still maintains that it is outdated and the most universal standard in terms of capacity and large file management is the ExFat.

1 Like

Do you even know what we’re talking about here, @DjMell26?!?

No one is suggesting that the perfomance drives support APFS/NTFS. It makes perfect sense why those are limited to FAT32 & ExFAT. We’re talking about “external” collection drives that Engine DJ uses. Pre-2.0 Engine Prime supported APFS/NTFS/HFS(+) on “external” harddrives. Post-2.0 Engine DJ does not. It’s stupid! Literally every DJ software (Serato, Traktor, Virtual DJ, Rekordbox & RBDJ…literally ALL of them) out there support those file formats for “external” collection drives! I repeat, NOT “performance” drives, but “collection” drives!

So…I reiterate, not supporting APFS/HFS(+)/NTFS for “external” collection drives is inexcusable!! It’s a MAJOR move backward! Engine DJ is literally the only DJ software out there that doesn’t support them!

*Oh, and not that it’s pertinent to this conversation at all, but Pioneer did add support for ExFAT perfomacnce drives a while ago. At least on the XZ and 3000s…don’t know about support for any of their other gear though.

In reality, it’s not Engine Dj Desktop that doesn’t support these formats, but the basic operating system! Engine will not recognize the NTFS drive on a Mac because the Mac OS does not support it and Windows will not recognize the HFS+ and APFS format.

Then we talk about compatibility with the risk of destruction because of this pseudo compatibility it will not be natural for the PC or the Mac to read these different formats reserved for the OS.

I’ve seen quite a few RB crashes with an Apple format on a Windows (it’s a more stable Mac for reading other formats, but I’ve seen disconnections).

With my Mac I manage to access a Time Machine disk with Engine Dj Desktop in APFS!

I think his problem comes from the support of USB 3.2 we do not even know what year and his Mac and what OS is installed in it?

1 Like

I honestly can’t figure out why, but you still don’t seem to get it @DjMell26…the absence of this functionality is not open for debate. It’s a stated fact! It worked before, and now it does not. It’s not a limitation of Mac or PC Operating Systems, or USB protocols, or whatever other speculation you had.

Here, read ALL the comments in this thread, including the 8 month old repsonse from @JWiLL about how they are sorry for taking the functionality away, and how they are eventually going to reimpliment it…

You have no idea what you are talking about. Denon have already said it was an oversight. They just haven’t fixed it still… Well at least not that I know of I had to jump through hacks. BTW, it works perfectly fine as APFS on THUNDERBOLT (as I currently run) or internal bus.

1 Like

@DjMell26

1. It’s the Library collection not the performance drive we need them to bring back support for.

Library = the drive that holds the music files we use with our computer

Performance = drive we export music to for use with the denon devices

1. I am yet to come across any computer software that does not work with externals in APFS, HFS or NTFS. Perhaps you may want to share examples.
1 Like

No it doesn’t (for me at least - maybe I lucked out and you lucked in?). I had an APFS formatted filesystem and it was not usable (see my screenshots above). The only workaround I could find was to shrink the partition and create an exFAT one, move all the music over to that and then restart my collection from scratch as … of course… you can’t move music and have it recognised by Engine DJ again. On that note, however, I’m writing a java app that will be able to update your DBs for you if you want to move your music. Another thing I can’t believe doesn’t already exist, so let me know if anybody wants to help test that app (might be a week or two though before I’ve done it).

I think there must be a problem of comprehension and translation!

First of all, I admit that at first I thought you were talking about being able to use external disks in NTFS or HFS+ or APFS format with the various Prime players, so yes… I had misunderstood the request.

So if I understand correctly… it’s a request to access external content with a disc in the format quoted above and that’s what I also understood in my last answer.

For my part I use SUDO command lines to force access and compatibility of old software abandoned by developers installed on different type of disk format, so I don’t encounter this problem, if that’s what you speak, because this line applies to all the software installed on my Mac on the other hand… it’s troubleshooting, that’s maybe why I haven’t encountered this kind of accessibility problem and for once, I did not look for more.

For my part, I no longer have a single backup on disks in HFS+ format. Before the HFS+ was more or less correct, it was sometimes necessary to carry out permission maintenance and other odds and ends with the disk utility, or even more advanced analyzes with ONYX.

There you are telling me that with Engine Dj Desktop for example installed on your Mac, you no longer have access to an external disk in APFS or HFS+?

Being French, I go through Google Translate to communicate and it may be that the terms I use are not the best and therefore the translation is not very understandable and the same goes the other way around.

On those, sorry!

I assume you are talking about APFS on USB connection. This does not work. APFS on a Thunderbolt or internal (both of with are PCIE) works.

1 Like

As @custa1200 said the APFS will work with Engine DJ if you connect the drive via Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3.

If you connect via regular USB it will not work

1 Like

No work :frowning:

Ahh… ok I was using Mac OS Extended, not APFS though.

Anyway… I appreciate all the commentary here, I’ve just used exFAT now as that is somewhat cross platform and that has “solved” this issue for now.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.